Im a blackberry user from 2000 Ive had my fair share of crackberries but this is the first Blackberry device ive had that I must say that im dissapointed in. Its not the Hardware.. I love the hardware. Its the lack of support from R.I.M they seem to be asleep at the wheel with this launch,

You have gps that barely works for some and others (me) it doesnt work at all, you have videochat capabilities but the only ppl you can videochat with are other playbook owners, I know about the web based video systems but the point is apps should have been created before the machine was launched. R.I.M's own developer TAT hasnt really even given this tablet a healthy dose of apps. If R.I.M didnt have the support of developers at launch they should have internally developed apps comparable to the ones that are missing. Besides Facebook,Bing,and Poynt. No one else is really supporting the playbook and as sales fall off theres no reason for developers to jump on board and want to develop for the playbook, Im really worried that alot of us just blew our money on this thing, and it will never be supported,

I would not be suprised if R.I.M announced they are abandoning the playbook and sticking to their qnx based phone development, the Playbook was a great idea but had the worse possible implementation into the market. I have a 16gb Playbook and im giving R.I.M until the end of August to make some strides. If not im selling it for $300 and cutting my losses.
    M.Rizk likes this.
    07-05-11 06:35 PM
    Uh oh. This will not end well.
    STARSCR34M likes this.
    07-05-11 06:36 PM
    I Think you are mistaken, The Playbook is RIM's first foray in Consumer electronics,

They HAVE to put development on a side burner to get back to CORE business and get OS7 devices on the market. after we see OS7 devices you can expect the Playbook to get more attention again, RIM's share prices continue remain low until they get back to selling phones, the Playbook is a test bed for a new OS, and they are doing a good job with it IMO,

It is unfortunate it does not meet your expectations but RIM has invested far to much into the tablet to abandon it.
    07-05-11 06:39 PM
    I Think you are mistaken, The Playbook is RIM's first foray in Consumer electronics,

They HAVE to put development on a side burner to get back to CORE business and get OS7 devices on the market. after we see OS7 devices you can expect the Playbook to get more attention again, RIM's share prices continue remain low until they get back to selling phones, the Playbook is a test bed for a new OS, and they are doing a good job with it IMO,

It is unfortunate it does not meet your expectations but RIM has invested far to much into the tablet to abandon it.
    I hope youre right but doing a good job with it? I disagree, how many of the things they have announced at blackberry world have actually happened? Blackberry world was May 3-5th.. They showed Angry Birds... Native Mail... Android Player... Not one of those things have materialized.
    07-05-11 06:41 PM

They HAVE to put development on a side burner to get back to CORE business and get OS7 devices on the market. after we see OS7 devices you can expect the Playbook to get more attention again.
    This proved my point.. why release a product that you arent ready to support?
    07-05-11 06:44 PM
    Because RIM's management has NO bloodly clue about marketing

RIM Failed to get a 2011 Device round up prepared!
    and They Took a MAJOR beating in stock price as a result so to stave off stock holder revolt they needed to scramble, the put too many eggs in the Playbook QNX basket, and this left them unable to fill the number of commitments they have. having to put the Playbook on the side burner to get devices that should have launched in April/May/June out to market for August/September/October before the next earnings call
    07-05-11 06:49 PM
    it's a chicken and egg problem, developers doesn't come with out a device in market, ipad didn't had 100000 apps on day 1 and it took good 1 year for it to built up the momentum however, every thing that the Playbook can do in its current form---it does a lot better than the iPad2 does. (namely consumption of media - playing/streaming video, surfing the internet, multitasking, music, etc.). The browser is one killer app on the playbook and give RIM some time to get required certifications to attract some major developers. RIM is doing everything in it's might to push the platform forward and i don't see it dropping QNX or the playbook. The game developer API's are coming, NDK is coming, Android player is coming and tat goodness will unleash the Tablet OS 2.0 awesomeness, I htink by fall 2011 we should see some goodies in the playbook kitty
    07-05-11 07:06 PM
    Im a blackberry user from 2000 Ive had my fair share of crackberries but this is the first Blackberry device ive had that I must say that im dissapointed in. Its not the Hardware.. I love the hardware. Its the lack of support from R.I.M they seem to be asleep at the wheel with this launch,

You have gps that barely works for some and others (me) it doesnt work at all, you have videochat capabilities but the only ppl you can videochat with are other playbook owners, I know about the web based video systems but the point is apps should have been created before the machine was launched. R.I.M's own developer TAT hasnt really even given this tablet a healthy dose of apps. If R.I.M didnt have the support of developers at launch they should have internally developed apps comparable to the ones that are missing. Besides Facebook,Bing,and Poynt. No one else is really supporting the playbook and as sales fall off theres no reason for developers to jump on board and want to develop for the playbook, Im really worried that alot of us just blew our money on this thing, and it will never be supported,

I would not be suprised if R.I.M announced they are abandoning the playbook and sticking to their qnx based phone development, the Playbook was a great idea but had the worse possible implementation into the market. I have a 16gb Playbook and im giving R.I.M until the end of August to make some strides. If not im selling it for $300 and cutting my losses.
    So... because it doesnt suit you - RIM will abandon it?

The PB does everything I need it to. I am about 90% satisfied with the product and purchased it for what it is and not what I want it to be.
    07-05-11 07:12 PM
    you have videochat capabilities but the only ppl you can videochat with are other playbook owners

ok, so look at the bigger picture, ALL BB`s with QNX and FFC`s will be able to use it. this ent a sprint, its a marathon.
    07-05-11 07:13 PM

PM me at the end of August then, I'll be ready for at least a 2nd or 3rd one for around the house. : )
    bharuch7282 likes this.
    07-05-11 07:14 PM
    The Playbook is the first of many QNX devices. It is the entry medium for their new software which is still in early stages. All of the upcoming additions will fill in the gaps and make the platform even MORE ready for primetime with the devices. Things like support for 3G/4G radio stacks, native PIM apps, and NDK are all things that are even more important for a smartphone.

The Playbook will only get better from this point on. It's not going anywhere and I look forward to what QNX, TAT and other creative minds have in store for it.
    BrokenSaint and grover5 like this.
    07-05-11 07:21 PM
    Im a blackberry user from 2000 Ive had my fair share of crackberries but this is the first Blackberry device ive had that I must say that im dissapointed in. Its not the Hardware.. I love the hardware. Its the lack of support from R.I.M they seem to be asleep at the wheel with this launch, You have gps that barely works for some and others (me) it doesnt work at all, you have videochat capabilities but the only ppl you can videochat with are other playbook owners, I know about the web based video systems but the point is apps should have been created before the machine was launched. R.I.M's own developer TAT hasnt really even given this tablet a healthy dose of apps. If R.I.M didnt have the support of developers at launch they should have internally developed apps comparable to the ones that are missing. Besides Facebook,Bing,and Poynt. No one else is really supporting the playbook and as sales fall off theres no reason for developers to jump on board and want to develop for the playbook, Im really worried that alot of us just blew our money on this thing, and it will never be supported,I would not be suprised if R.I.M announced they are abandoning the playbook and sticking to their qnx based phone development, the Playbook was a great idea but had the worse possible implementation into the market. I have a 16gb Playbook and im giving R.I.M until the end of August to make some strides. If not im selling it for $300 and cutting my losses.
    I got exactly what I paid for and I also expect RIM to get this tablet to the top of the pile. If you think that RIM is going to abandon the playbook, why wait until August? Why wait until the last minute. Sell now while you can. You are not happy and the playbook hasn't met your expectations, so what is a month going to do? It may take longer and I personally would like to see less threads of whiners. QNX is the future of the blackberry and RIM is not going to abandon their edge over the competition. Your 500 dollar purchase pales in comparison to the hundreds of millions RIM has spent on the playbook.

I do think that it would have been nice if TAT astonished us with some killer apps. I was expecting more than the scrapbook they made. Of course it will be nice when more developers and businesses pick up the playbook, but RIM made some bold choices to go it alone and this is the road success. If it were easy what they are doing, there would be hundreds of companies trying to build a new OS from scratch. RIM will get it done and I hope you get your wish of improvements by August, but it may take longer.

I use my playbook about 8 hours a day and it has yet to let me down. It does what I need it to and it does it better than any tablet out yet. I am also frustrated that there is so much more under the hood that is not being taken advantage of, but I am confident it will get better as developers and RIM get it dialed in. The playbook is less than 3 months old and it isn't a treat of the week.

RIM put the best possible hardware into the tablet, so they could focus on the software end of things, unlike apple who expects to pump out multiple versions of the same product with incremental improvements. The ipad3 will come by Christmas and the ipad2 owners will line up again to buy the next incremental improvement from apple. I like RIMs approach and you should too as the updates we get are free. By Christmas you will have a new playbook from where it is now and I am sure by then TAT will have put some things together as well as other major things will start appearing on the playbook.
    Last edited by Schlymer; 07-05-11 at 07:32 PM.
    07-05-11 07:23 PM
    Anyone want to trade for an iPad 2 or Galaxy tab....? I didn't think so.
    07-05-11 07:30 PM

Woah, woah, woah. The PlayBook is RIM's FIRST foray into consumer electronics? Absolutely ridiculous. All of RIM's devices have been BES capable, but they live and die by consumer sales. This may be the first device to depend ONLY on consumer sales, but it's not their first product in the consumer space.

RIM knows better than to think OS7 devices will sell well, and they're fools if they're allocating resources towards that by diverting them away from the PlayBook and overall QNX development.

That said, there is such a thing as a money pit. If the time being spent on the PlayBook is being wasted, then they will stop wasting it. Right now, they're still spending a lot on the PlayBook. The BlackBerry trucks are going to tons of major events, and they're throwing a lot of money into advertising. If it doesn't start yielding results soon, they're going to stop. Simple as that.
    07-05-11 07:32 PM
    I really love my playbook. It has replaced my home computer. I can understand if it isn't something that works for you. However, I think its a stretch to assume the things you value to the point of abandoning a device are the same for the other users who have invested in this tablet. I will definitely be patient and enjoy the upgrades but that is easy for me because I love the current product so much. I think it might not be a good fit for you OP, and you might want to find a better tablet for your needs. There are many to choose from and you might find the perfect one for what you want in a tablet
    Schlymer and bAAx like this.
    07-05-11 07:32 PM
    Woah, woah, woah. The PlayBook is RIM's FIRST foray into consumer electronics? Absolutely ridiculous. All of RIM's devices have been BES capable, but they live and die by consumer sales. This may be the first device to depend ONLY on consumer sales, but it's not their first product in the consumer space.

RIM knows better than to think OS7 devices will sell well, and they're fools if they're allocating resources towards that by diverting them away from the PlayBook and overall QNX development.

That said, there is such a thing as a money pit. If the time being spent on the PlayBook is being wasted, then they will stop wasting it. Right now, they're still spending a lot on the PlayBook. The BlackBerry trucks are going to tons of major events, and they're throwing a lot of money into advertising. If it doesn't start yielding results soon, they're going to stop. Simple as that.
    I just wanted to add that despite your conviction this is strictly opinion. I actually disagree with most of what you said. It doesn't make me anymore right than you but it most likely suggests I will remain a RIM customer in the near term and you will not.
    07-05-11 07:35 PM

I mobile phone is NOT a consumer electronic, it is a communication device.
    That was my intention with that statement.

I will have to check out if the definition is wrong,

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-11 07:37 PM
    I know I said this before, when you buy something, you must think about what you need it for, and then, in what you want it for... I bought my PB because I NEEDED a device portable, with HDMI output for presentations, an awesome browser, and yes, I also needed mail, calendar and contacts integration... Then, I WANTED something fun to use, so flash, multitasking, Itunes sync, and a great screen where some of the things I wanted it to have... Guess what? I had what I needed and must of what I wanted... Yes, It still needs polishing, but as for me, It means only winning from here on...
    Last edited by BrokenSaint; 07-05-11 at 07:40 PM.
    bAAx likes this.
    07-05-11 07:38 PM
    RIM did a good start and should put ample development to make the PB even better. The PB is not'a dead bunny. The PB has great bonez. Even the most critical troll reviewers have not said boo about what comez out of the box.

Early adoptorz of new to market of PB should not make comparison with older hardware that had several years to mature.

I find the PB fully functional for my needs ... remote Internet by WIFI and tether, bridge messages (to read email that are difficult to read on my BB phone), very compact size, ability to get weather, stockz, some photos and videos, yadayada. I have no need for native email or video conferencing (tho I would like to have Skype for international calls), nor gamez.
    Last edited by mandony; 07-05-11 at 07:52 PM.
    07-05-11 07:48 PM
    Where is everyone getting RIM removed resources from QNX development for OS 7? To my knowledge this has not been reported anywhere.
    07-05-11 07:51 PM
    I mobile phone is NOT a consumer electronic, it is a communication device.
    That was my intention with that statement.

I will have to check out if the definition is wrong,

Smartphones fall into the consumer electronics category, they are not just "phones", they are also "PDAs", with photo and video camera, media players, web browsers, games, third party apps, photo sharing, facebook, fancy instant messengers, bliblubliblubliblu. They are for everyday use after all and in many cases replace other conventional consumer electronics. Communication is just another ability/feature they have and one of the most used, but my laptop can also be a communication device, so can the playbook.

The playbook is more of a gadget, specific word, which is also a consumer electronic obviously.

Where is everyone getting RIM removed resources from QNX development for OS 7? To my knowledge this has not been reported anywhere.
    People and their weird ideas... if anything, playbook is just the beginning.
    Last edited by gbsn; 07-05-11 at 08:26 PM.
    07-05-11 08:20 PM
    IMO, RIM should have not released the PB before the native SDK was available. They should have released the native SDK, waited a month or two and then release the PB.

07-05-11 08:28 PM
    Anyone want to trade for an iPad 2 or Galaxy tab....? I didn't think so.
    I will take the ipad2......unless you were joking..
    07-05-11 08:34 PM
    I have a 16gb Playbook and im giving R.I.M until the end of August to make some strides. If not im selling it for $300 and cutting my losses.
    It's unfortunate that you feel that way but you may be better off selling it now to recoup the money you have invested in it.

It you find it still does not meet your expectations by the end of August, others will echo your sentiments and you may not even be able to give it away.
    07-05-11 08:36 PM
    I'd like to see a native file explorer, ability to make, rename files/folders, put files where I want them. The usb port being more useful then for charging and connecting to a computer. You know things like every other computer, laptop, tab (if they have a usb port) has and functions at the native level. I forget what else but there is more. Then of course dev support for it.

Everyone talks about apps which are needed but doesn't anyone want basic function also?
    07-05-11 08:43 PM
177 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD