I think it just died. I plugged it in to charge, came back and it was a black screen. I turned it off for a bit, when I turned it on I have a line down the middle of my screen , to the left of that I have more lines and very faintly the colors of the bubbles changing when you start it up. The other side is just the grey glow of a playbook that is off and charging. When I plug it in to my computer it tries to start up, I can see it connect to the computer then it detaches and turns off. I dont know what to do to fix this. I am out of the warranty period, and not the original purchaser anyways. Chaddface is, and this wonderful community that donated it to me provided the funds. Thank you for the kindness. I am gonna go and futilely try to get this thing running again. Peace.

Edit: On a whim, I placed it between two blocks of ice, because it has been getting really hot lately while I was using it. It actually got to where I would put the password in. I had faint lines randomly across the whole screen, and could hear the buttons clicking as I typed. Upon turning it back on and off again, I can see colors across the whole screen. Gonna put it between the ice blocks again I guess and see if maybe sufficient cooling might get it working again. I doubt it but I can at least try. (And yes, I am protecting it from moisture and condensation)
    Last edited by ThaSwapMeetPimp; 06-29-13 at 05:48 PM. Reason: New developments
    06-29-13 05:42 PM
    Bumping my own post because I seem to have gotten it to work!

My PlayBook has a back bulge (not that that necessarily has anything to do with it. I pressed in on it a little bit as I was turning it on and my display popped back up. My guess would be one of these times I have dropped it I knocked something loose. I am typing this as I mess with it, and I have found that I can go into standby and when I come back I lose my display again, unless I push in on the back anywhere in the lower middle to lower left quadrant (if the screen is facing you) as I press power to return from standby, but nowhere on the right half of the back. So it must be something loose. I am not brave enough to open it to fix it though, this seems to be working fine for now.

Edit: Upon researching the innards, the area I am pressing on has a battery and a cable which I am assuming is the video cable. For now I am going to have to use Battery Guru to keep it awake when I am not using it, and carefully monitor the battery. Anyone know where to get a plastic opening tool that is suitable for opening this puppy so I can see if I can fix it?
    Last edited by ThaSwapMeetPimp; 06-29-13 at 06:28 PM.
    06-29-13 06:15 PM
    The tool is called a spudger and kits are available in various places. Also see iFixit or similar sites.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails I think my PB answered my question-1372560721108.jpg  
    06-29-13 09:52 PM
    Getting vert hot... Bulge in battery area.... It could be your battery going nuts. How large was that "bulge"?? Alithium battery that gets too hot and start bulging can be extremely dangerous and a source of nasty fire..... Take care if you decide to open it or decide to plug it back on, you don't want a lithium battery to blow in your face!!!
    Personally, I wouldn't fiddle around with a battery that started swelling....
    06-30-13 07:33 AM
    Getting vert hot... Bulge in battery area.... It could be your battery going nuts. How large was that "bulge"?? Alithium battery that gets too hot and start bulging can be extremely dangerous and a source of nasty fire..... Take care if you decide to open it or decide to plug it back on, you don't want a lithium battery to blow in your face!!!
    Personally, I wouldn't fiddle around with a battery that started swelling....
    It's a known issue with many PlayBooks which occurred during manufacturing, the BB logo being stamped in to the back warps the plastic, and a heat sink is like right below that or somewhere very close, when the sink radiates the heat away it causes the back to bulge. The bulge is in the middle above the board. The batteries are on the sides. Not where the bulge is. Also, battery guru says my battery health is fluctuating between 87% and 88%, which its done since my battery health dropped to 88% originally, almost a year ago. I also have taken proper care of the battery since it dropped that low, I don't charge above 80 or let it drop below 20%, except every 30th charge, when I deplete the battery and charge to 100% to recalibrate the battery reporting.

My Playbook has always gotten hot, not where the batteries are but where the board is.

When I press in on the area I do I am not pushing that part of the case in to its original position, I am pushing it and everything under it in a little bit, which is reconnecting whatever is loose (I assume).
    06-30-13 06:22 PM
    Well, BlackBerry is sending me a RMA box, so as long as they dont determine I am at fault for dropping it I should have a fixed PlayBook within 7-10 business days after I get the box. If they determine I am at fault then I am gonna have to decide whether I want to pony up 150 bucks plus tax to get it repaired. But as I told them this issues symptoms started before I had dropped it so I dont see how that could be my fault.
    07-01-13 04:33 PM
    Good luck.
    07-01-13 07:23 PM