Maybe this thread should be in the Rumors and Mental Breakdowns forum.
    I really wish there was a way to remove useless commentary from threads.

Please don't take my thread into a negative direction. I provided an opinion with supportive statements as to my beliefs. If you disagree with it fine. Use some thinking skills and develop an intelligent rebuttal. Don't make moronic statements that adds nothing to the discussion.

Carry on...
    06-07-12 11:20 PM
    OP, I think you are correct. Moreover, I believe they stopped making PBs quite some time ago. They had to. Otherwise, it would be quite illogical for them to continue manufacturing PBs and incurring further costs after the 0.485 billion writeoff.

Also, do some math and you'll be able to estimate that 0.485 billion dollars translates into many more PBs than have been sold. This means that they have a lot of the written off inventory remaining from the past.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    06-08-12 02:12 AM
    Would it surprise anyone if they did discontinue the pb? RIM need to docs on what's important and quit wasting resources on anything but OS10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    06-08-12 02:17 AM
    I said that I don't see any marketing of any other tablet, and since I don't get National Geographic, I haven't seen it. Plus, the OP referred to the lack of prime time TV commercials, and I was responding to that statement. As to marketing tablets on TV, prime time or otherwise, I'm seeing nothing from anyone other than Apple. I assume that some of the manufacturers are advertising in computer mags or other tech related mags, but as to marketing to the general public, I don't see much from anyone other than Apple.
    edit- Well, now that I think about it, I have seen TV ads for the Fire, though nothing recently. But still, there are a number of other tablets out there that I have not seen marketed at all, at least recently.
    I guess it just depends on where you are I see commercials for the kindle fire and the nook simple touch with glow light all the time here in Washington, more so than for the iPad.
    06-08-12 04:14 AM
    I won't be surprised that the PlayBook in its current form might be discontinued (as much as I hate to say that). I think RIM's not giving up on the tablet market per se, but the PlayBook is a tarnished brand and RIM might bring in another type of device at some point (once BB10 launches and is going...)

Sigh.

I dont think that it is a tarnished brand.. Now its RIM itself that is tarnished. This device was suppose to prove that device we all waited for to prove RIM was serious after it first released the Storm on customers, screwed them with it then really screwed them by abandoning it and saying "sorry and about your bad luck." From the start they began messing up with the playbook, including missing their launch date, then by not having half the features and none of the apps equivalently priced tablets had (the price it is selling for now is what it should have launched at.)

In short, a year after launch the consumer is still being told "wait.....wait..... Its coming..... Just a little longer" meanwhile handheld gaming devices get the features this tablet doesnt. So, all that has happened unfortunately is that with the Playbook rim has reinforced firmly the opinion john q consumer has developed in his or her mind about the company. Its not the Playbook that has fallen out of favor, its the company.
    JeepBB and Haseleyman like this.
    06-08-12 05:24 AM

It just depends on what your definition of discontinued is.
    My favorite post here in a long time!
    06-08-12 07:30 AM
    If they discontinued the Playbook entirely that will be sad. I think it has potential. It begs the question though as to whether they will continue to support the PB and for how long (if they start discontinuing the models). At this point I'm not interested in shelling out more cash for a 4G LT---whatever (if indeed that even exists).

And I'm not interested in paying a huge extra for a data package because I'm pretty sure carriers will find a way to nix the bridge. It's a pity they don't move to quash speculation... people are going to wonder if, after the 16G the others are next for the can - and that's not going impress developers either. Or maybe we shouldn't be surprised - after all wasn't the PB a test bed for BB10?
    06-08-12 08:52 AM
    If they discontinued the Playbook entirely that will be sad. I think it has potential. It begs the question though as to whether they will continue to support the PB and for how long (if they start discontinuing the models). At this point I'm not interested in shelling out more cash for a 4G LT---whatever (if indeed that even exists).

And I'm not interested in paying a huge extra for a data package because I'm pretty sure carriers will find a way to nix the bridge. It's a pity they don't move to quash speculation... people are going to wonder if, after the 16G the others are next for the can - and that's not going impress developers either. Or maybe we shouldn't be surprised - after all wasn't the PB a test bed for BB10?
    I think the PlayBook is a HUGE test bed for BB10. With the Dev Alpha, we now have two development devices. BB10 should be Flawless.
    06-08-12 09:32 AM
    I have to wonder...why on earth, if you couldn't sell a wifi version of a tablet (which is what most consumers want imo) except at grossly discounted rates, would you then think it's a good idea to manufactur a newer tablet with a radio stack in it?
    Rello likes this.
    06-08-12 09:40 AM
    There won't be another PB. RIM loses money selling at the $200 range and slams into Android and Apple at the $450 range. At the higher price point, can you give me any reasons why John Doe would pick the PB over the others? Remember, people already don't want the $200 PB, why would they pay for the more expensive version?

The only reason people would pay $500 for a PB is if it's 10" AND BB10 is the "mother of all Oses". BB10 has to be incredible, revolutionary, life changing, dish washing, house cleaning, shoulder massaging, beer getting, and more to change people's minds. I don't think it will be/do any of those things.
    kennyliu likes this.
    06-08-12 09:40 AM
    I have to wonder...why on earth, if you couldn't sell a wifi version of a tablet (which is what most consumers want imo) except at grossly discounted rates, would you then think it's a good idea to manufactur a newer tablet with a radio stack in it?
    Enterprise
    06-08-12 09:43 AM
    There won't be another PB. RIM loses money selling at the $200 range and slams into Android and Apple at the $450 range. At the higher price point, can you give me any reasons why John Doe would pick the PB over the others? Remember, people already don't want the $200 PB, why would they pay for the more expensive version?

The only reason people would pay $500 for a PB is if it's 10" AND BB10 is the "mother of all Oses". BB10 has to be incredible, revolutionary, life changing, dish washing, house cleaning, shoulder massaging, beer getting, and more to change people's minds. I don't think it will be/do any of those things.
    Not fact. Your opinion that you are entitled to.
    Mr Bigs likes this.
    06-08-12 09:44 AM
    There was a Full page Ad in the Wallstreet Journal last week
    You mean this one?

I've seen this picture circulated alot on Twitter lately..although it's because everyone's poking fun at them..much like the fat kid at summer camp wearing a "Where's the Beef" shirt..
    06-08-12 09:48 AM

It's not that people don't want the PB. Every instance that I've showed it to someone or let them play with it. They were SOLD. They could not believe that it was only 200 bucks!

The problem is... No one knows about it. I never get asked "how's that blackberry playbook working out for you?" Nope, I get "What the heyal is that?!"

That's the problem.
    06-08-12 10:00 AM
    It's not that people don't want the PB. Every instance that I've showed it to someone or let them play with it. They were SOLD. They could not believe that it was only 200 bucks!

The problem is... No one knows about it. I never get asked "how's that blackberry playbook working out for you?" Nope, I get "What the heyal is that?!"

That's the problem.
    This may be true for some people, but there are also people who just plain don't want the Playbook.

In fact, I'd argue that if you lined up some of the better tablets out there, PB included, most people still wouldn't want it.
    06-08-12 10:10 AM
    This may be true for some people, but there are also people who just plain don't want the Playbook.

In fact, I'd argue that if you lined up some of the better tablets out there, PB included, most people still wouldn't want it.
    Why wouldn't they want the playbook? What is an advantage that an android tablet would have over the PlayBook? (I'm comparing android to PB because they've been marketed pretty evenly.)

Apps are not the issue. Cause Android has apps for days and their tablets don't sell either.
    Average Joes use these devices for social media, games, and Internet browsing. PB is competitive in all these areas.

Problem is the same for Android as it is for RIM. MARKETING

What does the average person call a tablet?

They call it an ipad. When you have that happening. You have cornered the market.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    06-08-12 10:23 AM

I'll think apps being equal they would.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 06-08-12 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Begs?????? Dang you auto
    06-08-12 10:33 AM
    Enterprise
    and ... maybe BBM on Playbook ? ;-).
    06-08-12 10:35 AM
    I think once BB10 comes out, or is on the verge... PB ads will continue. This way, people will buy them because they know they can get BB10 onto their PB.
    06-08-12 11:10 AM

Absolutely hits the nail on the head! I find it very odd that we haven't seen more - outside of an "email" - from RIM addressing the speculation that has been going rampant on twitter and is now making its way into the media. Two local radio stations, in Vancouver, for example, have been reporting the story that the 16 gig version has been abandoned by RIM ; then they go on to speculate is the 32 and 64 gig versions next?

Speculation be damned; its ultimately doing damage to the Playbook. If customers are sitting on the fence about the Playbook, and then they start seeing stories and hearing news reports that the 16 gig version is dead; and maybe the other ones will be as well, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that these people are going to be thinking twice before investing in the Playbook.

RIM should have been loudly and forcibly clarifying their position with the media in addition to clarifying/responding to various twitter messages proclaiming that the PB is dead. The fact that they haven't, at least too me, speaks volumes.
    Haseleyman, JeepBB and kennyliu like this.
    06-08-12 11:52 AM
    Dear OP,
    You have to recognise the PB is an unusual (make that special as it's the only one RIM has in the market running it's future OS) device in the tablet space in which everything else but the ipad is struggling for traction.
    Sales are not stellar but you don't just can such a device (RIM actually say they are committed to tablets) especially when you are still courting developers onto this OS. Discontinued? I really do not think so. Ceased production? Most likely as not long ago they had to write down some inventory so why make more?
    The PB is more than a year old and sales will have (naturally) tailed off though they were never spectacular. Advertising would do little for it except burn the resources they need to launch PlayBook 2, the new OS and the much awaited BB10 running phones.
    You point to the Alpha as evidence of the PB being dropped, but you fail to realise that for BB10 to launch with apps from day one, developers cannot rely on the PB (as most here have said, different forms factor) and running everything from a simulator. So the only credible way forward is a prototype and being a prototype it cannot give away now what they are working on, hence the PB resemblance and stripped down PB OS.
    I would even go further and say right now RIM are doing everything right in the circumstances.
    The 16G variant may be finally running out and RIM see no reason to make more to sell at the current price point, so are concentrating on pushing the high capacity ones which may be costing them less at current price points as flash memory is probably now cheaper than say 8-10 months ago.
    Lastly RIM may have been guilty of 'double-speak' like everyone in the past but to loudly pledge commitment to tablets whilst quietly bailing would be catastrophic.
    So no, the current PB may have had its run but tablets as a whole are still in the pipeline, they still need them, they just happen to have learned not to make more than they can reasonably sell, nor use manufacturers with shoddy workmanship etc.
    Last edited by Blackberry_boffin; 06-08-12 at 03:47 PM.
    06-08-12 12:23 PM
    the blackberry playbook isnt really discontinued, if that was so you still wouldnt be able to purchase it in stores

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-08-12 12:31 PM
    I agree they probably haven't been making any PBs of any kind for quite some time. The discontinued status in this case definitely means, "We're almost out, we're not making any more, there's so little stock left that we can't guarantee stores can be restocked."

Whereas the 32 and 64 are also not being produced at the moment, but the stock level is high enough that restocking a store is a pretty sure bet. By the time those run out, it would be time for an upgraded device anyway.

The problem with using any kind of negative statement linked with RIM in the media anywhere is that a lot of the public's general perception is this statement, which I've had spoken to me 4 times in the last month:

"I got rid of my Blackberry because they're going out of business. You should get rid of yours too before they go out of business and your phone doesn't work."

They quite literally believe that like, tomorrow, RIM is going to go bankrupt and someone at the Blackberry plant will flip a switch and brick 70 million phones worldwide. There is absolutely no consideration that with a subscriber base that large, someone might be interested in buying them out and continuing service, it's just a game over kind of mentality.
    06-08-12 02:08 PM
    Well, duh.
    Of course the current Playbook will be replaced with a newer model. Why wouldn't it?

But I don't think their gonna stop producing the 32 & 64 GB versions.
    Like they said, only the 16GB is being discontinued right now.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-08-12 02:39 PM
    1. There never was much marketing. I, personally have never seen a PB ad.

2. Since they are already overstocked why would they build more?

3. The BB10 phones will be much smaller than a PB thus not a replacement.

Additionally, the next generation PB (PB2) will undoubtedly be released at or near the same time as the BB10 phones.
    06-08-12 06:21 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD