First off, I'm a RIM supporter. My wife and I went from the Motorola Q (ages ago) to blackberry and never looked back. We both own 9860's right now with 16g Playbooks to match.

Here's why I believe the PlayBook has been discontinued:

1.) ALL U.S. MARKETING HAS CEASED: When was the last time you saw playbook commercials on primetime television spots? I see waaaaaaay more iPad commercials and they don't even need to. I mean come on, The Storm had a bigger marketing push! More than a year after release of hardware as strong as the PlayBook and Joe SixPack still does not know that your product exists is inexcusable. If I had a dollar for every time someone asked "what is that?", I'd be a richer man.

2.) ALL PRODUCTION HAS STOPPED: Even if RIM is waiting on B10 there is no reason to stop making a product unless you have no future plans to sell that product as is. In other words, either RIM plans to only sell 4g playbooks and totally drop the Wifi only option (which would be stupid) or they are changing the hardware of the Wifi only line but this current version of the Wifi only will no longer be sold. Either way, it's safe to say the current 16g, 32g, and 64g wifi only playbooks are no longer being produced and will no longer be sold once supply runs out. They are getting close to the bottom of the barrel of the 16g supply so it has been EOL'd. The 32 and 64 will be the next announced. Then they will announce a Playbook2.

3) BB10 DEVELOPMENT ALPHA DEVICE: Follow me here... Isn't the development alpha actually the PlayBook without a radio? What is the Development Mode of the current playbook for if developers are using the dev alpha device to develop apps? So developers have two development devices that are actually the same? It's because the PlayBook in its current format is being replaced by the first BB10 device and the Playbook2 will be "different" hardware wise. That's the only reason I can see for even creating the dev alpha device which the current PlayBook already IS the dev alpha device. So that leaves the 3g/4g radio as the reason for creating the dev alpha. Now, I've been a smartphone user for a long time and I'm no tech head, but even I know that there are not many apps that utilize the 3g attributes of any device that could not also work on the Wifi only version of that device. Yes there are some, but not many. So once again, why reproduce the same device for developers? Because the original is being phased out...

These are my opinions, not evidence based, but just things that make sense.
    06-07-12 12:21 PM
    3) BB10 DEVELOPMENT ALPHA DEVICE: Follow me here... Isn't the development alpha actually the PlayBook without a radio? What is the Development Mode of the current playbook for if developers are using the dev alpha device to develop apps? So developers have two development devices that are actually the same?
    Not to dispute what you're saying, but there is a good reason for the BB10 Alpha even with the PB. The different screen resolution is one thing. But also the smaller screen size requires different UI to test for suitable user experience.
    app_Developer likes this.
    06-07-12 12:58 PM
    I won't be surprised that the PlayBook in its current form might be discontinued (as much as I hate to say that). I think RIM's not giving up on the tablet market per se, but the PlayBook is a tarnished brand and RIM might bring in another type of device at some point (once BB10 launches and is going...)

Sigh.
    06-07-12 01:02 PM
    Rim isn't dropping wifi models they are just done with the now year old playbook and it's specs.

They will launch a lte playbook with upgraded specs and nfc and if all goes well they will launch more wifi only models with matching specs to the 4g along with possibly a 10 inch playbook aka black Forrest. If all goes well.

Also the reason the dev alpha was created is because It was initially code named the colt and was going to be the first blackberry10 phone. So why not give it away to devs to help create apps as it was canned anyway.
    Last edited by BB-Bmore; 06-07-12 at 01:26 PM.
    kbz1960, Hgouck, sk8er_tor and 1 others like this.
    06-07-12 01:23 PM
    Developer Mode allows you to install and test apps. That's needed for any device. The BB10 Dev Alpha is needed because it has a different form-factor, different hardware, different resolution and different (but similar) API's.

As for production: if the stockpile is sufficient, it is normal to pause or halt production of current models, especially if newer models are just around the corner.
    06-07-12 01:34 PM
    As to point 1, you're correct in that I don't see any marketing of the playbook per say. That being said, I don't see any marketing of any tablet other than the ipad.
    As to point 2, you're probably correct. Life moves on. At some point, you stop production of your current model to gear up for production of its replacement, in this case the long rumored Playbook 2. What else is new. Is apple still producing the ipad 2.
    As to point 3, how is the current PB the development alpha? Again, the rumors are the the PB2 will have a faster processor plus at least the option of 3G/4G. It would seem reasonable to let developers create apps that could take advantage of the upgraded hardware.
    As to the title of the thread, as I said, life moves on. But to say all playbooks have been discontinued seems wrong, since the PB2 will still be a playbook and its development seemingly pushes forward.
    06-07-12 01:35 PM
    In regards to Point #2, I haven't heard of them producing units in months. By that definition, it's been discontinued since last October.

It just depends on what your definition of discontinued is. Some people won't consider it since it's still selling at some stores.
    06-07-12 01:59 PM
    As to point 2, you're probably correct. Life moves on. At some point, you stop production of your current model to gear up for production of its replacement, in this case the long rumored Playbook 2. What else is new. Is apple still producing the ipad 2.
    Yes, I think Apple still is producing the iPad 2. I'm not sure how long rumored the PlayBook 2 is. Last I heard, it was basically a Playbook with a mobile connection.
    06-07-12 02:01 PM
    Yes, I think Apple still is producing the iPad 2. I'm not sure how long rumored the PlayBook 2 is. Last I heard, it was basically a Playbook with a mobile connection.
    The new 4G PB was rumored to have 1.5 GHz dual-core processor upgrade, and NFC.

I have no interest in having 4G on a tablet, since I'm not going to pay for data service when I get it free via my phone (bridge), or use wifi hotspot which is included in my plan. It would be nice if carriers pushed the 4G PlayBook, but I'm not holding my breath.
    06-07-12 02:14 PM
    clearly RIM mentioned to be dropping 16G just to focus on the other two and to continue making Playbooks while you have loads in stock, tell me Why?
    06-07-12 02:18 PM
    How can marketing be ceased if there was never any marketing to begin with?

Sarcasm aside, it wouldn't surprise me at all if manufacturing of all models of the Playbook has stopped. The real question is whether or not manufacturing has ceased.

RIM has continued to argue that they are not giving up on the Playbook/tablet market, but depending on circumstances within and outside of the company, this decision may no longer actually be up to them.

As to the new 4G PB, as my skepticism is extremely high now with RIM and their future, I'll believe it when I actually see it in stores for sale.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    06-07-12 02:23 PM
    Why get rid of the 16 GB version? Is RIM planning on dropping the price of the 32 GB version once they release the BB10 devices? I am very happy with my PlayBook and I only paid $50 - 75 out of my own pocket thanks to gift cards.

It is true that you don't really see commercials for other tablets I think that "most" people, maybe just in the states see BlackBerry as "old" technology. Even with BB 10 coming out, Apple seems to have an overbearing grip on the Tablet & phone markets. If Apple releases a 7" iPad, you can kiss any chance goodbye.

Remember the Touch Pad? The "IPad killer"... Gone! The Amazon Kindle Fire is the most affordable consumer driven tablet out there. People who know what a PlayBook is are hard core technology driven users. The average shoppers go by word of mouth and what they see = Apple iPad.

It's really a shame because my PlayBook rocks and I love how great this device has run since the OS 2 update.

Time will tell... Till then, "Stay Calm & Be Bold"...
    bodjor likes this.
    06-07-12 02:39 PM
    The new 4G PB was rumored to have 1.5 GHz dual-core processor upgrade, and NFC.
    That would be disappointing, for me at least. I know NFC is a feature I would never use on a tablet. Give me Neflix, then I'm happy. I don't need a new processor. Not worth the upgrade to me.
    06-07-12 02:42 PM
    As to point 1, you're correct in that I don't see any marketing of the playbook per say. That being said, I don't see any marketing of any tablet other than the ipad.
    As to point 3, how is the current PB the development alpha? Again, the rumors are the the PB2 will have a faster processor plus at least the option of 3G/4G. It would seem reasonable to let developers create apps that could take advantage of the upgraded hardware.
    As to the title of the thread, as I said, life moves on. But to say all playbooks have been discontinued seems wrong, since the PB2 will still be a playbook and its development seemingly pushes forward.
    There is in ad of the Kindle Fire in the National Geographic magazine, I'd count that as advertising
    06-07-12 03:11 PM
    I also agree that the marketing of the playbook has not been very great, I have been a blackberry user at least 5yrs now and if not for having and loving BB phones I probably would not have known about the PB. I have not been a fan of apple products and never touched an ipad and have no desire. I usually have my PB with me every place I go especially when the great bridge app is needed. And still today a year after purchase when someone sees me using it they ask what is that. I was on a job once and needed to access a website that uses flash and this guy working with me had a laptop that could not access the Site. He was very surprised I was able to and again I was asked what is that. When I was waiting for the PB release I bought a cheap apad/epad whatever it was and that thing was crap. When I finally got a hold of the PB I was in heaven, I think what has happened is that some people see the PB as being similar to the cheap tablets especially how the prices have come down. I feel if marketing was beefed up alot more it would really help and actually allow more people to get a hold of one and try it out. Here in my little town will be an apple store opening next week, my 1st thought was more ipads coming to town.
    BB_Bmore and Stewartj1 like this.
    06-07-12 03:43 PM
    There is in ad of the Kindle Fire in the National Geographic magazine, I'd count that as advertising
    I said that I don't see any marketing of any other tablet, and since I don't get National Geographic, I haven't seen it. Plus, the OP referred to the lack of prime time TV commercials, and I was responding to that statement. As to marketing tablets on TV, prime time or otherwise, I'm seeing nothing from anyone other than Apple. I assume that some of the manufacturers are advertising in computer mags or other tech related mags, but as to marketing to the general public, I don't see much from anyone other than Apple.
    edit- Well, now that I think about it, I have seen TV ads for the Fire, though nothing recently. But still, there are a number of other tablets out there that I have not seen marketed at all, at least recently.
    Last edited by pacoman03; 06-07-12 at 03:51 PM.
    06-07-12 03:48 PM
    Well I see that it certainly didn't take too long for news stories and twitter feeds to go nuts today: if you look for #playbook or #rim, you will see a whole host of people now tweeting that RIM has abandoned the Playbook; ceased the production of the playbook; given up on the Playbook; or some other negative comment towards the Playbook. The Toronto Star headline is RIM ditches 16 gig Playbook while Reuters headline is RIM abandons the Playbook.

Assuming that RIM has every intention of continuing to support the Playbook, they really need to get ahead of the tweets and media on this issue and clarify, in no uncertain terms, that they have not abandoned the Playbook - rather, that they have just discontinued the 16 gig version.

The Playbook already has a difficult time as it is; if people think, based on what they are reading in poorly written media stories or via twitter, that RIM has abandoned the Playbook, then its all but game over.
    06-07-12 03:54 PM
    Assuming that RIM has every intention of continuing to support the Playbook, they really need to get ahead of the tweets and media on this issue
    And since when, in the past several years, has RIM's marketing team had the competence to positively spin company news.

Perception is reality. Due to their own missteps, RIM is now perceived to be a tech loser. Everything they do will be viewed through that lens.
    06-07-12 04:50 PM
    And a NFC module and a boosted processor.
    06-07-12 04:57 PM
    PlayBook in its first iteration has been produced for a massive distribution volume that obviously has not been reached. So much RIM had to write down stocks inventory.
    Now, it is almost certain that RIM will release a "Playbook2" with different chipset, processor and additional features (NFC, radio, ...) that will require to change the building process.
    It is obvious that the same process (and base components) will be used to build next-gen PlayBooks, even those that won't be radio enabled (the dedicated "radio chipset" won't be mounted).

In brief : RIM has stocks large inventory of PB (seems the 16GB is near end) and will continue to sell them as long as possible. In the meantime (I'd say by PB BB10 launch), they will start the production in large series of the "PB2" range, probably narrowed to two storage capacities (32/64 GB ?),with or without radio (witch makes 4 combinations instead of 6).

Sounds normal to me ... is it ?

Edited : "stock" is a "faux-ami" in French meaning "quantity in warehouse", not related to shares values.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 06-07-12 at 05:23 PM.
    06-07-12 05:07 PM
    Probably RIMM has a new model PB in the works with faster processor, a little bigger battery, reduced weight and improved looks. Hopefully this wont mean giving up the great advantages including the HDMI and the magnetic charger. But the price will have to be a little higher. All tablet makers are probably very anxious as to what Apple will do next but they probably already have a good idea about what but are not sure of when and how much the prices will be.
    Last edited by jpash549bb; 06-07-12 at 05:21 PM.
    06-07-12 05:15 PM
    Does anyone do research anymore or eat and regurgitate or put their own idea on it?
    dragons9sons likes this.
    06-07-12 05:33 PM
    And since when, in the past several years, has RIM's marketing team had the competence to positively spin company news.

Perception is reality. Due to their own missteps, RIM is now perceived to be a tech loser. Everything they do will be viewed through that lens.
    Sad but true.
    06-07-12 07:59 PM
    Maybe this thread should be in the Rumors and Mental Breakdowns forum.
    06-07-12 08:07 PM
    There was a Full page Ad in the Wallstreet Journal last week

That shows that BB is going back to the roots of what the PB was intended for, a companion for the BB phone through the bridge
    BB was forced to add all the native app because most none BB customers did not understand the purpose of the PB, and was forced as ATT and Verizon gave BB a hard time with the Bridge installation, I guess RIMM did not clear that with the carriers before
    I use T-Mobil and have to problem in the US

The WIFI version is fine when you have a BB phone and a bridge, I save at least $40 a month, which the carriers did not like
    I don't think a 4G as HSPA+ LTE will be a hit, that market is taken by the IPAD, plus it will not have the legendary BB email security
    The next BB phone will be 4g, and bridged

RIMM has to go back to the roots, there are 70 million BB subscribers around the would, so sell to 10% of these people a PB2 with BB10 OS, and you are back in business

Once the old stock is sold off you will see a PB2 with 1,5 mg ram, and a quad core
    plus a micro card slot

again BB and PB is a business tool, with the bridge nearly perfect
    I since my BB phone every night and have no problem
    and have all my files on the micro card, plus on dropbox

now I just wait for my keyboard, so no more 6 lb laptops to schlepp around

KOOLWATER likes this.
    06-07-12 10:43 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD