Hi,

I am not a developper, therefore I don't have any knowledge in programming. But I need a special APP to make my coaching life easier.

I have looked and searched throught the Apps, yet nothing...

I have decided to give it a try and look at the possibility of programming something myself.

Can someone explain me (briefly) the steps on how to do it?

Thanks a lot!
    08-06-13 12:49 PM
    Get the Momentics IDE, look up some good youtube videos on how to program in QT, Cascades, or WebWorks ( but I would stay away from the latter), Weekend coder on this blog will give you a good start. I started developing my own radio app but got to busy, once you get the hang of it -- its fun. I'm a IT Administrator so I enjoy it, but you really need to have the time. Also get a design drawn up before you even start a barebone of what it is you want to do, and keep a pad handy for cool features you think of along the way.

Good Luck! Feel free to add me on BBM I dont know that much but I know the basics in case you get stuck -- Just PM me and I'll give you my pin.
    08-06-13 01:03 PM
    Get the Momentics IDE, look up some good youtube videos on how to program in QT, Cascades, or WebWorks ( but I would stay away from the latter)...
    WebWorks might be easier to start with though? That way no need to learn an IDE or run a simulator, you can code everything in a text editor and test it with Chrome (and the Ripple extension).

Either way, plenty of options
    08-06-13 01:17 PM
    Get the Momentics IDE, look up some good youtube videos on how to program in QT, Cascades, or WebWorks ( but I would stay away from the latter), Weekend coder on this blog will give you a good start. I started developing my own radio app but got to busy, once you get the hang of it -- its fun. I'm a IT Administrator so I enjoy it, but you really need to have the time. Also get a design drawn up before you even start a barebone of what it is you want to do, and keep a pad handy for cool features you think of along the way.

Good Luck! Feel free to add me on BBM I dont know that much but I know the basics in case you get stuck -- Just PM me and I'll give you my pin.
    If it's a Playbook app he's wanting (which I'm guessing since it's in the PB forum) he won't be able to use Cascades and a lot of the weekend coder posts wouldn't be very helpful. OP, can you clarify what platform you're planning to develop on?
    08-06-13 01:30 PM
    If it's a Playbook app he's wanting (which I'm guessing since it's in the PB forum) he won't be able to use Cascades and a lot of the weekend coder posts wouldn't be very helpful. OP, can you clarify what platform you're planning to develop on?
    Totally missed that -- good catch!
    08-06-13 01:33 PM
    It's a playbook that I have. I have to admit that I am a bit disapointed 'cause my playbook does everything I want, it is perfect but I miss that special app very baddly.
    08-06-13 01:34 PM
    It's a playbook that I have. I have to admit that I am a bit disapointed 'cause my playbook does everything I want, it is perfect but I miss that special app very baddly.
    I don't know what functionality your required App needs to have, but is it possible to create a spreadsheet that does the basics?? You can do some fairly clever stuff with a well designed spreadsheet...
    FF22 likes this.
    08-07-13 07:02 AM
    no I've tried the spreadsheet and it's not good for me... I need something a bit like groovy note with extra's
    08-07-13 11:53 AM
    Silly question, but have you looked into options through Android? You may be able to sideload an app that does what you're looking for.

(For example, GameChanger Scorekeeper for Playbook and BB10 - Blackberry Playbook and BB10 Sports Apps :: Android APP Store – Blackberry Playbook & Z10 and Q10 Apps)
    08-07-13 12:13 PM
    Sounds like you want one app that does everything you want. That may be difficult but suggest you check the Apple store and Google play and maybe even Windows to see if anybody has come close yet. Although those apps may not be available for even side loading on the PB there might be some leads there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    08-07-13 12:47 PM
    Sounds like you want one app that does everything you want. That may be difficult but suggest you check the Apple store and Google play and maybe even Windows to see if anybody has come close yet. Although those apps may not be available for even side loading on the PB there might be some leads there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    I have looked the other product. But not yet what I want. If a developer has some time to look into it!
    08-07-13 01:50 PM
    steph_briere wrote: "I need a special APP to make my coaching life easier."

What is it exactly you want the app to do? What type of coaching - sports? I know someone who is into that sort of thing and could ask if he knows of anything that meets your needs.
    08-07-13 07:42 PM
    steph_briere wrote: "I need a special APP to make my coaching life easier."

What is it exactly you want the app to do? What type of coaching - sports? I know someone who is into that sort of thing and could ask if he knows of anything that meets your needs.
    I coach hockey, Box Lacrosse, Field Lacrosse and I also support a dozen coaches every years.

Basically I need something to follow my teams (around 4 every hockey, lacrosse seasons) and my coaches.

I don't necessary need a drill apps... I need more likely somekind of a project apps.

I presently use Groovy Notes. It's ok but has too many limitation for what I do.
    08-07-13 09:03 PM
    I coach hockey, Box Lacrosse, Field Lacrosse and I also support a dozen coaches every years.
    Basically I need something to follow my teams (around 4 every hockey, lacrosse seasons) and my coaches.
    I don't necessary need a drill apps... I need more likely somekind of a project apps.
    I presently use Groovy Notes. It's ok but has too many limitation for what I do.
    If you need an app, perhaps other coaches do too? Maybe work through the governing sports body? I would try that approach first.

These are the organization(s) I thought may be able to help. They are working with a number of sports organizations in making life easier for coaches and improving athlete performance.

The Sport Academy
    Moss Melien Consulting Services

To be honest, I doubt anyone would develop a specific app for the Playbook these days. But maybe for Android. There a number of other organizers besides Groovy Notes in Blackberry World and probably many more Android apps that could be side loaded. I know I went through them all and in the end used a paper notebook and ball point pen
    08-08-13 08:49 AM
    Thanks for the tips...

I actually found a programer who is willing to work on such a project....

For those who search for it... Be patient, it will happen.
    rossjackson01 likes this.
    08-22-13 07:53 AM