Short of the ideal imagined use of the BB phone keyboard to type into the PlayBook, has anyone had good success with a bluetooth thumb keyboard such as the Logitech diNovo Mini?

Amazon.com: Logitech Mini Controller for Logitech Revue and Google TV: Electronics
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 08-04-11 at 10:54 PM.
    08-04-11 06:19 PM
    I know for sure this keyboard works:

Amazon.com: ProMini 2.4GHz Tiny Wireless Keyboard (Built-in TouchPad/Laser Pointer) - Black: Electronics

I use it all the time when i connect via hdmi.
    08-04-11 06:42 PM

Amazon.com: ProMini 2.4GHz Tiny Wireless Keyboard (Built-in TouchPad/Laser Pointer) - Black: Electronics

Thanks but how is it for handheld thumbtyping? Looks like you would have to set it down somewhere to use it and with both hands... I like the phones because I can both hold it and type on it with one hand and one thumb. The Torch being kind of an exception because it's kind of top heavy with the keyboard open...
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 08-04-11 at 06:49 PM.
    08-04-11 06:47 PM
    I still miss thumbtyping. Am I the only one?
    08-04-11 09:33 PM
    what about something like this?

Welcome to Usb.brando.com
    08-04-11 09:45 PM
    what about something like this?

Welcome to Usb.brando.com
    Looks great thanks - have you tried it with PB? Anyone?

Or this?

http://usb.brando.com/slim-bluetooth...4c036d015.html

Glow in the dark feature is important...problem with these may be no pad or pointing device...unless I'm missing it.

This one looks insane - thanks for the link!

http://usb.brando.com/usb-2-4ghz-wir...1c034d015.html
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 08-04-11 at 09:57 PM.
    08-04-11 09:51 PM
    Thumb Typing. LOL I had to school my boy at work on this.

I have no problems with it, another reason (this is the 12th) why I love the PlayBook!
    08-04-11 09:52 PM
    Looks great thanks - have you tried it with PB? Anyone?
    Nope I haven't tried any keyboards with the Playbook as of yet. Looks like it should work... says it works with PCs, PS3, iOS devices, etc. Kinda looks like a Bold keypad.
    08-04-11 09:54 PM
    Thumb Typing. LOL I had to school my boy at work on this.

I have no problems with it, another reason (this is the 12th) why I love the PlayBook!
    You have no problems with what?
    Thumbtyping on PlayBook?

I kinda do because it takes two hands, you can only do it in portrait orientation, and the thing is kinda heavy compared to a phone..plus hating the virtual keyboard covering up so much of the display...and dislike virtual keyboards in general.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 08-04-11 at 10:45 PM.
    08-04-11 10:40 PM
    you ever thumb type and fist pump at the same time? on the pb?
    08-04-11 10:46 PM
    you ever thumb type and fist pump at the same time? on the pb?
    Nyuck nyuck nyuck! now you see where I'm comin' from...Curly
    ericlc2 likes this.
    08-04-11 10:52 PM
    Thanks but how is it for handheld thumbtyping? Looks like you would have to set it down somewhere to use it and with both hands... I like the phones because I can both hold it and type on it with one hand and one thumb. The Torch being kind of an exception because it's kind of top heavy with the keyboard open...
    it looks to be the same size as the logitech one you mentioned, i do use both hands to type on it, dont really set it down. if you would like i can make a video or take pictures of it so you can see how it looks in comparison to my torch it can help give you a size perspective just let me know if you would like me to do that.
    08-04-11 10:53 PM
    it looks to be the same size as the logitech one you mentioned, i do use both hands to type on it, dont really set it down. if you would like i can make a video or take pictures of it so you can see how it looks in comparison to my torch it can help give you a size perspective just let me know if you would like me to do that.
    Sure if you have the time...mostly interested in handheld thumbtyping or ultimately - one hand thumbtyping...

I guess I just miss my BOLD keyboard and trackpad which would be the ideal.
    Waiting for an app for that. But in the meantime...
    08-04-11 10:56 PM
    I find that I can type faster using 3 fingers+thumb for space on the PB than I can on my Torch.

Takes plenty of practice - always try to work it on when I'm waiting for something, or just don't feel like playing a game/browsing news on downtime.

Still can't work in the pinky very well....

AND just thought of a great app - PB typing practice app.

"Pavis Bacon Teach Typing"
    Copyright Pending
    Last edited by OverShadow417; 08-04-11 at 11:01 PM.
    08-04-11 10:58 PM
    I find that I can type faster using 3 fingers+thumb for space on the PB than I can on my Torch.

Takes plenty of practice - always try to work it on when I'm waiting for something, or just don't feel like playing a game/browsing news on downtime.

Still can't work in the pinky very well....

AND just thought of a great app - PB typing practice app.

"Pavis Bacon Teach Typing"
    Copyright Pending
    But can you do it with one hand while rubbing your belly with the other one and standing on your head?

I can with my Bold...

If you have to rest the device on anything it doesn't count.
    08-04-11 11:04 PM
    True, I'm generally holding the device with the other hand.

But eh - considering I type much longer things using the PB than the short text messages I send on the Torch - faster, with just about the same level of accuracy, makes me not miss the days of only thumbtyping.
    08-04-11 11:11 PM
    True, I'm generally holding the device with the other hand.

But eh - considering I type much longer things using the PB than the short text messages I send on the Torch - faster, with just about the same level of accuracy, makes me not miss the days of only thumbtyping.
    Fair enough - I guess I'm just faster at thumbtyping...and I like keys that you can tell you pressed without having to look at them to tell where to press them or if you pressed them right.
    08-04-11 11:17 PM
    I have a diNovo and it works perfectly with the PB, trackpad and all. I picked mine up used as I couldn't stomach $120 for a stupid wireless keyboard. However, it was the perfect pick for the HTPC at the time, so I grabbed it for $80.

If I was going to be carrying it around with the PB all day, I think I might consider a cheaper model, that would suck to have a $100+ keyboard get trashed out in the wild with me. And while they're not flimsy, I'd hate to see what one would look like after being stepped on.
    08-04-11 11:38 PM
    I have a diNovo and it works perfectly with the PB, trackpad and all. I picked mine up used as I couldn't stomach $120 for a stupid wireless keyboard. However, it was the perfect pick for the HTPC at the time, so I grabbed it for $80.

If I was going to be carrying it around with the PB all day, I think I might consider a cheaper model, that would suck to have a $100+ keyboard get trashed out in the wild with me. And while they're not flimsy, I'd hate to see what one would look like after being stepped on.
    Thanks - that's the answer I was looking for - how is it for one hand typing?
    Is it really a trackpad, or just a directional arrow type thing like a joystick? i.e Does the cursor accelerate depending on how much it is deflected?

I would probably just use it at the office rather than lug it around, but maybe they will make an otterbox for it?

As for the price I figure I saved that much by not getting a case or the 32/64g...would rather have this...but yeah 120 is bit steep...

Still accepting submissions for other keyboards however before I spring for it.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 08-05-11 at 12:02 AM.
    08-04-11 11:56 PM
    Here are some pics for you to compare the size vs a torch. Not as compact as a bold keyboard but still pretty small. Gluck hunting if you need any other pics let me know.
    08-05-11 12:13 AM
    Thanks - that's the answer I was looking for - how is it for one hand typing?
    Is it really a trackpad, or just a directional arrow type thing like a joystick? i.e Does the cursor accelerate depending on how much it is deflected?
    One handed typing would probably be pretty tough on it, you've got that flipped up lid when you're using it, so single handed would probably make it feel top heavy. Also, it's not a tiny keyboard, probably the size of one half of the playbook itself.

The trackpad is actually a trackpad! There's a little switch that you can flip so the trackpad becomes a directional keypad if you like, and then it functions like a rocker switch for the directions. The whole trackpad itself depresses for your left click action, and the arrows are only lit up when in the directional mode.

Honestly it's as good as it gets for a bluetooth keyboard imho, but you might be just as happy with a cheapie. Best part about it? You can get it in a retail store and take it for a test run before you commit to keeping it, cheaper boards from online you kinda get what shows up.
    08-05-11 12:22 AM

Yes, I have this one too (actually you need to make sure you get the bluetooth version!) and it works. I need two hands/thumbs to use it.

Here's a video of it in action with a desktop computer.

Here's the Amazon link:
    Amazon.com: Rii Bluetooth Mini Wireless Keyboard with Built-in Touchpad for Android phone Ipad Sony PS3 Apple MAC Nokia Symbian: Electronics
    08-05-11 12:46 AM
    Yes, I have this one too (actually you need to make sure you get the bluetooth version!) and it works. I need two hands/thumbs to use it.

Here's a video of it in action with a desktop computer.

Here's the Amazon link:
    Amazon.com: Rii Bluetooth Mini Wireless Keyboard with Built-in Touchpad for Android phone Ipad Sony PS3 Apple MAC Nokia Symbian: Electronics
    Thanks - that led me to this - which may be more what I had in mind:

Looks like you could actually use it with one hand! (unless perhaps you need the letter Q)...and only $50...
    Anyone tried it with playbook?

Hmm maybe not bluetooth
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 08-05-11 at 01:25 AM.
    08-05-11 01:08 AM
    Thanks - that led me to this - which may be more what I had in mind:

Looks like you could actually use it with one hand! and only $50...
    Anyone tried it with playbook?
    I dont think that has a bluetooth option?
    08-05-11 01:21 AM
    My hands are kinda big, so I can thumbtype while in landscape mode. I might have a typo every once in a while, though, but that's always correctable.
    08-05-11 02:16 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD