I switched from the iPad 2 to the Blackberry Playbook. Here's my story.

My "hobby" started with cellphones. I have had anything you could imagine at least once and sometimes twice. The iternet has made it very easy to re-sell phones and electronics at good pricing as long as you keep them in pristine condition. Therefore I have to try everything, WebOS, iOS, Andriod, Blackberry, Windows Mobile and tons of devices in between.

Although I have never found a "favorite" (I simply think the perfect phone isn't made for me yet) I have found things I loved about a lot of the phones I have owned but if I have an "fanboy" in me its for Apple products. The iPhone 4 is without a doubt the smoothest operating phone I have ever owned and seemed to fit *almost* seemlessly into my life it wasn't perfect. I hated the screen size for starters, which is funny because I sit here on my Bold 9000 thinking if only this thing didn't even have it in the code to display that scrolling clock it might just be the perfect device for me. Keyboards are sooo refreshing.

So I like many things about many different devices and when I got my iPad 2 I was b l o w n away. I was using a Nexus One at the time having just switched from the Motorola Atrix and I couldn't believe how lightning fast this thing was. It was like my iPhone 4 on steroids with a bigger screen. The apps and games that Apple and the Developers have pulled off is absolutely incredible.

However I slowly got sucked into RIM's marketing for the Playbook. The ads on TV of the webOS ish interface had me very curious. Then upon getting my Bold 9000 and finding out I could mess around and get bridge working I absolutely had to try it.

Long story short? I'm happy. I'm not saying the Playbook is better than the iPad2 or that someone looking at both should get the Playbook instead. I am saying this though.

Pro's

QNX is incredible. So many things are SO smart and actually do have an edge over iOS.

In my limited use the bezel gestures are brilliant.

The PPI (pixels per inch) makes a huge difference in screen quality.

The fit and finish is extremely solid and I love the soft rubber backing.

Cameras are ridiculous. No idea why I need a camera on my tablet but at least they aren't a joke.

The power cable for charging is incredibly long (simple and smart!!)

The red notifications are also very smart.

The 7" form factor is at this point completely for me. My Playbook may never leave the house but I love how easy it is to hold this thing.

Flash.

BB Bridge could be absolutely brilliant if only the Playbook had a few simple apps that were there full time (email cal ect) but updated once the bridge connection was started. BBM I can understand being Bridge only.

Speakers are incredible in my usage.
    Cons

Size. 7" doesn't do it all but I have found VERY few instances where it isn't enough.

Bridge and some of the downsides we all know about and were mentioned earlier.

No auto-correct........... Seriously?

Appworld. Not the interface or the bugs. The selection. Wasteland.

Android app integration. Be excited if you may but having owned many Android phones I would much rather RIM find a way to do it better themselves. Feels like a white flag?

So far these are my gatherings and I look forward to many updates and even some frustrations as I fit the Playbook into my day to day routine. I know it was a long one so thanks for reading.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by JoshH37; 06-20-11 at 09:35 PM.
    jesse_h, jajano, alegs and 1 others like this.
    06-20-11 08:58 PM
    great post! candid and accurate without ranting. thank you!
    06-20-11 09:06 PM
    It is refreshing to see a love or like Playbook thread after what seem to be endless stream of negativity and complains on Playbook and RIM. I am enjoying my Playbook and putting it to best use. The bridge function is just so clever and despite bugs here and there I can live with it and it is simply amazing to be able to use the Playbook to manage my BB emails. I have Iphone and Ipad They are great products but BB and Playbook just fit me better.

06-20-11 09:51 PM
    Good post.. auto correct is really my only gripe at this point too, it's coming though I'm sure
    06-20-11 09:54 PM
    good post.

thank you for not using words like f*** and s*** etc. unlike some people.

very well composed.
    06-20-11 09:57 PM
    The speaker on this thing is amazing. I play music without hooking up to external speaker, and it just sounds fantastic out of its two stereo speakers

06-20-11 10:02 PM
    I also agree, good post..auto correct and A2DP (music streaming via bluetooth) are what I'm looking for at this stage of growth for the PLAYBOOK...just keep the updates coming and keep adding to the potential of this outstanding tablet.
    06-20-11 10:03 PM
    The speaker on this thing is amazing. I play music without hooking up to external speaker, and it just sounds fantastic out of its two stereo speakers

I was truly shocked with the speaker quality. This is a department where the Playbook has beaten every mobile device I have had thus far. I started out trying the Slacker app and the default volume was around 55% and I truly thought it was running at full blast. Even after trying it at a louder volume the clarity did not diminish and the sound held very little if any "tin" at all.

As can be told by my post I very rarely rave about something but this speaker quality is awesome.

QNX in general as well just shocks me the more I use it. I think very few people realize this is a 1.0 device with many features they weren't around until 2.0 - 3.0 of some OS's.

Even though Blackberry was late to the game on this one and has some serious catching up to do I truly think they show great promise with QNX. But what do I know? All the blogs disagree with me that's for sure. Maybe the world is running out of people looking for new and innovative stuff even if it is just a refresh of what we have seen already.

QNX ui = Awesome to look at as well. Love the cards even if it was a webOS thing.

Thanks for all the kind words. It's not hard to not be a fanboy. You just have to be honest with yourself and view products with an open mind. If I didn't do that I sure wouldn't have had as much fun as I have the past few years trying all sorts of new stuff.

narci likes this.
    06-20-11 11:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD