Just walked out from two walmart shop, and noticed :

1-. The iPad is presented in a standalone rack , like those you find in jewels shops. So your first thought is:. IPad must be precious enough to put it out of reach under a glass shield.

2-. The playbook is thrown among hipstreet and other sh**tty tablets, when you come close to it, all you can see is this displayed windows asking you to create your id. So you will never be able to get through it to reach the main window to see what's in its guts.

So thank you Rim for your horrible marketing. You are doing a great job.
    BigwhiteUK likes this.
    11-04-12 12:50 PM
    There's a lot more reasons than that...
    11-04-12 12:51 PM
    Truthfully the playbook fails when compared to other tablets. The hardware is top notch however the software and 3rd party support is mediocre.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    bbmtna, elibohnert, Rello and 1 others like this.
    11-04-12 12:53 PM
    Which one do you think is most likely to be stolen and therefore should be behind glass - iPad or Playbook?
    11-04-12 02:10 PM
    Does anybody recall if the Playbook got prestige placement when it came out?
    I doubt any display strategy would have changed things though.
    11-04-12 02:24 PM
    well as others have said, there are other reasons the Playbook didn't sell, BUT...

I agree with you that poor marketing is a reality at RIM unfortunately.

and not saying that placing it in a glass case would make all the diff, but better marketing overall would have helped sales and I feel it has to be better for BB10 to succeed.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    11-04-12 02:28 PM

1-. The iPad is presented in a standalone rack , like those you find in jewels shops. So your first thought is:. IPad must be precious enough to put it out of reach under a glass shield.

2-. The playbook is thrown among hipstreet and other sh**tty tablets, when you come close to it, all you can see is this displayed windows asking you to create your id. So you will never be able to get through it to reach the main window to see what's in its guts.

Yehah.. that. Let me know when we get proper bookmark management for the browser (1 year and counting) among countless of other tiny things. Then, we can argue more in depth how RIM's marketing stalled playbook sales. Its not even the QNX base holding the OS back, is RIM itself. Hopefully BB10 will fix all that... hopefully... in january, or march, or Q2, or who knows when.
    richardat and pickles#WP like this.
    11-04-12 02:41 PM
    Given the 3rd party support and the OS + pre-installed software, I think it is only for the better that RIM did not throw more marketing money at it. Many people no the BlackBerry brand, but have never heard of a BB tablet. For all those who never heard about the PB, the PB is not a failure, hence RIM can blow new life into the PB after BB10. All because the PB is relatively unknown.

By the way, at present the PB is a pretty good tablet, still with mediocre 3rd party support, but it works fine for the things I like to do on a tablet.
    juacas and kbz1960 like this.
    11-04-12 02:46 PM
    I can sum it up better with much less reading involved ----- OS 1.
    wired cleric likes this.
    11-04-12 02:54 PM
    I think it would have done better if os 2 was available at launch. lack of an email app in a tablet priced at $499 for a 16 gb version... you must be kidding....
    wired cleric and Creaulx like this.
    11-04-12 03:10 PM
    I agree with the price point factor. They should have reduced the price at launch and skipped 16G all together.
    Creaulx likes this.
    11-04-12 03:53 PM

Well there it is the answer nobody could ever figure out has been solved by Mr. Wall Mart himself. So you went to two WalMarts and figured this out. Wow
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    11-04-12 04:17 PM
    Well there it is the answer nobody could ever figure out has been solved by Mr. Wall Mart himself. So you went to two WalMarts and figured this out. Wow
    Don't everybody thank me at once.
    madman0141 and christenmartin like this.
    11-04-12 05:08 PM
    Don't everybody thank me at once.
    You da Man Mr.WalMart
    11-04-12 06:10 PM
    I've said that from the beginning.
    RIM has not marketed the Playbook to sell.
    Most store demos don't work or are at the stage you found them, waiting for a Blackberry ID so the update can install.
    The Playbook went from something new and innovative to just another tablet that isn't an iPad within about two months after it's release.

iPad doesn't need promotion. They could hang a cardboard sign with no live demo at all and it will sell.
    Do you suppose RIM was naive enough to think that would happen with the Playbook?
    11-04-12 06:46 PM
    It had OS 1.0
    It cost 499 for 16gb
    Wifi Only
    No Email
    Various other problems

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-04-12 06:49 PM

Walmart only recently, (3 or 4 weeks ago) changed their BlackBerry displays. Before they used to be a separate display featuring 2 to 4 tablets on a white perspex background with highlights of QNX and the hardware etc. In fact, in Canada Walmart, Best Buy and Future Shop all had the PlayBook most prominently displayed, with Future Shop and Best Buy giving the PlayBook "Front of Department" status for over 18 months, they were the first tablets you saw as you walked into that department and had their own separate displays and cases. The only reason FS and BB moved the PB back into the regular tablet display was because of recent inconsistent supply from RIM. I think it's FS where the PB is their best selling tablet.
    11-04-12 08:13 PM

Ok, RIM may not have done a good job at marketing. But what other tablet, besides the iPad had done that well? The Nexus 7 is estimated to have sold around 3 million. I don't believe many retail sales, as I don't see them displayed in separate areas, like an iPad. So, the PlayBook maybe a failure, but nothing else, besides the iPad, has done well either.
    11-04-12 08:34 PM
    The problem is marketing from the standpoint that it has Blackberry on the front of it. Most people in the market equate blackberry with old/outdated/business only technology. I know that sounds like a simple answer, but it is what it is.

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2
    11-04-12 08:35 PM
    They tried to price it at the same price point as the ipad when the ecosystem wasn't even in the same league lmao. Love my Playbook but I hope they've learned that u can't compete with Apple at their price points. People know what they are getting when they buy a Apple product and that's the reason Apple can charge what they do. I believe if the PlayBook would've came with pricing like it has now, OS2, and some actual advertising...it would've done much better than it current has.

Like others said, the hardware is fine but it's software that leaves much to be desired...
    11-04-12 08:54 PM
    I think I'm experiencing crackberry deja vu...
    juacas likes this.
    11-04-12 09:20 PM
    When I bring my PB out the typical reaction is : "what one is that." I tell them it is a Blackberry tablet and the response is usually, "Oh, I did not know they had one. I heard they are going out of business." I then explain that it came out shortly after the iPad and is quite good.. But that RIM spent a lot of money and stockholder's equity to keep those facts a secret from the buying public. I also then go on that RIM is not going out of business any time soon.

It is certainly true that the software is not as polished as it should be. It needs some love inside RIM.
    11-04-12 09:25 PM
    The BlackBerry PlayBook had special marketing "kiosk" usually placed at the end of an aisle at one point in its life. However, the special treatment was short-lived as best as I remember, probably due to pathetic - as in none - marketing by Research In Motion during the crucial first month after launch in April of 2012. Mike and Jim could not decide if they wanted a business tablet or an infotainment tablet; released a half-baked product with a silly name yet claimed it as the "world's first professional-grade tablet" and even worse failed to market it is anyone.
    richardat likes this.
    11-04-12 10:07 PM
    The BlackBerry PlayBook had special marketing "kiosk" usually placed at the end of an aisle at one point in its life. However, the special treatment was short-lived as best as I remember, probably due to pathetic - as in none - marketing by Research In Motion during the crucial first month after launch in April of 2012. Mike and Jim could not decide if they wanted a business tablet or an infotainment tablet; released a half-baked product with a silly name yet claimed it as the "world's first professional-grade tablet" and even worse failed to market it is anyone.
    Im my experience, it actually had quite a bit of buzz in western Canada before, and up to release - at least in the media. If it had been a killer product, it absolutely had every chance to take hold. It was the colossal blunders at launch that I believe killed it instantly. There were a few, but to me, no native email was the biggest bullet to the head. There is no way any reviewer could not point that out, and be....well as shocked as everybody was! It's such an obvious gaffe, especially for RIM famous for email.....and something EVERYONE can immediately understand and be affected by. It was all downhill from there, as other criticisms arose.
    11-05-12 05:47 AM
    In the UK when the PB was first launched, Carphone Warehouse made a song and dance of it with its own display space and away from the other generic tablets. These days however it has been relegated to the general tablet computing area.
    11-05-12 06:45 AM
69 123