... I just do not like Apple or Android.

I LOVE the PlayBook. The beautiful hardware/build quality is, to this day, the best on any tablet I've seen.

The size is perfect and it is just so sleek and efficient.

Love the gestures, the bright screen etc. But, even though I'm not really an app person, even I am getting fed up of the pathetic range on offer in BlackBerry World, and the fact that this potentially incredible device has essentially been hung out to dry by its own brand.

I want another tablet in addition to the PB, but I dislike Apple and Android. I am put off by the former because of iSheep and I dislike the latter because it is too messy, chaotic and has no real 'identity'.

I guess this leaves Windows 8 tablets. I love WP phones and there are a few great Windows 8 tablets out, but I want a 7 or 8 inch tablet, not a big one.

What the hell shall I do?

Posted via CB10
    mpetrol likes this.
    09-07-13 02:16 PM
    acer makes a smaller 8 inch windows tab. I think lenovo does too.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-07-13 02:23 PM
    I took a long look at this tablet.....

acer w3 | Windows Phone Central
    09-07-13 02:26 PM
    I just took the case off my pb, and Omg you're so right. It's like I fell in love with it all over again. It may be 'dead', but the design and feel of that thing, oh geeze, better than any other tab I've used.

Get a windows pro. They are great. And in was someone that loved the 7 inch form factor, but my windows tab is 11", and honestly, I like it. With the windows interface, and if you'll be using it for office type functions, the bigger tablet is really nice.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 02:36 PM
    The Surface? Great tablet but practically a laptop no? And for the price I may as well buy a 'proper' laptop/ultrabook

The Acer W3 I have checked out but all reviews say it has crap resolution.

Shame there's no good small Windows tablet yet!

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 03:21 PM
    The Surface? Great tablet but practically a laptop no? And for the price I may as well buy a 'proper' laptop/ultrabook

Posted via CB10

Stifle your wants until the new crop of windows 8" tablets comes out. They will be worth the wait of a few months.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-07-13 04:18 PM
    I'd wait for the new ATOM chips and tablets coming with them.
    09-07-13 04:26 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes, practically a laptop and priced much higher. But check out Lenovo and Asus, they also have windows pro tabs and are much more affordable.

The acer 8inch has a terrible screen, and I heard they went back to the drawing board almost immediately. Supposedly there will be a new one coming with a better screen soon. Still, if you don't care about what it looks like, you can get it very cheap and has full office included. I considered it for the price, but couldn't get past the screen.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 05:26 PM
    I took a long look at this tablet.....

acer w3 | Windows Phone Central
    I have one for about 5 days. Returned it due to defective sd card slot (card would NOT pop out). But what I found difficult was that for legacy apps (others???), it did not handle zooming like the pb or other tab, I'd guess. So using Firefox and my email reader, etc, fonts were too small or word-wrap did not work smoothly. Also the Windows' controls like the scrollbar, close-window-box, etc were too small or thin trying to use fingers. I never did get a chance to explore to see if those items could be enlarged by some settings.

Maybe apps newly designed for Win rt or WinPro might work better????
    09-07-13 06:30 PM
    there is an Acer 8,1 on the MS website
    Shop Tablets + convertibles | Microsoft Store
    and I think Asus has one as well

I just bought myself the the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 with Windows 8 pro for $499
    64 gb, USB 2, Micro sd card to 32 gb, mini HDMI, and up to 10 hours battery
    I use it as an Laptop replacement when traveling, installed Office 2013 and Office 365
    did not buy a keyboard, will use the PB BT keyboard if needed
    instead i use MS Notes

but I still take my PB on the road, and I use it bridged for email and browser with my BB 9780
    so i can get answer my emails without WiFi
    Will not give up on my PB, have it always with me, but it shows age,

if you need your tablet for business you may have to go with a Windows tablet
    even the Surface RT are great for business, all office files are nearly fully compatible
    the rest you can do through the browser
    good luck

... I just do not like Apple or Android.

I LOVE the PlayBook. The beautiful hardware/build quality is, to this day, the best on any tablet I've seen.

The size is perfect and it is just so sleek and efficient.

Love the gestures, the bright screen etc. But, even though I'm not really an app person, even I am getting fed up of the pathetic range on offer in BlackBerry World, and the fact that this potentially incredible device has essentially been hung out to dry by its own brand.

I want another tablet in addition to the PB, but I dislike Apple and Android. I am put off by the former because of iSheep and I dislike the latter because it is too messy, chaotic and has no real 'identity'.

I guess this leaves Windows 8 tablets. I love WP phones and there are a few great Windows 8 tablets out, but I want a 7 or 8 inch tablet, not a big one.

What the hell shall I do?

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 09:17 PM
    Thanks for the tips everyone.

I am going to see what Windows tabs there are in a few months. I'm convinced they will start dominating the tablet scape because Windows 8 is perfect for touch and I like simple, compact OS's.

For now, I just ordered a Nook HD 7 inch 16GB. Am I mad? The screen is apparently best in class and I love underdog products. Plus it was 99 and has Google Play! Beautiful interface too!

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 10:22 AM

Posted via CB10
    They're supposed to be releasing an updated version with better hardware in a couple months.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 10:50 AM
    Cool. Will wait to see.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 11:25 AM
    IMO the best tablet out now spec wise and bang for your bucks is the New Nexus 7 and it has a 1080p screen...
    09-08-13 04:58 PM
    IMO the best tablet out now spec wise and bang for your bucks is the New Nexus 7 and it has a 1080p screen...
    I can't get past the 1.2 MP/5MP versus playbook 3MP/5MP camera specs.
    09-08-13 05:07 PM
    I really hope Acer does come out with a new W3 with a better screen. I really like my W3, but the screen (esp. compared to PB) really sucks. I think it depends what you want it for. I was never a huge app user and mainly what I wanted was fully functional Office, which is great on full Windows Pro tablet. Love my PB, but I got fed up with having to "dumb down" some of my excel sheets to be workable with any of the different Office apps available on the PB (even ported versions) or missing/poorly implemented Office features. Handy to just be able to use any Windows program directly on the tablet.
    09-08-13 05:59 PM
    For all the complain about playbook being two year old tablet, no apps and games, one would think the competitors would come up with one that surpass it. Just the specs alone not one tablet out there that encompass all of playbook built if not surpass it. I'm still waiting.
    09-08-13 06:10 PM
    For all the complain about playbook being two year old tablet, no apps and games, one would think the competitors would come up with one that surpass it. Just the specs alone not one tablet out there that encompass all of playbook built if not surpass it. I'm still waiting.
    Umm, are you serious? Lmao!!!
    09-08-13 06:14 PM
    Windows 8 is a super tablet OS... too bad they couldn't modify it for desktop /laptops.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 06:20 PM
    Windows Tablet or Sideloading Android Ports (in hope the apps you want work.)
    09-08-13 06:51 PM
    Windows 8 is a super tablet OS... too bad they couldn't modify it for desktop /laptops.

Posted via CB10
    Perhaps 8.1will cure some of the problems. Personally don't see why a pane is that much different from an icon as far as cluttering up the screen goes. But new software always requires a learning time which is not fun and is frustrating to most people.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-08-13 07:21 PM
    I suggest getting the Surface RT, I have never been so happy with mine! it does EVERYTHING I want in a tablet, and it's very well made, but it is slightly bigger than the PB but just as thin tho!
    09-08-13 07:37 PM
    Umm, are you serious? Lmao!!!
    Yup. If I need games and apps that much I got my Ipod touch.
    09-08-13 07:41 PM
    Perhaps 8.1will cure some of the problems. Personally don't see why a pane is that much different from an icon as far as cluttering up the screen goes. But new software always requires a learning time which is not fun and is frustrating to most people.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    I'm used to windows 8 but the Windows 7 start menu is still more efficient for nontouch. Which is why I've installed the start menu back into windows 8.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 07:53 PM
    I'm used to windows 8 but the Windows 7 start menu is still more efficient for nontouch. Which is why I've installed the start menu back into windows 8.

Posted via CB10
    How did you do that?
    09-08-13 09:41 PM
28 12