same thing happens on my ipad too...
    Well i would expect it from an Ipad !!!

12-21-11 02:44 PM
    What OS are you running? I reboot mine few times each day, running OS 2.0 beta. Some say it's normal as I'm running beta, so I don't complain about it.
    Wow! I've had all the versions of the 1.0.x OS. I also had 2.0 for a month, before going back to 1.0.8 and have never had to do that so frequently. I maybe reboot the PB once a week - for the heck of it - just to clear the pipes. As I said earlier, I've only had to do it out of necessity maybe twice since I bought it in June.
    12-22-11 12:42 AM
    Mine's never done it either, but I too reset about once a week. One of ours at work started doing it at least once a day by reports, but once reset it quit. Resets once a week and no more. Possibly it is a memory thing, as it's heavily used throughout the day, but so is mine. FWIW, mine is a 64g and all the work PBs are as well except one 32g, and it's not the one that did it.
    12-22-11 12:58 AM
    Out of curiosity, has anyone with this issue tried SimpleBrowser to see if it does it with it? I've been using it about a week now and actually like it. It does seem snappier and I like the default full screen with the drop down navigation bar. Might be worth trying.
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-22-11 01:06 AM
    I don't know if its been said in here , but be sure to clear the cache and close tabs - don't have too many apps open at once.

I don't know of a browser in the world doesn't crash a lot with many open tabs and a full cache - I think Google chrome is the worst - the only difference is playbook does a *poof* and google chrome sits there with an hourglass for agonizing minutes until it finally gives you a dialog asking you to wait or kill pages - neither option is a good one - I'd rather have a poof and be done with it.

Then I can just open it again.
    purijagmohan likes this.
    12-22-11 01:08 AM
    Out of curiosity, has anyone with this issue tried SimpleBrowser to see if it does it with it? I've been using it about a week now and actually like it. It does seem snappier and I like the default full screen with the drop down navigation bar. Might be worth trying.
    It IS snappier because it is simple - no tabs, bookmarks and overhead...
    12-22-11 01:10 AM
    simplebrowser closes for me too.Since its practically the same webkit browser just with stripped features, i wouldnt expect anything less
    Whtas weird with simplebrowser is the fact that sometimes it is as fast as the native one and sometimes its more sluggish and has lots of lags after hitting links nothing happening for some secs.
    Sometimes it helps disabling flash and enabling it again,sometimes not.
    Simplebrowser reminds me a bit of dr.jekyll and mr.hyde,but it seems i am the only one with this kinda probs,never read someone else mentioning it.
    With the same speed consistency i woukd use it much more often,because with fullscreen,the display kinda feels bigger,thats nice.Hope the next version ,maybe even with tabs will solve my bug.
    12-22-11 02:51 AM
    Fired the browser up this morning,checking gmail,one tab open......*poof*
    12-22-11 06:09 AM
    Fired the browser up this morning,checking gmail,one tab open......*poof*
    Your experience is not typical and no I don't think your doing anything wrong. Could it be an app not playing nice with the OS? If it works fine after a re-boot but hen starts acting up later it seems like something not part of the core OS is causing the issue.
    If it were me I would reload the OS and see how it works before restoring apps and settings one at a time.
    12-22-11 07:58 AM
    Your experience is not typical and no I don't think your doing anything wrong. Could it be an app not playing nice with the OS? If it works fine after a re-boot but hen starts acting up later it seems like something not part of the core OS is causing the issue.
    If it were me I would reload the OS and see how it works before restoring apps and settings one at a time.
    I had no other apps running and only one tab open.

I think it is a far larger problem than the fanboys want to admit.
    12-22-11 08:34 AM

What's your OS again?

I recall having issues with gmail.com initially. That's probably before I got mine upgraded to OS 2.0 beta, and now I use Android App Kaiten so I never go to gmail.com through browser.

My issue back then was not about browser crashing, rather it would sit there with blank screen forever.
    12-22-11 08:42 AM
    What's your OS again?

I recall having issues with gmail.com initially. That's probably before I got mine upgraded to OS 2.0 beta, and now I use Android App Kaiten so I never go to gmail.com through browser.

My issue back then was not about browser crashing, rather it would sit there with blank screen forever.
    I am running the Latest OS as it updated itself out of the box when it arriveed a week or so ago.

I notice a bit of browser lag, in that there is no response to taps sometimes ( perhaps loading going on in the background )

But this is just a sudden quitting of the browser app, one second it's there, the next its gone.

It happened again this morning on a very graphically rich multi-page site when i skipped from say, page 15 to page 40, but after i re launched the browser it has worked fine since then.

Once again latest standard OS, no other apps running and 1 or a max or 2 tabs open.
    12-22-11 08:52 AM
    With over a couple hours a day browsing and a month into my PB, I've only ever had it crash once. I briefly tried the 2.0 beta and had the browser crashing all the time. Back on 1.0 and no crashing at all.

Not being a fanboy here, just stating my experience.
    12-22-11 08:52 AM
    My experience is it will crash at times and not sure there is any consistant reason why and I get it mostly while using over bridge. The last official release has been much better than the one before that. It only happens to me after hours of surfing etc. now and not all the time.

When it does happen I simply clear all in the browser options and close the browser, reopen and I clear all again as after a crash the first time doesn't always take and close and reopen. After that I will have no problems again for hours or days.
    12-22-11 08:59 AM
    Don't get me wrong everyone, i love my PB, i wouldn't swap it for an Ipad2...

I just think it would be nice if RIM could sort out the quitting browser problem that it seems quite a few of us are having.

I mean, it could be a hardware problem with the Sandisk nandflash chips in certain PB's rather than a software problem with the browser, who knows ?
    12-22-11 09:07 AM

I'm a fanboy because my browser doesn't crash.
    There is obviously something different about your setup compared to mine. We have the same product but yours crashes and mine doesn't. That is fact and not opinion. I thought the point of the discussion was to get to the root cause of issues. I'm sorry to have offered any input.
    12-22-11 09:09 AM
    I'm a fanboy because my browser doesn't crash.
    There is obviously something different about your setup compared to mine. We have the same product but yours crashes and mine doesn't. That is fact and not opinion. I thought the point of the discussion was to get to the root cause of issues. I'm sorry to have offered any input.
    Sorry if i offended you, i had only just started on my first cup of java, i am much more rational now

Well maybe as i said above there are hardware inconsistencies between batches of PB's that could cause seemingly random glitches like this ?
    12-22-11 09:17 AM
    Sorry if i offended you, i had only just started on my first cup of java, i am much more rational now

Well maybe as i said above there are hardware inconsistencies between batches of PB's that could cause seemingly random glitches like this ?
    It seems others do experience random issues..

Playbook browser random crashes - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

seeing there's no official solution offered, the root cause wasn't identified?

Is your issue consistent or random?

Personally, I've seen some issues before but not had problems recently, but I use other apps more often than the browser.
    12-22-11 09:25 AM

Personally, I've seen some issues before but not had problems recently, but I use other apps more often than the browser.
    It can only be described as random.
    12-22-11 09:42 AM

If that is the case then your best course of action may be to call RIM. You would helping yourself and others by reporting your problems along with the batch.
    12-22-11 10:05 AM
    If that is the case then your best course of action may be to call RIM. You would helping yourself and others by reporting your problems along with the batch.
    I will email RIM support telling them this if it will help.
    12-22-11 10:07 AM
    crashes are far and few for me using the browser. Facebook on the other hand... ugh.
    12-22-11 10:11 AM

Mine is random and usually using bridge. I don't use it on wifi much as I got it for away from home where there is no wifi.

EDIT: Sometimes over bridge I think it is something RIM is doing as some days it is geat and then others not so great. Don't know why else only a different day makes the difference beside a carrier issue.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 12-22-11 at 10:30 AM. Reason: add
    12-22-11 10:27 AM
    My browser has crashed maybe once in my 6 month relationship with my playbook. She's been staying faithful so far, and she hasn't even lost her beauty.
    12-22-11 01:08 PM
    Mine is generally on wifi. Just implodes and gone.
    12-22-11 05:54 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD