I just got back from Best Buy ( more like worst buy ) and Future Shop. After going to "The Source" and "Visions" ( Other Canadian electronic retailers ), i notice that most of these stores have no power to their Playbook floor model. Fact is Future Shop was the only store that had a working Playbook. With all the negative press about RIM is there some kind of multinational / multi corporation attack to destroy RIM ? It just seems that some companies and news outlets are going out of their way to spread bad news about RIM. Even Rogers ( when i bought my phone ) told me not to get a BB.

Anyone else notice Playbook floor models not working ? Just seems odd to me.
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-02-12 11:45 PM
    I have never seen a working PB in any retail store.
    Willard814 and TerribleTim68 like this.
    02-02-12 11:48 PM
    same here been to staples, bestbuy the pb they have on display have broken battery charger. wats with that.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime fostr Android Apps using Tapatalk
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-03-12 12:22 AM
    Live in Manitoba. The Source has a working playbook, all their devices on display work. However Wal-Mart has no working display models, and the only one behind glass is an iPad.
    Willard814 and drum like this.
    02-03-12 01:24 AM
    they used to be working but now i almost never see a powered in functioning playbook. funny thing, i always manage to see 4 let me say it again 4 fully functioning ipads on display in every damn retailer i go in to. its really annoying and pisses me off to see the blatant hate and unprofessional practices at retail stores.
    02-03-12 01:24 AM
    Best Buy Blows. I think the issue is that no one knows anything there and they plan on keeping it that way. Yup it was dead at my local store too. Like I said, I asked and no one knew a dam thing. Morons, who are managed by idiots. Just go online and order. Safer, cheaper and a hellofa lot less infuriating. -)
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-03-12 01:49 AM
    My experience was a bit different at a new jersey best buy in November. A salesman saw me using my BB, walked over and showed me his own playbook, demoed it, allowed me to use it, bridge it to my phone, etc, for 10 minutes. I was blown away, and bought it (for $200).
    I don't even know if the store had one on display
    Last edited by saescott; 02-03-12 at 01:55 AM.
    02-03-12 01:52 AM
    I've seen the same thing, but not just with the Playbook. It really amazes me that stores can expect to sell tablets when they don't even keep the display models working.
    02-03-12 01:56 AM
    In the Oakville / Burlington area, I haven't seen a Best Buy or Future Shop store that has the Playbook connected to the internet yet. I came across one good, knowledgable sales rep at Future Shop. The Source I visited had no Playbook models in store.

With all of my consumer purchases now-a-days I do all my research online prior to testing/buying. It's a challenge to find good, knowledgable sales rep's in stores today. In many electronic retail stores, the reps are there for temporary jobs, so their lack of product knowledge is somewhat expected. However, it's embarassing when I go to purchase a new car and I know more about the car than those sales' reps.

I ordered a PB through ShopBlackberry last week since I wanted a 64 GB model. Like others, I'm not overly impressed with the SBB store experience nor the marketing strategies. How is it that RIM/BB are having this huge tablet sale and I haven't seen one commercial/advertisement on TV about ?
    Last edited by RedJam19; 02-03-12 at 05:09 PM.
    02-03-12 07:49 AM
    In the Oakville / Burlington area, I haven't seen a Best Buy or Future Shop store that has the Playbook connected to the internet yet. I came across one good, knowledgable sales rep at Future Shop. The Source I visited had no Playbook models in store.

With all of my consumer purchases now-a-days I do all my research online prior to testing/buying. It's a challenge to find good, knowledgable sales rep's in stores today. In many electronic retail stores, the reps are there for temporary jobs, so their lack of knowledgable is somewhat expected. However, it's embarassing when I go to purchase a new car and I know more about the car than those sales' reps.

I ordered a PB through ShopBlackberry last week since I wanted a 64 GB model. Like others, I'm not overly impressed with the SBB store experience nor the marketing strategies. How is it that RIM/BB are having this huge tablet sale and I haven't seen one commercial/advertisement on TV about ?
    I wonder about that as well. Anyway, went to Staples yesterday for a new router and the PB on display there has no wifi connection, but MY PB and BB there does. The display model is on OS 1.0.1XXXX. LOL
    02-03-12 08:04 AM
    Was at my local Best Buy in GA last week and was surprised to find a working Playbook on display. Just for fun I asked the sales rep if they carried rapid chargers for it (I know they don't carry any accessories for it at all - just screen protectors for 7" tablets). He didn't even look up at me and just said "Nope." I haven't been impressed with Best Buy lately & have a feeling I won't be going back.
    02-03-12 08:23 AM
    The Sprint store where I live had a working PlayBook, that's where I tested it and was instantly sold. Then I ordered it from Shopblackberry because the Sprint Store only had 16GB's.
    02-03-12 08:36 AM
    its the bloody same all across . i went to atleast 10 stores in new delhi but ultimately had to take the leap of faith to buy it. but then i am very happy i took the step.
    02-03-12 08:37 AM
    I was in Best Buy Burlington last week shopping for a computer for my wife. Actually caught 2 sales reps "selling" the playbook and doing a very good job of it. Let the purchaser play with mine and she was quite impressed.

Best thing was the sales reps actually selling the playbook, but made my day when the lady said she was going to put her Ipad2 on Kajiji!
    02-03-12 09:30 AM
    I bought mine at an Office Depot and luckily they had a working display model. Back at work I flaunted it to my co workers and they were blown away with the bridge concept. Convinced two of them to buy it too (one of them went and bought a BB phone as well just so he could use bridge). Went back to Office Depot with one of my co workers for his PB. While I was there, there were a few customers who were shopping for tablets and had pretty much made up their mind to go for an Android. One of the sales guys who was there and who had seen me come in for my PB asked me if I could give the pros and cons of the PB to the new customers. Needless to say, all I had were the pros . Two of the customers who were there bought the PB right then. Walked away feeling pretty good about it.
    P.S :: One of the customers did say that it was weird that none of the sales guys in so many places she has been have much info about the playbook. I told her that if she looks around and sees anyone with a BB, he would have all the info she would need. I told her that a person who uses a BB or PB automatically becomes one of the best sales persons anyone can hope to meet. LOL. RIM makes sales people out of their clients !!!
    02-03-12 09:56 AM
    Here in the UK this has been a major complaint of mine for a while. Before xmas my local pc world had the PB on offer with a mobile contract till i pointed out it couldnt take a sim card. Their current january bundle offer is with a bluetooth speaker and the PB doesnt currently have A2DP......... The fruit of first sin have a dedicated stand in every store, accessories in every store even a iPad for dummys book. RIM do need to do something about this, if they want to compete. The PB is a fantastic bit of kit bit nothing in this world sells itself.
    02-03-12 10:01 AM
    Maybe they are starting to get it. IT TAKES EXPOSURE TO MAKE SALES.

So I have seen, aside from the BB commercial where the boss lets his guy go off golfing because he can still work on the 2nd Tee, 2 BB commercials, with the tag line:

We need tools, not toys. Shows a few clips with people (twenty somethings) using their BBs.

Just need to have the PB included in these. Maybe they are strating a new/different marketing campain.

Make it so.

c
    02-03-12 10:02 AM
    I bought my PB just before Xmas when Office Depot dropped the price to $199. Before that I was always frustrated. Best Buy and Office Depot NEVER had a PB working. Best Buy had numerous Android tablets powered up every time I went there, and the iPads never failed to be functioning. The PB's never worked and the sales people had no idea why and didn't seem to care.
    02-03-12 10:04 AM
    Here in the Tacoma, Washington area I have yet to find a working PlayBook in ANY store. I've been to BestBuy, Office Depot, Staples, you name it. None of them had a working floor model, but ALL of them had working 'Droid and/or iPad tablets right next to it.

I asked the BestBuy guy why it didn't work but the others did. He said "That thing has never worked. We don't worry about it because nobody buys them anyway." That was when I pulled mine out of my pocket and said "Maybe they would if it worked. I'd try charging the battery first."
    VanCity778 likes this.
    02-03-12 10:38 AM
    The BB near my house had one working last week. I took a picture of my wife and set it to be the wallpaper.
    02-03-12 04:03 PM
    Here in the Tacoma, Washington area I have yet to find a working PlayBook in ANY store. I've been to BestBuy, Office Depot, Staples, you name it. None of them had a working floor model, but ALL of them had working 'Droid and/or iPad tablets right next to it.

I asked the BestBuy guy why it didn't work but the others did. He said "That thing has never worked. We don't worry about it because nobody buys them anyway." That was when I pulled mine out of my pocket and said "Maybe they would if it worked. I'd try charging the battery first."
    I was at the same store Tim !
    They said the same thing and my reply was, "and that's why you are sold out"! I ended up coming home and ordering up from Amazon. And just to spite them I added next day shipping! Hahaha, B*stards! Booger eating morons! Best Buy Blows! but the real pleasure was receiving a perfect PB the next day. Bbm me anytime.
    02-03-12 06:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD