The worst thing that could possibly happen is the thousands of devices polling the update server(s... I hope plural and not singular!), eating up all the capacity and connection limits.

Below are some estimates from what I've read here and there... just speculation of what could potentially happen if RIM didn't plan this roll out properly and it sounds like it *could* be the case as there has been no word of 'staggering' the updates.

- About 500,000 active devices? I read somewhere it was along these lines but I may be way off
    - The update will be between 400-500MB in size (according to BerryReview and other sources)

So in theory... there could be a data transfer of 500k * 500MB = 238.41 TeraBytes

Now my figures of 500k active users may or may not be accurate but even if it was half that number, it's still 119.20 TeraBytes data in a day (in theory).

Now let's assume the data transfer aspect is fine and the servers aren't bogged down by the tens of thousands of folk downloading the update at the same time.

Then we come on to the issue of how many servers they have? Several tens of thousands of open connections to a server is enough (talking of a typical server machine) to cause a noticeable degradation of performance.

Anyway... after all that, I very much look forward to OS2 on Tuesday and can't wait to get my hands on it
    DAnklaud likes this.
    02-18-12 05:52 PM
    Darn, is this kind of like all 200 million flush at the same time during a Super Bowl commercial?
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-18-12 06:33 PM
    Blah, Blah, Blah......RIM has been staggering updates since the first one in May, no reason for them not to continue along the same course. I'm sure they have thought about it.
    02-18-12 06:39 PM
    Maybe the update won't download to all devices at once. Those that check for updates themselves will be able to get it first; and those that don't will be reminded later in the day via automatic update. Not too sure though.
    02-18-12 06:42 PM
    Servers won't be overloaded, because once load reaches a certain limit, additional users requesting the update may simply get the message "Try again later".

This will undoubtedly make a lot of impatient people unhappy, but c'est la vie.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-18-12 07:09 PM
    I'm hitting check for update at 4:01am east and again at 4:02 and so on and so forth until I get my update. unless of course something changes beforehand.
    02-18-12 07:13 PM
    set the alarm, baby!
    02-18-12 07:14 PM
    Maybe the update won't download to all devices at once. Those that check for updates themselves will be able to get it first; and those that don't will be reminded later in the day via automatic update. Not too sure though.
    I'm sure. It never downloads it automatically, and doesn't even notify people instantly as soon as it's available.

Yes, in the first short while, pretty much only those who are hitting Check for Updates obsessively, or those who read about it here in the following minutes, are going to be downloading it.

It will probably take about a week for many users even to tap on that strange new icon in their status bar. Remember, almost half the user base has never even seen an update before, and you can bet a sizable percentage of them haven't even been following the news with the manic interest of most Crackberrians...
    JeepBB and StringThing like this.
    02-18-12 07:16 PM
    Now my figures of 500k active users may or may not be accurate but even if it was half that number, it's still 119.20 TeraBytes data in a day (in theory).
    Last I heard (Beginning of January) they were at 900,000! So double your numbers

I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of people who are unable to get through to the servers...
    02-18-12 07:23 PM
    If Microsoft doesn't have any problems when releasing a major Service Pack for Windows, I think RIM have enough brains to ensure there isn't a bull rush on their servers.
    W7 SP1 is 500MB+ (32/64bit = 537MB/903MB). No idea how many W7 users there are but that's a load of PB (petabytes) in updates.

In any case, fingers crossed
    02-19-12 03:44 AM
    android rolls theirs out. im sure rim will too. ios does theirs through itunes, so a computer is needed.
    my guess is that if the millions of xbox and ps3 cod players can download a massive map pack on release day then rim can do the same for the playbook.
    02-19-12 04:06 AM
    I'm sure it'll go fine.

RIM have been rolling out OS updates for PB for some time now, they've staggered the rollout (probably across timezones, because I frequently haven't seen the update notification that non-UK'ers were reporting on previous updates), I don't recall an "OMG, I can't connect to the server!!!" flurry of posts in the past, and... even now, there are less than a million of us.

If Windows can rollout updates to millions (or at least hundreds of thousands), I'm sure RIM can cope with a few thousand at a time spread around the world.

Guess we'll see.
    02-19-12 04:14 AM
    Free App offer coming up... :-)
    02-19-12 04:32 AM
    Some of us have to go to work you know ....and what with different timezones, I expect there will be a natural staggered download...
    02-19-12 04:34 AM
    No matter what the time is of release (date doesn't matter to me either), I'll probably end up spending days trying to get the update. I'm just going to have to hope that when I do attempt to download the update that we aren't having snow or rain.

Our dedicated military lines are fine with weather issues and our government work, but the paid commercial satellite internet for personal use have ALOT to be desired. And the times when I'm off duty to check on things like this is during our peak commercial internet usage (folks streaming video/online games/general web surfing).

I'll probably end up starting the update sometime midday here and hope that when I get back to my sleeping quarters after my duty day it will be completed.

Heck, if the update was at 4:00am Eastern time, that is 1:30pm here, so maybe I'll skip chow and see if I can't work on getting the update.
    02-19-12 04:34 AM
    Some of us have to go to work you know ....and what with different timezones, I expect there will be a natural staggered download...
    Hey, we're talking about OS2 here; everyone's going to be awake hitting that refresh button no matter where they are!!!
    02-19-12 04:42 AM
    I'm hitting check for update at 4:01am east and again at 4:02 and so on and so forth until I get my update. unless of course something changes beforehand.
    IF there is a server problem it is this kind of thing that will not help. Be patient. Still no OFFICIAL release date from RIM yet.
    02-19-12 05:08 AM
    Hey, we're talking about OS2 here; everyone's going to be awake hitting that refresh button no matter where they are!!!
    LOL I will be awake...just, y'know, working! (it's going to be, like, 11am here)

No good telling y'all to chill, is there?
    02-19-12 05:54 AM
    Maybe its been asked, but is there any word if just doing an update, or doing a wipe and fresh install of 2.0 will be better, or even possible?
    02-19-12 06:15 AM
    Maybe its been asked, but is there any word if just doing an update, or doing a wipe and fresh install of 2.0 will be better, or even possible?
    ive never had any problems with official ota updates on my android phones. the only time we did complete wipes is when we were changing roms (unofficial ones like cm7 etc)
    im guessing that rim will have a few safeties built in to prevent accidental data loss.
    02-19-12 06:31 AM
    I think it's entirely possible that the servers will get bogged down and so I propose that everyone at Crackberry NOT download it on Tuesday. Instead I offer to download it first and report back here. (I just couldn't resist!)
    Barljo, emtunc and JeepBB like this.
    02-19-12 06:41 AM
    I think it's entirely possible that the servers will get bogged down and so I propose that everyone at Crackberry NOT download it on Tuesday. Instead I offer to download it first and report back here. (I just couldn't resist!)
    I'm happy to make the same sacrifice to test the uk servers...
    emtunc and hpjrt like this.
    02-19-12 06:56 AM
    I just hope the update is released and we arent fed more delays.
    02-19-12 08:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD