I was looking around Ghost Commander and got a very ODD sounding notification. I swiped down and the top left notice icon showed an increment. Tapped it and it was from CB app (aka tapatalk). I've never had that before. I have not really used the app since my Glacier National Park vacation in Sept. But I did open it the other day to check on a question someone asked about Downloads in the app. But even during that week of use in Sept, I never did get any Notices.

The things that this tablet does sometimes still amazes me. I'm still not sure when/how Android apps that are NOT currently running do this. I also get Words W/Friends notices but not all the time. Clearly, some modules are "out there" even when the app is NOT actually showing or running.

(and, yes, BigAl, it was your message!!!)
    12-29-12 10:34 AM
    i think you still have to have an active android environment running to get the notifications. So when you went to another android app that started the android player and thus you got the notification. Dont take my word as truth though. Just what i have noticed.
    12-29-12 10:52 AM
    i think you still have to have an active android environment running to get the notifications. So when you went to another android app that started the android player and thus you got the notification. Dont take my word as truth though. Just what i have noticed.
    It might be nice if there was some kind of documentation on how Android works. In matters like this - it's anybody's guess. Not that YOU a moderator is just anybody!

But I was still dickering around in Ghost Commander and BigAl had sent me another private message but I did NOT get a notice this second time. Ah, well, this is Rim and documentation, especially for the pb, is not their priority at the moment.
    12-29-12 11:19 AM
    Evidently your PB/App setup is filtering your private messages, and only thought that the 1st message was worthy of a notification....
    FF22 likes this.
    12-29-12 01:54 PM
    Evidently your PB/App setup is filtering your private messages, and only thought that the 1st message was worthy of a notification....
    I plan on Private Messaging you with the current temperatures in C and you can reply back with the F versions so I know how to dress for the slopes!
    12-29-12 02:12 PM
    I plan on Private Messaging you with the current temperatures in C and you can reply back with the F versions so I know how to dress for the slopes!
    @F2 - Maybe I've missed something along this thread, and apologies if I have.

If you have your Playbook handy, have you tried opening the calculator, then pulling down from the top bezel where you will see 'Standard' - 'Scientific' - 'Unit Converter' - 'Tip'. Tap on Unit converter and you can select from a variety of different units, from which Centigrade/Fahrenheit is one. You then merely input the Centigrade and it will output in Fahrenheit, or visa versa by tapping on the up/down arrows at top right of the screen

Umm, hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs ... Apologies if that seems the case

Cheers
    FF22 likes this.
    12-29-12 03:05 PM
    @F2 - Maybe I've missed something along this thread, and apologies if I have.

If you have your Playbook handy, have you tried opening the calculator, then pulling down from the top bezel where you will see 'Standard' - 'Scientific' - 'Unit Converter' - 'Tip'. Tap on Unit converter and you can select from a variety of different units, from which Centigrade/Fahrenheit is one. You then merely input the Centigrade and it will output in Fahrenheit, or visa versa by tapping on the up/down arrows at top right of the screen

Umm, hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs ... Apologies if that seems the case

Cheers
    No problem. I have both a bb phone and the pb with conversions but I'm metrically challenged when it comes to Temperature whereas distances/speed I can do pretty well in-my-head. My reply above was a continuation of our private message wherein I was futzing around with the 9/5's or 5/9's formulas. We Americans hold steadfast to non-metric and for this old dog.... Well, when I was still majoring in Biology many moon ago, I had a better feel for these conversions.
    12-29-12 05:39 PM