Wow, the screen is simply awesome.
    Watching a movie on it is fantastic, due to the screen quality.

Fluidity, in the browser is killer-cool.

The camera has great sharpness.

Speaker was decently loud.

The only thing I noticed was switching from landscape to portrait was a bit iffy, but everything else I got to try out was great.

Very nice hardware.

Bring on the updates and the apps!!
    04-16-11 09:13 PM

The only thing I noticed was switching from landscape to portrait was a bit iffy, but everything else I got to try out was great.

Very nice hardware.

You manage to check the OS version?
    04-16-11 09:15 PM
    Hurray! (:
    04-16-11 09:21 PM
    You manage to check the OS version?
    nope, I was too giddy with excitement, once I saw how nice it was. LOL! I can always go back and check on it Monday, after the update comes out. it's less than 2 miles to the store, so no biggie for me to pop in.
    04-16-11 09:27 PM
    nope, I was too giddy with excitement, once I saw how nice it was. LOL! I can always go back and check on it Monday, after the update comes out. it's less than 2 miles to the store, so no biggie for me to pop in.
    OK thanks.
    04-16-11 09:29 PM
    Good info!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-16-11 09:38 PM
    I just finished with a playbook at BB also along with Xoom and Ipad2. I came back feeling like the the size and overall feel of the Playbook was perfect for what I want. So going to be making my purchase tues. I can really see me carrying this device everywhere with me because its small enough to do it comfortably but a big enough size difference over my Evo. The Xoom feels really heavy I know only about a pound and a half and the pad was a good inbetween weight. No I will just trust Rim will have the os working smoothly.
    04-16-11 09:42 PM
    I caved in and dropped into my local BB today to take a look at a Playbook. And I think my experience matches pretty much everyone elses...

The device feels very well made and sits nicely in the hand.
    The screen is amazing, the depth of colour and the sharpness of image really impressed me.
    The UI and gestures are very intuitive and smooth.
    HDMI output is also smooth and crisp.

The RIM rep confirmed that there will be a software update on Tuesday.

The store also had just taken delivery of some of the Targus leather folio/stand covers, so we decided to open one up and take a look. As I have come to expect from Targus products, it was well made and looks like it will do the job well, but I think you will have to take the device out of the case to use the USB or HDMI ports. I would like to see the official BlackBerry equivalent case before I choose which to buy though.

I didnt spend too long with the rep or the device (though he did ask me to keep an eye on it while he went and asked a question of the store manager.... ) as I think these in store events are to grab the attention of consumers who may not even know about the device, but he did seem to have good answers to the criticism that has been levelled in the early reviews - especially the percieved lack of apps.

I took a quick look at the other tablets on offer - suprise suprise no iPad, and just a quick look at the competition confirmed in my mind that RIM do have a very good device here, and it is the best fit for my requirements. Roll on tuesday....
    04-16-11 09:42 PM
    I caved in and dropped into my local BB today to take a look at a Playbook. And I think my experience matches pretty much everyone elses...

The device feels very well made and sits nicely in the hand.
    The screen is amazing, the depth of colour and the sharpness of image really impressed me.
    The UI and gestures are very intuitive and smooth.
    HDMI output is also smooth and crisp.

The RIM rep confirmed that there will be a software update on Tuesday.

The store also had just taken delivery of some of the Targus leather folio/stand covers, so we decided to open one up and take a look. As I have come to expect from Targus products, it was well made and looks like it will do the job well, but I think you will have to take the device out of the case to use the USB or HDMI ports. I would like to see the official BlackBerry equivalent case before I choose which to buy though.

I didnt spend too long with the rep or the device (though he did ask me to keep an eye on it while he went and asked a question of the store manager.... ) as I think these in store events are to grab the attention of consumers who may not even know about the device, but he did seem to have good answers to the criticism that has been levelled in the early reviews - especially the percieved lack of apps.

I took a quick look at the other tablets on offer - suprise suprise no iPad, and just a quick look at the competition confirmed in my mind that RIM do have a very good device here, and it is the best fit for my requirements. Roll on tuesday....
    cool. i didn't get a chance to see HDMI out. the salesman lamented that they didn't have a TV to hook it up to, in that dept. (water, water everywhere, and not a drop to drink!)

the BB I went to has the iPad, but in a different dept. I can't get over how you can see the individual pixels on the iPad2. I'd never buy that thing, as I already have a Touch and I still feel that MOSTLY, the iPad is just a giant touch, albeit with a few extra features.
    04-16-11 09:46 PM
    I have to say my experience has been completely different .. I went to my local BB and they didn't even have a playbook on demo or any notifications in the store. So i went to staples and they have a kiosk for Plabook and was so excited to see the playbook there .. Then bummer

1) The device had NFS on but somehow the screen was frozen. I couldn't get it to unfreeze . I tried all gestures but no dice
    2) Then i used the power button to power down. IMO the power button and volume rocker are flimsy for a device of this cost. I had to really press to power up
    3) When i press power up .. nothing happened .. So called the tech guy he was surprised that it couldn't power up. It was plugged in so it should have powered up. After multiple attempts using fingers he used his key to hold down the button for 5 secs .. No dice so we gave up and he said he would try to get it working tomorrow
    4) Another thing i found was the USB charger couldn't plug in all the way through. That device was just 4 hrs old .. I can't believe that someone could break that USB connection so soon
    5) Also i noticed a gap between the plastic backing and glass where volume controls meet. There was definitely a ply when you pinch the front and the back.. This is unacceptable . I am used to HW from Sony and i hate to admit that apple HW is top notch .. Bit disappointed

Having said that the form factor is really good and i am going wait few more days till user reviews kick in and then buy .. I have waited for this device from september last year and this experience was a bit of downer..

PS: I heard 64 GB is available online only. Stores will only stock 16gb and few 32 GB as per staples manager

So people who are getting new playbook next week , please post you feel of the device and see if you see any freezing ..

Thanks
    PC
    Last edited by animalsrush; 04-16-11 at 10:02 PM.
    04-16-11 09:59 PM
    I find these personal experiences surprising... I read a bunch of reviews recently that assured me the playbook was a waste of time and a piece of crap.

>

04-16-11 10:06 PM
    I'm on vacation in Flagstaff, AZ. I went to the best buy there and the people there didn't know much about the PB. At most they knew it would be 'releasing soon'. I'll be here for a week so I reserved one for 50 bucks since the store is practically across the street.

I'm kind nervous about my 'reserve'. I'm not confident thay the store will be getting it on the 19th. I didn't see any banners, posters, or anything that indicated that the PB even existed. I talked so one of the BB employees and he looked it up in the computer and it said it should be in soon, but he didn't know for sure when it would be in.

Anyways, I was hoping to pick up a pb on release day and I hope the BB near me gets it.

04-16-11 10:12 PM

Very nice hardware.

I just returned from my first demo as well. Wow, I was so happy with the performance. Man, I am impatient to own this tablet.
    1812dave likes this.
    04-16-11 10:15 PM
    i was playing with the unit at the futureshop in downtown Vancouver.

transition from landscape to portrait wasn't great. it lagged at at times didn't work. definitely an early build.

i noticed the unit getting pretty warm in the back, but the guy told me it was b/c he was plugging in and using the product.

screen as everyone has said, is AMAZING. so so pretty. i thought it would be a little small, but for video watching purposes, it was highly sufficient.

browser wise... it seemed to have a abit of trouble moving into a 1080p youtube video, but i'll chalk that up to being an early build and the fact that i was running several apps on it at a time.

i'm really really glad i got my fix. now even when i get it on tuesday, i'll still be able to do work at work, get through the day, watch the canucks game, and then play with the playbook
    04-16-11 10:28 PM
    I find these personal experiences surprising... I read a bunch of reviews recently that assured me the playbook was a waste of time and a piece of crap.

>

engadget and gizmodo have the worst reviews. those guys are so bias..

(did you know that if you don't have a Windows Machine or Mac, that you'll be DISAPPOINTED and not be able to access certain features? like seriously, what the **** guy. next thing you're gonna tell me is that the playbook wifi version doesnt wake up and make you breakfast.. RIM FAILS!! stupid gizmodo and engadget)

anyways, Kevin's is the best, most detailed review, but i'd recommend you read the one on BGR. they're known to be apple fanboys and RIM haters, but their article was very neutral. they did point out some weaknesses, but that's fine. they were fair and surprisingly unbias.
    04-16-11 10:32 PM
    I think the Anandtech review was very thurough. People should check that one out if they haven't yet.

04-16-11 10:46 PM
    I saw the Pb today at BB. it does look very fast and very portable ,but as a IPad 2 user I still prefer my iPad just because of the apps and iTunes and the iPad is very good on screen size for me. I am listening to the crack berry podcast while I write this and I do agree RIM screwed themselves by not putting the new series of phones out before putting the PB out. IMHO. But BTW the bold touch does look pretty P.H.A.T. And that phone and my ipad2 would be a really nice combo ..gotta wait and see but I do need to see the EVO 3D first though
    04-16-11 10:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD