Forgive me if i sound redundant, but could someone please answer me a question, or questions within a question. If BB10 is going to be more graphically intensive and the UI so much smoother, isn't a bump in processor speed necessary? I asked because I was reading the specs for the dual-core TI OMAP 4430 Cortex A9, and it has a cpu clock ceiling of 1.2 Ghz, OMAP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Is it possible for RIM, with the BB10 update, to overclock the cpu in the Playbook? I know .2Ghz doesn't sound like much, but you'd be surprised what it did for my ACER A500.
    08-02-12 12:01 PM
    Forgive me if i sound redundant, but could someone please answer me a question, or questions within a question. If BB10 is going to be more graphically intensive and the UI so much smoother, isn't a bump in processor speed necessary? I asked because I was reading the specs for the dual-core TI OMAP 4430 Cortex A9, and it has a cpu clock ceiling of 1.2 Ghz, OMAP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Is it possible for RIM, with the BB10 update, to overclock the cpu in the Playbook? I know .2Ghz doesn't sound like much, but you'd be surprised what it did for my ACER A500.
    Actually I believe you can clock it to about 1.5 GHz and still make it stable for operation. Technically RIM could, although I don't think they will. They've designed the PlayBook for that specific 1 GHz Dual core configuration.

Battery life is one of those specifications which is already configured and optimized for the 5300 mAh battery, coupled with the 1.0 GHz CPU. Now, Apple has done this once, but only once to my knowledge, They boosted the iPhone OS update for the iPod Touch (Yes this was the name at the time). Giving it about a 100 MHz boost.

So can it be done in updates? Absolutely. Will it be done? Not likely.
    08-02-12 01:15 PM
    It would be nice if Rim offered a small App to overclock the Playbook, that would be cool.
    08-02-12 01:28 PM
    Depends if the current OS is smaller and is using most of the PBs resources now or not.

I think it will be able to handle what RIM has coming, when it comes.
    But without doubt, it will need a good hardware refresh soon to keep up.
    Specs sell.

As with any computer, faster always comes along.

Tim
    08-02-12 01:47 PM
    Have you noticed that most apps have some degree of lag to them, while most games and a few apps work flawlessly?

That's due to the AIR UI in use. Once we move to a full native UI (BB10) I think that the 1Ghz will be able to do things just fine.
    08-02-12 02:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD