03-26-13 04:58 PM
57 123
tools
    The dark is consumerism, PB BB10 may send retail pricing up...

As for Z10 bridge, well yes to launch without it STUPID. Left foot and R foot not communicating...
    Now that RIM has fell over and realised that, bring on bridge functionality but your not getting a app your getting the full PB10 OS sooner than later or else a Z10 bridge app would be available already....
    sad_old_man and JeepBB like this.
    03-14-13 01:11 PM
    The dark is consumerism, PB BB10 may send retail pricing up...

As for Z10 bridge, well yes to launch without it STUPID. Left foot and R foot not communicating...
    Now that RIM has fell over and realised that, bring on bridge functionality but your not getting a app your getting the full PB10 OS sooner than later or else a Z10 bridge app would be available already....
    I cannot agree more and why bb didn't market that to the hilt instead of dropping it is totally beyond me. The only tablet on the market with this feature and their flagship handset is release without it. The connectivity of my Z10 is approx the same as my wife's SIII or my eldest sons iPhone 5, both of which I've tested with my pb. However while your out and about try connecting your pb to the Z10 with mobile hotspot to access the web!

Please do not try this with less than two spare batteries in your briefcase please. It sucks power from the battery like a baby sucks milk from a bottle! The SIII and iPhone get away with it slightly better because they have, you guessed it a more powerful battery inboard.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-14-13 01:29 PM
    Sorry, but the PB still matches up very well with devices requiring twice the processing power to accomplish the same results. QNX is simply that much more efficient than android. Remember, the PlayBook hardware is fully capable of running the Z10's blazing fast browser and amazing keyboard. Same too with BB10 apps. Multitasking? Only QNX devices can truly do it no matter the hardware specs of competitors' devices. Another thing that bodes well for the PB is that the BB10 developer alpha ran on specs very similar to the PlayBook's. Probably won't see the Hub on the PlayBook but then again the hub isn't really necessary for a tablet. Looking forward to "PB10" and my Z10.
    Sorry, but this posting is beyond ridiculous. Your claim that PB matches up "very well" with devices having twice the processing power is simply wrong. Just compare a Nexus 7, and how much fast it is, with virtually no lag. Just as absurd is your clima the QNX is "simply that much more efficient than android". It is nothing of the sort. My Samsung S2 phone, with one gig of ram, runs circles around my PB in every way. You mention multitasking. My SG phone can easily cache a dozen or more apps for quick reloading, unlike my PB that regularly closes apps once I have three or four up and running. In fact, I frequently use my SG phone, instead of my PB despite its larger screen, simply because of its faster, smoother operation and easy access to running apps.

Just the other night, I hauled out my PB (in front of friends) to check a website that compares drugstore prices and dispensing fees. It wouldn't work on the Playbook, even with flash and java enabled. But it worked slick as a whistle on my SG phone. But then, I've grown accustomed to that kind of performance on the PB. Must be cause it's "simply that much more efficient than android", I suppose.
    03-26-13 12:10 PM
    Sorry, but this posting is beyond ridiculous. Your claim that PB matches up "very well" with devices having twice the processing power is simply wrong. Just compare a Nexus 7, and how much fast it is, with virtually no lag. Just as absurd is your clima the QNX is "simply that much more efficient than android". It is nothing of the sort. My Samsung S2 phone, with one gig of ram, runs circles around my PB in every way. You mention multitasking. My SG phone can easily cache a dozen or more apps for quick reloading, unlike my PB that regularly closes apps once I have three or four up and running. In fact, I frequently use my SG phone, instead of my PB despite its larger screen, simply because of its faster, smoother operation and easy access to running apps.

Just the other night, I hauled out my PB (in front of friends) to check a website that compares drugstore prices and dispensing fees. It wouldn't work on the Playbook, even with flash and java enabled. But it worked slick as a whistle on my SG phone. But then, I've grown accustomed to that kind of performance on the PB. Must be cause it's "simply that much more efficient than android", I suppose.
    I have the SII, SIII and galaxy tab 10.1.

Do you connect your pb to the web through wifi or your mobile?
    03-26-13 12:26 PM
    Out of curiosity, just curious about the performance enhancements that you feel need to be done? Not challenging, just asking.

I've had my PlayBook since just before 2.0 launched, so my experience is different than that of an early adopter in that I saw a good deal and I saw it evolve into what I see as a now decent tablet. I find the OS performs, I find it easy to use, I have many apps I like. My two biggest gripes were its lack of iCloud integration (I'm a multi-device household) and browser crashing. The recent update seems to have added integration for iCloud and eliminated browser crashing for me altogether. (knock wood).
    Both were and remain problems, though I agree the update did help. I like the PB's cameras and P2G. But it's next to impossible to do anything with them. You can't easily share photos/vids or documents out of P2G. For example, when planning a trip, I copy all travel documents (flights, hotel reservations, etc.) to P2G. Next week I'm taking a trip with another couple and would like to share those documents with them. But I can't. So instead I have to now track them down in emails and forward them that way. It sure would be nice to just share them from P2G. Same with photos. Last trip I took I ended up using mainly my phone for pics/vids because I could instantly edit/crop them and upload them to the cloud. The recent update did nothing for this problem.

I would like to see a few things. First, the AIR platform that powers a lot of the apps seems really sluggish. Like slow to respond to things like button presses. It's really a contrast when you play something like DEAD SPACE and see all those things happening on the screen and then go to BLAQ and not have it respond to a button tap. Hoping native cascades apps deliver a nicer experience.
    Yes. And it's really irritating. My similarly specced SG II phone (it runs at 1.5mhz but has only one gig of ram, like the PB) has virtually no lag on anything I throw at it. That's partly apps but even BB apps underperform what I am accustomed to in android. Tells me the PB's OS is not well optimized.

The other is JavaScript in the browser. The latest update seems to have eliminated my crashes, reduced the checkerboarding and stalling that plagued me in the past. Generally PlayBook browser is much faster than my iPod Touch (2nd gen) and a bit behind my iPad mini, but within the same ballpark. JavaScript seems to be its weakness.
    No doubt the iPod Touch 2 is slow. That's really old and much lower specced. Compared to my year-old Samsung S2 phone (it's the LTE HD model but I am only comparing wifi performance anyway), the PB is a pretty laggy still, though much better than when I bought it in December 2011.

If BlackBerry 10 addresses those things, I'd be pretty golden.
    I don't expect miracles out of two-year-old technology. But I still thnk the OS could be better optimized to reduce lag and improve browsing. And it definitely needs the android emulator updated to ICS if it's going to compete with currently available android tabs.

The PB is a very well-built device. Just in the last three days I knocked it off a table twice (caught the charging cord) onto a hardwood floor. It didn't even say 'ouch'.
    Last edited by brianatbb; 03-26-13 at 04:29 PM.
    03-26-13 12:28 PM
    I connect via wifi on both. So they were using the same router, same location, same time (almost). I have always found the PB browser depressingly buggy, though at times it works well. But seldom as well as my Samsung phone's browser, using Chrome.
    03-26-13 04:23 PM
    Both were and remain problems, though I agree the update did help. I like the PB's cameras and P2G. But it's next to impossible to do anything with them. You can't easily share photos/vids or documents out of P2G. For example, when planning a trip, I copy all travel documents (flights, hotel reservations, etc.) to P2G. Next week I'm taking a trip with another couple and would like to share those documents with them. But I can't. So instead I have to now track them down in emails and forward them that way. It sure would be nice to just share them from P2G. Same with photos. Last trip I took I ended up using mainly my phone for pics/vids because I could instantly edit/crop them and upload them to the cloud. The recent update did nothing for this problem.
    I'll just hone in on this pet peeve of mine which I so truly hope that they can rectify in whatever they do with the next/new/hopeful OS update. Make it easier to email specific files without having to search hundreds of items. And, yes, Pacoman, I know it can be done through some Android maneuvers but really a native solution should not still be in the wings after two full years (yes, next month if not quite next week, the pb will be two years old).
    03-26-13 04:58 PM
57 123