Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
03-22-12 07:05 AM
183 123 ...
tools
    ---------
    A little update. I got in touch with Rim Corporate Security. They will send me a prepaid return box to send the PB back. They will also send me a new replacement.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

----------
    Long story short, my wife likes my Playbook 2.0 and I saw that someone was selling one that doesn't boot up on ebay, so I bought it. I was thinking I can easily restore the OS.

So I received it today, and it is the Playbook 4G Evaluation Unit. I believe the seller upgraded it to 2.0 and it bricked the playbook. The seller didn't mention about it being an evaluation unit and he sold it as is. So I don't think I can get my money back.

So now I got a playbook 4G that doesn't boot pass Blackberry screen. The desktop software won't connect to it neither. It won't connect to the boot rom, but the software can see the PIN. Am I SOL?

My major concern is that the unit could be a stolen unit and I may get into trouble. The playbook clearly says "Property of Research in Motion Limited" Evaluation Unit. Not for sale or lease."

Do you guys think I should contact RIM to see if they want it back?

You guys may wanna see some pictures:

Last edited by thetaro; 03-03-12 at 11:24 PM.
    03-02-12 07:48 PM
    If you contact RIM, they will likely want it back...but if history repeats itself they will offer you a WiFi model just to get it back plus, maybe some other goodies.
    03-02-12 07:54 PM
    If it were me I would contact RIM. tell them EXACTLY what happened and go from there.
    03-02-12 07:54 PM
    I would try and contact RIM and ask what the is going on, and whether they can it back. But do make sure you have all the documentation to prove that you purchased this over ebay. Receipts, screen shots and what not to prove you weren't the one who stole it.

Though I'm curious, if its 4G, where is the sim card slot?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    owlsowls likes this.
    03-02-12 07:55 PM
    Since it's the 4G model, I'd demand 2 or 3 Playbooks in exchange
    03-02-12 07:56 PM
    you contact RIM or you can wait for RIM to contact you, either way you will be talking to RIM soon, is my guess
    Carbonetics likes this.
    03-02-12 07:57 PM
    you contact RIM or you can wait for RIM to contact you, either way you will be talking to RIM soon, is my guess
    RIM will be contacting you via a subpoena
    03-02-12 07:58 PM
    Sweet action.

From my BadAss Playbook with Tapatalk
    03-02-12 08:00 PM
    Sometimes there is a good reason why things are on Ebay.....
    findingnemo0303 and tomgnc like this.
    03-02-12 08:01 PM
    ask for RMA, you got a lemon ! ROFLOL

No, seriously, call RIM office near you (any mod or team can relay this for OP ?). Explain, be honest ... I can't believe they won't reward it somehow. It's probably a stolen unit, frozen by RIM when the seller tried to update. Anyway you probably won't be able to use it.
    03-02-12 08:05 PM
    Why don't you try and contact Mr. Sanders... or is it Saunders? on Twitter? he may give you his email to go into more detail of how you got this.
    Last edited by jafobabe; 03-02-12 at 08:15 PM.
    03-02-12 08:08 PM
    btw, the power button on the 4G one is "Pressable" if you know what I mean.
    Does it have a simcard slot?
    R U crazy?!!! I would try the many methods of getting the device de-bricked and then once U repair it, it would be cool to have a 4G playbook! but I suspect you would need a 4G hardware rom to take advantage of the 4G?...also why would YOU get in trouble? seems the guy who sold it would be the one who is in trouble! also if you make a dispute with ebay since he didnt mention it was a 4G EVALUATION UNIT, so he didnt comply with ebay rules! you have a legitimate reason to dispute!
    03-02-12 08:14 PM
    Does it have a simcard slot?
    No sim slot. It's probably the one for Sprint Wimax that they decided not to sell.
    03-02-12 08:16 PM
    Awesome I see good things coming your way via Research in motion.
    03-02-12 08:19 PM
    wow thats a crazy buy on ebay
    03-02-12 08:19 PM
    Does windows detect the device? Maybe you could use dingleberry to try to load OS
    03-02-12 08:20 PM
    R U crazy?!!! I would try the many methods of getting the device de-bricked and then once U repair it, it would be cool to have a 4G playbook! but I suspect you would need a 4G hardware rom to take advantage of the 4G?...also why would YOU get in trouble? seems the guy who sold it would be the one who is in trouble! also if you make a dispute with ebay since he didnt mention it was a 4G EVALUATION UNIT, so he didnt comply with ebay rules! you have a legitimate reason to dispute!
    I believe Possession of stolen goods is a crime in US. I can't prove it though. That's why I want to contact RIM first, but I am thinking that they may not compensate my loss.

Seller did mention that he is selling it as is for parts only, no return for any reason.
    03-02-12 08:21 PM
    Get me one
    Rlf
    03-02-12 08:21 PM
    Does windows detect the device? Maybe you could use dingleberry to try to load OS
    It does detect the device and the BBDS can see the pin, but it won't restore the OS. I think it has a different boot rom on the 4G and the software was trying to restore 2.0 7971. I doubt RIM made a 2.0 for 4G since Sprint killed the 4G PB back in last August.

03-02-12 08:26 PM
    how much was it?
    03-02-12 08:29 PM
    Now THAT is a collectors item!
    I'd be on the phone to RIM asap anyway...
    03-02-12 08:41 PM
    It does detect the device and the BBDS can see the pin, but it won't restore the OS. I think it has a different boot rom on the 4G and the software was trying to restore 2.0 7971. I doubt RIM made a 2.0 for 4G since Sprint killed the 4G PB back in last August.
    You should ...
    Remove that image or at least hide the pin ... now you can be linked in seconds to the stolen item. Call RIM first !
    03-02-12 08:47 PM
    First, report the seller to ebay. I don't think they are too keen on people selling stolen property on their site.

Second, contact RIM. I'm positive they will want it back and will appreciate the gesture. I also have to believe they will compensate you for your honesty.
    wobly likes this.
    03-02-12 08:49 PM
183 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD