i use google in almost all aspects of my "electronic" life. so not having google maps working on my PB drives me crazy. so i tried a workaround that actually worked:

i use igoogle as my home page, and just installed the google maps gadget. so when i sign in to google on my playbook, and go to igoogle, it is right there on my home page. when i click on the button to maximize the gadget to full screen, the google maps gadget opens up larger, and (believe it or not), you can use it just like google maps. you can pan, pinch-to-zoom, all that. it actually works great - very smooth and loads quickly.

it doesn't look like the gps locator works, nor the "my maps" functionality, however. but the search function works just fine.

sorry if this has been posted already.

brian
    FF22 and peter9477 like this.
    01-22-12 09:20 AM
    Very interesting. It does appear to work for panning and zooming and searching.

Thanks. Of course, now google will know who I am more so than they do now! I wonder if they can tie all of my various gmail accounts together!
    01-22-12 11:30 AM
    Interesting... I wonder if now Google will disable that functionality for the PlayBook... after all, if it works here, why wouldn't it work on the main page unless they didn't want it to?
    01-22-12 11:58 AM
    Interesting... I wonder if now Google will disable that functionality for the PlayBook... after all, if it works here, why wouldn't it work on the main page unless they didn't want it to?
    exactly what i was thinking. i know this has been beat to death, but i wonder if it could be RIM that is keeping it from working, due to their relationship with microsoft. gotta love conspiracy theories.

brian
    01-22-12 12:13 PM
    Shush!!!

What ever did happen to their motto "do no wrong?" Changed to "Do no wrong as long as folks use Android!"

Or perhaps "Do no wrong unless we drive by your home and capture your wireless communications?" "Or republish your copyrighted book without your permission"

Edited to add: Ohhhhhhhh, I like the conspiracy theory. After all Verizon blocked us from using google as the default homepage after reaching an almost 3/4 billion deal with Bing.
    Last edited by F2; 01-22-12 at 12:21 PM.
    01-22-12 12:19 PM
    MapApp works well enough.
    01-22-12 12:24 PM
    01-22-12 12:27 PM
    r0v3rT3N:

I guess the question/issue is why do those "front ends" work whereas the actual google maps site does not? Seems so odd.
    01-22-12 12:40 PM
    Good find! Although the GPS Maps app does use the much better Google satellite imagery, the zoom feature appears crippled (won't zoom far enough in), and the search function is almost useless. I expected much better for five bucks---considering better functionality is totally free on all other platforms.
    Last edited by dugggggg; 01-22-12 at 12:47 PM. Reason: typo
    01-22-12 12:44 PM
    r0v3rT3N:

I guess the question/issue is why do those "front ends" work whereas the actual google maps site does not? Seems so odd.
    Maybe the Browser is incompatible with Google Maps?I'm pretty sure they modified the source code anyway...
    01-22-12 12:53 PM
    Good find! Although the GPS Maps app does use the much better Google satellite imagery, the zoom feature appears crippled (won't zoom far enough in), and the search function is almost useless. I expected much better for five bucks---considering better functionality is totally free on all other platforms.
    The second link I posted my suit everyone's needs better it's $2.99 and says this:
    "**Best Implementation of Pinch Zoom**
    **Includes Panoramio and Traffic View!!**"
    01-22-12 01:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD