I almost lost my all data....again. On the very last attempt I put right password. I like security and everything but I do not work for Cia and I do not need that good security.
    Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    dave_h_946 and mrzeolite like this.
    12-23-12 02:03 PM
    I get what you mean, but it is a well known thing about Blackberry devices and their security. On a brighter note, I'm pretty sure if you've got Blackberry Protect installed (and running correctly), even if you do manage to wipe everything, it can be easily reloaded from Blackberry Protect.

Si.
    12-23-12 02:32 PM
    ten attempts I hardly call it good security, but I am glad you got it eventually. You are an experienced crackberrian so you know you can choose to opt out. But lets not forget that the PB is a highly portable device and such security is needed.
    12-23-12 02:57 PM
    Hello,
    I can't remember my wipe sec. password on my blackberry book
    How can I recover it?
    12-23-12 03:01 PM
    ten attempts I hardly call it good security, but I am glad you got it eventually. You are an experienced crackberrian so you know you can choose to opt out. But lets not forget that the PB is a highly portable device and such security is needed.
    this was literally to the last try. I had to put in "blackberry" and then I had last possibility to enter password and if wrong it was immediate wipe. I finally recalled the password but I did not remember if it started with small or capital letter. So my hand was shaking a bit pressing enter

Anyways, I did find a little bit of hack that allows to access files even if playbook is password protected.

Thing is that my playbook is set up to shade files on my home network. I could access all files through wifi without entering any password.

I did transfer my files before attempting last password try in case I was wrong.

The thing was that I had some names and ophone # n playbook that cI could not access through wifi file sharing.

I also called rim tech support but pretty much they said that they do not recommend password to be set up for individuals as this happen all the time and they cannot do much.

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    12-23-12 03:26 PM
    why not just use a password that you will remember.
    12-23-12 03:37 PM
    Was this a new password you just set up? Otherwise, haven't you been entering/using it for a while now?

I don't think BB Protect exists for the pb.

How did you get to the Sharing aspect. Just now using wifi sharing, I had to enter the pb's ID and my password on my computer to see the files on the pb.
    Last edited by F2; 12-23-12 at 04:14 PM.
    12-23-12 03:53 PM

How did you get to the Sharing aspect. Just now using wifi sharing, I had to enter my password on my computer to see the files on the pb.
    You can set passwords separately for Wifi file sharing and the PB. So password protecting the PB doesn't protect Wifi sharing and vice versa.
    12-23-12 04:02 PM
    You can set passwords separately for Wifi file sharing and the PB. So password protecting the PB doesn't protect Wifi sharing and vice versa.
    Ohhhhhhhhhh. I guess I just protected everything that moved!!!! Same password making it simpler.
    12-23-12 04:15 PM
    **Winner**

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-23-12 04:19 PM
    I've been using Password Keeper for years to store personal info: Bank accounts, passwords, birthdays, insurance info, kids social security #'s, etc, etc. I love just having to remember ONE password to get to ALL passwords. And to have it all backed up with BB Protect is just awesome. Might be a good solution for those who set up stuff and forget what it is....like my wife.
    12-23-12 04:58 PM
    Hello,
    I can't remember my wipe sec. password on my blackberry book
    How can I recover it?
    The password is non-recoverable. Adios.
    12-23-12 05:43 PM
    so true. for my protection i decided to use new password....
    12-23-12 06:32 PM
    "I do not work for Cia and I do not need that good security. "

but there are those that do hence the FIPS 140-2 certification...
    12-23-12 10:11 PM
    "I do not work for Cia and I do not need that good security. "

but there are those that do hence the FIPS 140-2 certification...
    I know it is good to have this type of security. It is just not good for "idiots" like me who set password and then forget it.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    12-24-12 12:08 AM
    Write down passwords somewhere maybe a couple of places and back up data. Don't trust your memory too much.
    12-24-12 12:24 AM
    I know it is good to have this type of security. It is just not good for "idiots" like me who set password and then forget it.
    Actually, yes it is.
    The password is there to keep other people out of your data not you.
    If you misplace your Playbook you don't want strangers having unlimited tries at guessing your password.

Just use a 4 digit password. The last 4 digits of your phone number for example. Easy enough for you to remember but very difficult for a stranger to guess in 10 tries.

By the way, back up your data. If the data is that important to you and there is only one copy you will lose it someday.
    12-24-12 04:40 AM
    Re: Passwords

I visited a friend and asked to use her wifi. She rattled off 12 very random (to me) digits. I asked how she remembered those. They were digits from 3 addresses where she lived and knew them very well. I've been here too long and don't recall the 3rd back address!

And above, someone mentioned BB Password Keeper. I use to use that but moved to Datavault - problem, I don't really remember the Keeper password and Datavault does not have a pb version although I do generally have my bb phone with datavault available.
    12-24-12 09:25 AM
    My first point is that we all have known for years that, on BB phones (& now tablets), it is 10 tries then the device is wiped. Since you know that, it is a good idea to keep track of your passwords, see numerous good suggestions above. Pick one. But don`t complain to others if you cannot remember your own password. Are you 5 years old? Sorry feeling grumpy and the wording of the post title is annoying. Most of us want our data protected.

To the OP who mentioned in post / 5 that he could access PB files over wifi, if you don`t want that, there is a new feature in OS 2.1 which allows you to encrypt the data on the PB`s flash memory. No password is set for that, and access to the files is allowed after you enter the PB`s logon password.

For those who find the password problematic, I like the suggestion made to the OP by RIM staff to simply not set a password. If the PB only has games, ebooks, etc., maybe just forget about the password. But for others who might have sensitive personal or business info, best to set and remember your password.

Let`s all hope BB10 for the PB includes BB Protect.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-24-12 09:53 AM
    I get what you mean, but it is a well known thing about Blackberry devices and their security. On a brighter note, I'm pretty sure if you've got Blackberry Protect installed (and running correctly), even if you do manage to wipe everything, it can be easily reloaded from Blackberry Protect.

Si.
    BlackBerry Protect does not back up a lot of things. But it does save the most important thing -- to me -- contacts.

Oh... and it's a PlayBook. So there is no BB Protect.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-24-12 10:04 AM
    ha! thanks 4 the chuckle dude...
    12-24-12 01:01 PM
    K so just back up your data on your computer and then plug 'er in if she gets wiped. Simple as that
    12-24-12 03:22 PM
    K,
    i don't ask how can i forget my password, i know this thing,
    i ask how can i recover it
    Is someone who can help me
    In fact is not dramatic, i just can't put any important information on my BB book becouse will be erased when this will ask me again wipe password
    12-25-12 06:50 AM
    There is no way to recover a forgotten password on Blackberry devices. That is part of the security.

If information is really important it should never be stored in only one place anyway. Always have at least three copies in different physical locations.
    No device is safe for life. Every hard drive is going to crash, they are mechanical devices that will wear out or seize. Every memory stick / card is going to reach it's read / write limit or be wiped out by magnetic or electronic interference. All you want to prevent is this happening all at one time.
    12-25-12 07:14 AM
    To the OP who mentioned in post / 5 that he could access PB files over wifi, if you don`t want that, there is a new feature in OS 2.1 which allows you to encrypt the data on the PB`s flash memory. No password is set for that, and access to the files is allowed after you enter the PB`s logon password.
    That's not how encryption works, you will still be able to access WiFi files on a locked and encrypted PlayBook. Encryption is there to deter, for example, forensic recovery where the storage medium is removed and read by an external reader. Without the encryption key generated by the PlayBook password, the files can be accessed but will be 'scrambled'.

When you turn on WiFi sharing, the PlayBook will warn you to create a password for the share. This password can be different from the PlayBook password (so you can give out access to files without giving out your main PlayBook password) and will discourage unauthorised access to your network share.
    12-25-12 07:49 AM
30 12