I was in my local Best Buy today and asked the cell phone reps if they had a PB display unit I could look at. I expected to see a dummy unit, but was pleasantly surprised when he handed me a working 16 Gb Playbook. Once I got over my initial shock and started playing with it, I was impressed. I was afraid it would feel flimsy and plastic, but it had a nice weight and felt very sturdy. I played a little Need for Speed, a video and opened a couple of other apps without any lag. Everything worked just as advertised. I know this isn't anything new for anyone who frequents this site, but I was so excited by finally getting my hands on one, I just had to share. And for those who say "no picture, no proof"; here you go...
    peter9477 likes this.
    04-17-11 04:08 PM
    I checked my local staples they didn't have demo units yet.

Is the LCD pure black when it is turned off? Does the screen blend in with the black frame or is it of a different shade than black?
    04-17-11 04:13 PM
    It was already on when they handed it to me, so I didn't see and I didn't think to turn it off.
    04-17-11 04:25 PM
    I checked my local staples they didn't have demo units yet.

Is the LCD pure black when it is turned off? Does the screen blend in with the black frame or is it of a different shade than black?
    IIRC (from yesterday's trip to BB), it's not quite as dark as an iPod Touch 4G, but it's pretty dark.
    04-17-11 04:29 PM
    I visited my Best Buy store and played with the Play Book. I was very suprised with the way the unit felt, very sturdy, a little weight to it, but felt very comfortable in my hand. I went through every thing (apps) and I tell you I saw no lag (lag is over rated anyway!). The browser works well, I see no need for a FB or Twitter app., you can get the full web page experience. Overall I am very impressed with the Play Book. Can't wait to get my unit (It's on the way).
    04-17-11 05:28 PM
    Anyone try the Blackberry Bridge?

If so how did was it?
    04-17-11 05:33 PM
    Same. Finally got to use one and I am very impressed. Can't wait till Tuesday! Lame that BB bridge wasn't available. Oh, and I updated their software haha

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-11 05:36 PM

If so how did was it?
    Says it'll be available at launch

04-17-11 05:37 PM
    Nice pic! Very much the cat that got the cream
    04-17-11 05:38 PM
    I also visited my local BB today(Surprised they had a demo unit), The PB felt pretty nice in the hands. The LCD had magnificent colors that just popped. The one I used was on version .1628. Hulu ran nice and so did Cr8Rec.com(I love Recs). The touch screen was amazingly smooth and fluid, no crashes for me so imagine when the final software is available for download. Ultimately I can't wait til tuesday.......
    04-17-11 05:40 PM
    I got to play with too. Milpitas Best Buy has it on display

I would go into details about the device but everything is written about it on the boards already. Now you have to just experience it yourself first hand. So go out there and get some

04-17-11 05:42 PM
    I also visited my local BB today(Surprised they had a demo unit), The PB felt pretty nice in the hands. The LCD had magnificent colors that just popped. The one I used was on version .1628. Hulu ran nice and so did Cr8Rec.com(I love Recs). The touch screen was amazingly smooth and fluid, no crashes for me so imagine when the final software is available for download. Ultimately I can't wait til tuesday.......
    How did u feel about orientation switching? The one I tried was pretty laggy, but other than that, everything I did try was N-I-C-E.
    04-17-11 05:45 PM
    How did u feel about orientation switching? The one I tried was pretty laggy, but other than that, everything I did try was N-I-C-E.
    Could have been just a bit faster, but something that didn't bother me too much.
    04-17-11 05:51 PM
    Nice pic! Very much the cat that got the cream
    Yeah, I was happy as a pig in fecal matter! The in store VZW rep is who took the picture.

The colors did look great! The cameras were fantastic too. In fact, the video I mentioned earlier was one the BB reps had made the day before and you could hear him say, "Wow, the video is amazing!" I haven't been keeping up on the different software builds, but on this unit, it was very fluid. I noticed no lag at all and it transitioned to portrait mode quickly and smoothly. I can't wait until I can buy one!
    04-17-11 05:51 PM
    Yeah, I was happy as a pig in fecal matter! The in store VZW rep is who took the picture.

The colors did look great! The cameras were fantastic too. In fact, the video I mentioned earlier was one the BB reps had made the day before and you could hear him say, "Wow, the video is amazing!" I haven't been keeping up on the different software builds, but on this unit, it was very fluid. I noticed no lag at all and it transitioned to portrait mode quickly and smoothly. I can't wait until I can buy one!
    I agree with you on the cameras as well, my wife looked at the PB cameras and then whipped out her Xoom and just shook her head.........lol it was classic.
    NobleSix likes this.
    04-17-11 05:55 PM
    Could have been just a bit faster, but something that didn't bother me too much.
    I think the sales person had just turned this one on. That might be a reason for the differences in our observations.

Does anyone have an opinion on which capacity to get? I'm leaning towards getting the 64 Gb version, but the peice is a bit prohibitive.
    04-17-11 06:01 PM
    I agree with you on the cameras as well, my wife looked at the PB cameras and then whipped out her Xoom and just shook her head.........lol it was classic.
    yeah, I checked out the xoom when it first hit Verizon--it was very underwhelming. the camera and screen both are very "MEH". I wasn't impressed with Honeycomb, either. My high hopes that it would be cool were dashed in mere moments.
    04-17-11 06:02 PM
    Not sure if I can add anything to what's been previously said in these forums, but I'd like to echo that in addition to how great the screen looks, the PB just *feels* good in your hands. I have an iPhone4 in a Speck skin and I love how it feels. The PB gives me the same sense of handling a quality product that's beautifully engineered. I did not want to put it down. I pre-ordered one from Staples (next to work) and the manager said that they will be handing out coupons for discounts on PB accessories. I'm trying to decide between the simple skin (to match my iPhone4), or the convertible case (to help with protecting the screen when it's in my book bag).

I did try the documents to go programs, I mean, apps. And they looked good. I also fired up Outlook Web Access on the browser and it worked.
    NobleSix likes this.
    04-17-11 06:09 PM

If so how did was it?
    This is the problem with everyone who has played with it IN A STORE. They have no experience with the device in real life. Reviewers, even though some are biased, are reviewing the PlayBook after at least a day of real life use. When you're in a store sure it looks cool and works well...it's connected to WiFi!!! Take that baby OFF WiFi and see how nice it works

I'm still waiting for a 3G or 4G version to come out, releasing without this features is very stupid on RIM's part. Look at all the tablets out there, sorry but RIM will continue to lose users month after month until they realize they can't profit from their old followers.
    04-17-11 06:11 PM
    Damn, the playbook is small, to small for me. The bestbuy didn't have a charger setup and the playbook was dead, but man that is TO small. The samsung galaxy tab has a bigger screen. I think I will pass....
    04-17-11 06:17 PM
    yeah, I checked out the xoom when it first hit Verizon--it was very underwhelming. the camera and screen both are very "MEH". I wasn't impressed with Honeycomb, either. My high hopes that it would be cool were dashed in mere moments.
    I agree Dave! I was very underwhelmed with the Xoom also. I thought the screen was bland and I felt Honeycomb looked rough and a bit unfinished. That being said, I think the form factor is a nice middle ground between PB and the iPad.
    04-17-11 06:17 PM
    This is the problem with everyone who has played with it IN A STORE. They have no experience with the device in real life. Reviewers, even though some are biased, are reviewing the PlayBook after at least a day of real life use. When you're in a store sure it looks cool and works well...it's connected to WiFi!!! Take that baby OFF WiFi and see how nice it works

I'm still waiting for a 3G or 4G version to come out, releasing without this features is very stupid on RIM's part. Look at all the tablets out there, sorry but RIM will continue to lose users month after month until they realize they can't profit from their old followers.
    I dont need to spend the extra $ on a 3G/4G model. When I'm not at a wifi access point (at work or home) I will just use my iPhone4's personal hotspot feature. My carrier (Telus in Canada) allows me to tether for free (I have a 6 GB/month plan).
    04-17-11 06:19 PM
    I played with .1500 today. VERY impressed. The portability really is a huge plus for the PB. The power button wasn't raised, but was able to press it with my fat fingers no problem. Memory management wasn't optimized - got the red glow in the corner while running several apps at once. Taught the rep a thing or two - such as swipe to wake up. Flash worked perfectly in all but one site I tried. Miniclips.com - couldn't get it to load a game. Orientation changes were fast. Crackberry.com took a looong time to load - but other sites I tried were fast. I typed a quick document on the Word app - typing felt natural in both orientations.

Compared it to iPad 2 - side by side, PB was brighter and was easier to hold in one hand.

No bridge on this version, so I loaded up Kevin's bridge demo from CB and showed it to the rep, who bookmarked it because he's getting lots of queries about it.

Asked about pre-orders - slow in Western Canada. Lots more pre-orders in Ontario than anywhere else - rep called that "BlackBerry country" (for obvious reasons).

The attached pic is of me showing the rep Kevins bridge demo.

04-17-11 06:28 PM
    I played with .1500 today. VERY impressed. The portability really is a huge plus for the PB. The power button wasn't raised, but was able to press it with my fat fingers no problem. Memory management wasn't optimized - got the red glow in the corner while running several apps at once. Taught the rep a thing or two - such as swipe to wake up. Flash worked perfectly in all but one site I tried. Miniclips.com - couldn't get it to load a game. Orientation changes were fast. Crackberry.com took a looong time to load - but other sites I tried were fast. I typed a quick document on the Word app - typing felt natural in both orientations.

Compared it to iPad 2 - side by side, PB was brighter and was easier to hold in one hand.

No bridge on this version, so I loaded up Kevin's bridge demo from CB and showed it to the rep, who bookmarked it because he's getting lots of queries about it.

Asked about pre-orders - slow in Western Canada. Lots more pre-orders in Ontario than anywhere else - rep called that "BlackBerry country" (for obvious reasons).

The attached pic is of me showing the rep Kevins bridge demo.

Nice work. All reps should be required to check crackberry twice a day
    04-17-11 06:32 PM
    Haha, love the shirt.

I'm banking on one of my local Best Buys to get it in. The one I checked, unfortunately, did not... eager to get my hands on one. I played with one at CES, but it looks like it's come a very long way since!
    04-17-11 06:32 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD