I have bought a few apps from the App world because I wanted a descent youtube app, linkedin app, etc, and they they have very good reviews.

But guess what? They are PIECES OF CRAP. Complete junk that's laggy, opens up only in android browser, and also with a phone user agent.

I don't understand. They have so FREAKIN good reviews, and I feel like the developers are deleting all the bad reviews, as I saw someone on Blackberry forum talking about that.

If this IS true, then the App World is definitely a store for SCAMMERS.

I have purchased THREE Youtube apps in total, and the best one I find actually only has 3.5/5 stars, and it's a Launcher for Youtube, with a Big red icon. It opens youtube desktop version in a SEPARATE window with a similar performance as playbook's web browser, which is good.

The two other youtube apps, which are Player for youtube, and Youtube Player, are total CRAP. Opens up as android app, and makes me choose between stock android launcher and dolphin, because I have dolphin installed. They are both LAGGY, and the mobile youtube website is a PHONE version, not mobiile TABLET version.

I have no idea how these two apps have so freakin high review ratings. Did developers actually delete bad reviews? I really want to know!!

Another app is inLink, which is a LinkedIn app, and gosh..what a laggy app..it's based on BB10, and the developer says it's running smoothly on BB10 developers edition, but so what?? Then release the app when it's actually going to perform well! I bought this app, but I stored this, and the two other youtube apps in a folder called "Worthless Paid Apps."

And why does this app also have amazing reviews?? I DON'T UNDERSTAND..

Do playbook users have very low expectations in the apps, or is it a scam????

I would like to hear your thoughts..

Thanks for reading.
    rupam95 and dugggggg like this.
    11-04-12 05:40 PM
    I can't comment as to whether or not developers remove negative reviews although, like you, I am suspicious as well. And like you, I am frustrated with the poor performance of App World as a whole and have voiced on many occasions that there needs to be aware of indicating which apps are Android and which apps are not. I stopped purchasing applications now until I find out as I refuse to purchase an Android port.

But I do want to comment on one of your comments specifically; namely, "do Playbook users have low expectations on apps?" And the more I think of this, the answer has to be "yes". I think we have gone so long without any quality applications that whatever is thrown to us, we take it and then rant and rave out how the app is the coolest thing out there. When in comparison to other applications on other platforms, it's like we are using beta software instead of something complete. Case in point, people here rave about a certain twitter app and a certain google newsreader app for the Playbook - and yet when you look at what is available on other platforms, i.e., Android, iOS, and even twitter in the case of the PSVita, the apps on these platforms run circles around what is available on the Playbook. They look polished; integrate well into the OS; and in general are substantially more functional and feature-rich than what the Playbook has to offer. And yet, people on these forums praise what little we have with shouts to the heavens in joyous rapture.

That's not to say that all apps for the Playbook are bad; there are many quality applications that are certainly worthy of the praise and the reviews that they receive. But at the same time, I do think we do have a much lower expectation of what "good" is because when you have gone so long for nothing, getting "bad' apps actually seems "good".
    11-04-12 06:12 PM
    Developers can flag reviews, and RIM will removed the review if inappropriate, but it doesn't change the star rating.
    stackberry369 likes this.
    11-04-12 06:16 PM
    Always pay attention to the number of reviews. The more there are the more trustworthy the rating. Anything less than ten reviews and the rating is basically worthless.
    sw6lee and bambinoitaliano like this.
    11-04-12 06:19 PM
    I have personally given negative (not bashing) reviews in App World and have seen them disappear. I do understand that there must be a "delete review" process for the inappropriate ones (cussing, etc), but I think that the process is too flexible. I've read around here from developers who say that they can get any post they want removed. What about devs who have people (or pay them) to give a bunch of good reviews?

In my many years of buying apps, I have come to know developers I can trust to be putting out a quality app. They are the same developers who never delete a review even when they are ridiculous. They are the same developers who respond quickly when I reach out. And they are the same developers that even when I find that I don't like the app that I just bought, I feel good about "donating" my money to.
    sw6lee, endevour and smartie88 like this.
    11-04-12 07:59 PM
    Just happens that this evening I paid for and downloaded Book Reader. Well that was a mistake! I had wanted Book Reader for Epub & Kindle. The names are similar and confusing. Perhaps purposely? The app I first downloaded was very poor. The second seems very good. Both 99c! I have seen bad ones before, but mostly they were free.

Seems to me that RIM (or an independent reviewer) should vet the apps and have a section for those that meet certain standards. The rif raf should have their own section It is too easy for developers to have their friends send in a few glowing reviews and bump up the star rating. The one I mentioned above had 3 stars but really it is hard to see anyone giving it even one.

Another possibilty, would be a requirement that all apps have a trial version available that lasts for say 1 day or 3 runs (or something like that). We are getting conned by a minority of the app developers.

Finally, I have no problem with android apps if RIM has tested and approved them for use on the PB. It was a big step forward to get android compatibility.
    sw6lee likes this.
    11-04-12 09:25 PM
    This might help...

I feel like Playbook App World is a SCAM-img_00000050.jpg

And I agree. All apps should have trials. 0.99-01.99: 1 day. 2.99-4.99: 2 days. And so on...
    11-04-12 09:34 PM
    inlink is great linkedin app. at the end everyone has own opinion. so far I bought one game that I just hate and I want my money back. Heli Battle is so bad

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    ignites likes this.
    11-04-12 09:53 PM
    Another app is inLink, which is a LinkedIn app, and gosh..what a laggy app..it's based on BB10, and the developer says it's running smoothly on BB10 developers edition, but so what?? Then release the app when it's actually going to perform well!
    Hello,

I am the developer for inLink, I am sorry about your experience. As you can see from a third-party reviews with video (which are on my website techfruits.com | inLink) they run relatively smoothly and only on some occasion a half a second of lag depending on how the PlayBook decides to handle the memory at that point which is out of our control. We're currently running on beta open source software from RIM and of course I too would like the app to run optimally as it does natively in BlackBerry 10 which is why I have offer the upgrade free of charge to existing users of this app. Sometimes reinstalling an app can help its performance as well (you will not be double charge for this app, I guarantee it!).

If you have any questions you can reach me via 1) support <at> techfruits.com 2) twitter: @techfruitscom 3) CrackBerry PM 4) BlackBerry Support Forums PM same username.

If you are unsatisfied with your purchase you can request a refund using the information provided in the receipt you received from BlackBerry App World.

PS for the record, your review was not denied from us in BlackBerry App World, it might just not show up as they randomize the reviews which show up.

Best Regards.
    11-04-12 10:03 PM
    OP, we all share your frustration that RIM seems to turn a blind eye when devs ask to remove unfavorable reviews.

Shortly after I bought my PB almost a year ago, I wanted a better map app than Bing Maps, so I didn't even hesitate to plunk down five bucks on a highly rated app with only one slightly unfavorable review. So I was absolutely dumbfounded when it became apparent that I had been royally ripped off. I said as much in my review---which was, of course, removed the next day.

As a result, I bought no more apps for several months, until a post from a developer like Ignites convinced me that one bad apple really shouldn't spoil the whole barrel. I emailed RIM, they promptly refunded my $4.99, and I have since bought several other apps, all of which were worth their purchase price.
    sw6lee likes this.
    11-04-12 11:26 PM
    OP, we all share your frustration that RIM seems to turn a blind eye when devs ask to remove unfavorable reviews.

Shortly after I bought my PB almost a year ago, I wanted a better map app than Bing Maps, so I didn't even hesitate to plunk down five bucks on a highly rated app with only one slightly unfavorable review. So I was absolutely dumbfounded when it became apparent that I had been royally ripped off. I said as much in my review---which was, of course, removed the next day.

As a result, I bought no more apps for several months, until a post from a developer like Ignites convinced me that one bad apple really shouldn't spoil the whole barrel. I emailed RIM, they promptly refunded my $4.99, and I have since bought several other apps, all of which were worth their purchase price.
    Do you have the email address to send to for a refund? I bought a Google Maps app that I'd like a refund for:

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...e-maps-751479/
    11-05-12 12:21 AM
    Hello,

I am the developer for inLink, I am sorry about your experience. As you can see from a third-party reviews with video (which are on my website techfruits.com | inLink) they run relatively smoothly and only on some occasion a half a second of lag depending on how the PlayBook decides to handle the memory at that point which is out of our control. We're currently running on beta open source software from RIM and of course I too would like the app to run optimally as it does natively in BlackBerry 10 which is why I have offer the upgrade free of charge to existing users of this app. Sometimes reinstalling an app can help its performance as well (you will not be double charge for this app, I guarantee it!).

If you have any questions you can reach me via 1) support <at> techfruits.com 2) twitter: @techfruitscom 3) CrackBerry PM 4) BlackBerry Support Forums PM same username.

If you are unsatisfied with your purchase you can request a refund using the information provided in the receipt you received from BlackBerry App World.

PS for the record, your review was not denied from us in BlackBerry App World, it might just not show up as they randomize the reviews which show up.

Best Regards.
    I applaud that you're here on the forums and are responsive to users!
    11-05-12 12:22 AM
    i used to purchase sparingly because because of the reasons stated by the OP. But the android player was the last straw. Like many over here on the forums, I don't believe in paying for an android port.

if the dev can't even make the effort to create a native app to optimize my user experience, he doesn't deserve my money.
    11-05-12 01:40 AM
    I don't like to make posts knocking apps because I appreciate anyone developing apps for Playbook. But when I see only 5 star reviews for some of the apps I have tried, it really don't understand it. Just because an app is AVAILABLE for Playbook, it doesn't mean it automatically warrants a 5 star rating. Which I get the impression is what a lot of people do. If you compare those apps to Android or iOS versions though, there is no way you can give them 5 stars. If you view them strictly as a Playbook app, most of them still aren't worthy of 5 stars. Even the apps that have decent functionality have some horrible UI's (which I think should be a rating factor with something like an app).

I have never left a 'nasty' review, but I have left critical reviews and as with other posters, they just never showed up in the reviews. App Store is just horrid IMO, and this is an issue that contributes to that. I am thankful for this forum because it's the place where I discover good apps to check out, and read more realistic reviews.
    sw6lee likes this.
    11-05-12 06:28 AM
    Again, like someone said above, this is a numbers game. The more people review the apps the more reliable the opinions are. Playbook does not have many users and as many apps from the get go, A few people just got overly excited to see new apps and games on it and declare 5 stars. It's a learning curve. Check the news forum for review by crackberry contributors. Sometimes there are demos so you can judge for yourselves if it's worth your money. With the huge discount on the playbook lately, the users are growing and with the launch of BB10, hopefully there will be more quality apps coming to the platform. The experience with apps and games will improve imho.
    sw6lee likes this.
    11-05-12 07:36 AM
    I don't know if I'd go so far as to call App World a "scam." I've seen many bad reviews, even nasty ones, for many apps. In all honesty, I've seen the same stuff in other venues where I might purchase apps and such. I've been confused when I've downloaded something, or even bought something from a physical store, that had received horrible reviews. I remember buying a game years ago (Shadow Hearts for PS2) that got really bad reviews. I talked to someone at the game store, though, and the guy liked it despite that fact. So, I bought it too and thought it was an awesome game. It had it's issues, but the issues I could overlook may be ones that will be deal breakers for others.

Perhaps you are a bit more picky with your apps or just simply expect more than many other people. I would prefer to give App World and RIM the benefit of the doubt right now since I personally see no difference in their venue as opposed to others, except for the fact that there's a lot more people in the others. The number will grow eventually, especially with BB10, but I would hold off the idea that it's a scam.

I will say that the peformance of App World leaves something to be desired. However, thats a story for another time. :P

Also, if you have an issue with posts being deleted, I'd say that's more of a developer issue. In which case it really has very little to do with App World.
    sw6lee likes this.
    11-05-12 07:54 AM
    11-05-12 08:05 AM
    I don't sweat it myself. There are always good and bad apps and reviews go two ways (some are useful some are useless).

I buy whatever meets my needs. If it is functional, regardless of being attractive, I keep it. If the app is functionally broken I email for a refund. At least we have that option

Edit: the refund address is [email protected].

Ed

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    RubberChicken76, FF22 and kbz1960 like this.
    11-05-12 08:19 AM
    RE: I feel like Playbook App World is a SCAM

Some of them... one of them is the "Offline Map"... they even deleted my review when I tried to warn others...
    11-05-12 09:26 AM
    I don't sweat it myself. There are always good and bad apps and reviews go two ways (some are useful some are useless).

I buy whatever meets my needs. If it is functional, regardless of being attractive, I keep it. If the app is functionally broken I email for a refund. At least we have that option

Edit: the refund address is [email protected].

Ed
    I have tried that with Book Reader - more as a protest to app owner than anything.
    11-05-12 10:33 AM
    I believe there is SOMEWHAT of a scam going on. If a dev gets a negative review and flags it to be deleted it is in RIM's best interest to choose to delete it. The better the apps are rated, the more people will download, then more devs come because there are more downloads, then more apps, more people buy blackberrys. Thankfully there are sites like this that make us aware of such scams. But like someone else said, if there are 100 positive ratings, no matter how many the dev deleted there is a good chance the app is good for most.

The worst scam is the classic support email address that ofcourse promptly answers all questions up until download. after purchase support is nil and they ignore emails.
    11-05-12 10:59 AM
    I've purchased around 7 or 8 apps ranging from 99 cents to 5 dollars, and in every case I never relied solely on the star ratings. I find for many apps, or at least the more popular ones, there are plenty of comments/reviews on this site and others for specific apps which are more reliable. In general, yeah, the ratings are typically skewed in one way or another.

Perhaps if RIM changed the interface around a bit and forced users to type in a minimum amount of characters for their review (which I've seen on other review sites like imdb and amazon), it would dramatically limit the number of "crap" or "awesome" responses by forcing users to actually type something meaningful.
    11-05-12 11:07 AM
    Hello,

I am the developer for inLink,

Best Regards.
    Kudos, and had my answer planned even before I saw Ignites' answer:

I almost never rely solely on AppWorld reviews, unless there are over, say 20 -30 -40. I tend to trust the reviews much more when they approach the 75-100 range.

BUT - even more, I trust the CrackBerry reviews and info here in the forums. Interested in a good app? Search the forums. Good discussions on options and discussions are better than reviews. Can't find info on the specific app or type of app you are considering? Create a new post! CBers will gladly pitch in and help out.

The other great resource here is the devs themselves - we have many many many great devs that maintain threads on their apps, or as evidenced above - they care enough to follow the forums and look for chances to help their users. I have even used devs from here to ask their "pro" opinion when choosing between apps. SO AWESOME was a case where a dev I asked about opinion regarding a couple of competing apps with my specific need - HE was the dev for one of the apps yet he suggested I use the other one for my specific case!

Thanks dev's for your best efforts. Users - slow down - ask around, make a good decision, and communicate with devs and allow them to solve your issues and create a better app as a result of your input and patience.
    11-05-12 11:22 AM
    I posted a while ago asking why more developers don't offer trials and had 2 responses from developers, 1 who whined about how difficult it was and actually got quite indignant when I offered some marketing advice (I spent 30 years in software sales and marketing for some large s/w vendors) and 1 actually set up a trial but that was it. I see posts from people asking for a free trial for certain apps in a thread about the app but while the developers respond to other questions in the thread, few seem to respond to the free trial question. Unless a free trial is offered or I see a lot of positive discussion on these boards I won't buy an app and of the 4 free trials I have tried, I have bought 3 of the apps.
    I don't think most developers come under the category of "scammers" but I think a few might but that's the way of technology- a few rotten apples spoiling it for the good ones.
    11-05-12 11:29 AM
    Apps can be a scam but the transport medium whereby they come from cannot. Except for mistakes or the rare glitch App World never scams you of the App you paid for.

If OP is going so far to state otherwise, then all App World/Store/etc are "SCAMS".
    11-05-12 11:43 AM
52 123