Yeah I understand how u feel
    sw6lee likes this.
    11-05-12 11:52 AM
    App World for the PlayBook to horrible now.
    RIM needs to allow all reviews to count, and the number of reviews needs used to help "weight" the number of stars. I'd rather buy a 3 star app with 10,000 reviews than a 4 star app with only 20 reviews.

For BB10 to be a success, it will have to be fixed!
    sw6lee likes this.
    11-05-12 12:30 PM
    I posted a while ago asking why more developers don't offer trials and had 2 responses from developers, 1 who whined about how difficult it was and actually got quite indignant when I offered some marketing advice (I spent 30 years in software sales and marketing for some large s/w vendors) and 1 actually set up a trial but that was it. I see posts from people asking for a free trial for certain apps in a thread about the app but while the developers respond to other questions in the thread, few seem to respond to the free trial question. Unless a free trial is offered or I see a lot of positive discussion on these boards I won't buy an app and of the 4 free trials I have tried, I have bought 3 of the apps.
    I don't think most developers come under the category of "scammers" but I think a few might but that's the way of technology- a few rotten apples spoiling it for the good ones.
    App developers can no longer set up trials for apps now in App World. It is not possible for developers of new apps to offer a trial. Instead they can only offer a free version with upgrades through in-app purchases now. Please see https://developer.blackberry.com/dev...world/faq.html
    11-05-12 01:12 PM
    Yea. App World is terrible and unorganized. Hopefully BB10 will fix this issue.
    sw6lee likes this.
    11-05-12 01:43 PM
    I don't trust AppWorld app reviews at all, I rely much more on the experience of users in these forums, and I am VERY biased toward developers who post here, get feedback from users, and upgrade their apps.

Actually, my biggest complaint with AppWorld is that they mix books in with apps, so the Newly Arrived listing for apps is all but useless.
    sw6lee and CairnsRock like this.
    11-05-12 02:33 PM
    I wouldn't call it a scam any more than I would call walking into a department store and taking your chances with products there. Some apps are good, some are bad. I only typically buy games and haven't ever felt ripped off.

Hopefully they'll add trial versions that would go a long way to helping everyone to test what they like first.
    11-05-12 03:31 PM
    I wish people would be a little more specific than this.

What's 'terrible about it' specifically?
    11-05-12 03:32 PM
    App developers can no longer set up trials for apps now in App World. It is not possible for developers of new apps to offer a trial. Instead they can only offer a free version with upgrades through in-app purchases now. Please see https://developer.blackberry.com/dev...world/faq.html
    Hmm... this might be better than the old system where I have the free version sitting in Uninstalled and the paid version active. I was going to use the new Delete feature found on the phone AppWorld app to rid of the free version, but it no longer lists all my PlayBook apps.
    11-05-12 03:35 PM
    I wouldn't call it a scam any more than I would call walking into a department store and taking your chances with products there. Some apps are good, some are bad. I only typically buy games and haven't ever felt ripped off.
    At least with a department store, you have some recourse, by bringing it back and returning it. It's not so clear with AppWorld. I put in a request for a refund. If it goes well, then perhaps it is like a department store.
    11-05-12 03:38 PM
    I don't trust AppWorld app reviews at all, I rely much more on the experience of users in these forums, and I am VERY biased toward developers who post here, get feedback from users, and upgrade their apps.

Actually, my biggest complaint with AppWorld is that they mix books in with apps, so the Newly Arrived listing for apps is all but useless.
    Most of us agree that Crackberry is the best place to get reviews and find about apps. But we also agree that more Playbook users is good for the Playbook, and how many of them end up here? How many are having bad experiences with apps, and are p.o.'d about the reviews though? Probably a lot more.
    11-05-12 07:22 PM
    I wish people would be a little more specific than this.

What's 'terrible about it' specifically?
    Do you ever use the search function? It doesn't work worth a crap. Ever check out new arrivals and see it cluttered with books and no real organization theme? The only way I FIND an app is when I hear about it on Crackberry. Looking for an app for a specific task on App World is almost useless. The screenshots are generally bad quality, the review system is awful.... My question would more be what isn't terrible about AppWorld for Playbook?
    bdegrande and daglesj like this.
    11-05-12 07:24 PM
    My Appworld experience is basically a trial-and-error process. If it's a free / trial version, I'll download it and delete it if I don't like it. If it's a paid version, then I'll go to google and find some reviews on it.

And yes, I have purchase many apps which are useless but have great reviews. But then again, it's only a buck here and a buck there. Most I ever paid for an app was 4 bucks. I just take it as a learning experience and not choose to fret about it.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    11-05-12 07:56 PM
    At least with a department store, you have some recourse, by bringing it back and returning it. It's not so clear with AppWorld. I put in a request for a refund. If it goes well, then perhaps it is like a department store.
    Well that was pleasant. I sent an email request this morning for a refund, received an email back asking why I'm asking for a refund, replied with my reasons and got a refund about 15 minutes later /and/ the app removed from my PlayBook Uninstalled list (I was worried it would linger there forever).

Hopefully the refund will appear in PayPal soon...

EDIT: Just got an email saying the refund to the credit card or PayPal takes 5-7 business days.

EDIT: Got the refund 5 /hours/ later!
    Last edited by cbvinh; 11-06-12 at 11:42 AM.
    11-05-12 07:58 PM
    Well that was pleasant. I sent an email request this morning for a refund, received an email back asking why I'm asking for a refund, replied with my reasons and got a refund about 15 minutes later /and/ the app removed from my PlayBook Uninstalled list (I was worried it would linger there forever).

Hopefully the refund will appear in PayPal soon...
    I had a similar experience earlier.. if your reasons are good, getting a refund isn't difficult. there are some improvements that the app world could use and some good stuff about it too.. I wouldn't call it a scam altogether..
    11-05-12 08:03 PM
    I had a similar experience earlier.. if your reasons are good, getting a refund isn't difficult. there are some improvements that the app world could use and some good stuff about it too.. I wouldn't call it a scam altogether..
    I'm certainly pleased with the responsiveness. I'm more inclined to buy apps now, moreso relying on reviews here than on AppWorld, until the ratings system improves, of course.
    11-05-12 08:17 PM
    I agree that android apps should be clearly marked.
    11-06-12 01:14 AM
    Android apps need to be marked, games not so much. I have a folder called "Android Apps" just to separate the Android apps from native apps.
    11-06-12 02:10 AM
    Yeah right.

I don't know what you guys expect from BB10, but if it changes even the appworld it's going to be really strong stuff indeed.

What is needed is deep, far going change of persons at RIM. Maybe you don't realize it, but the accented characters for some European languages in many comments of appworld are still not displayed right. This puts RIM in a category below small low-tech European companies with multilingual websites.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    11-06-12 02:39 AM

Hopefully they'll add trial versions that would go a long way to helping everyone to test what they like first.
    If you buy a crappy item at a department store you can get your money back... which is why everone want App World to have trials so you don't get stuck with an app that doesn't even do what they claim it will do.
    11-06-12 10:21 AM
    I have tried that with Book Reader - more as a protest to app owner than anything.
    I felt kind of silly asking RIM to refund me 99c. But I did it anyway as a sort of protest against the very poor app "Book Reader" author who it seems to me, is riding on coattails of the very good app with unfortunately similar name ("Book Reader for Epub and Kindle"). Rim were very good. Responded promptly and no question about the refund.
    11-06-12 04:09 PM
    Thanks guys for all the replies!! I did petition for refund for all three apps I listed in the original post, and RIM offered me refunds for all of them!

However, one of the youtube apps were harder to get refund, as the dev (or scammer) changed his vendor name, so it was different from what was listed in my receipt, but I clearly had the receipt and I also sent screenshot of the receipt and the App World's My World section to show the RIM support team, and they gladly refunded for me.

I will definitely check out reviews on Crackberry.com first from now on, but now I do feel more secure purchasing apps now from App World with RIM's GREAT Customer Support!!
    11-06-12 08:25 PM
    . No worries until I found out how to get refunds I felt the same way about AppWorld. Now I feel much better.

As a courtesy to the vendors I always CC the support email for the app creator when I request a refund and explain why in my email to RIM.

Never had a problem refunding so I've never felt scammed. And as a developer I include refund instructions in any helpfiles I put up. Not as scary after that

Ed

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    11-11-12 04:43 PM
    Last month, I wrote a detailed 4-star review on App World for a game that I had just bought. I praised the game for the outstanding visuals but also commented on the game being too short and too expensive. The review was posted but a few days later, was removed. Overall, it was a positive review but I guess someone didn't like me commenting on the high price tag, low replay value and short gameplay.
    11-11-12 05:11 PM
    Sometimes RIM will also remove reviews on our behalf for a myriad of reasons without the dev knowing. But they mightve pulled it too.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    11-11-12 06:14 PM
    I don't. think App world is a scam. Though I do think that in their desperation to get the app count up, they have made it scammer friendly.
    This is a very short sighted policy as it is doing damage to the brand. With the Playbook now selling at bargain basement prices, a lot of people getting them are not BlackBerry loyalists. So if their first experience of Bb is negative they, and the people they talk to, wont be interested in a BB10 phone when they are released. The developers here should be angry that their customers are being tricked into buying junk instead of their apps.
    11-21-12 06:43 AM
52 123