No, I really don't know as I can't get any books downloaded. Every time I try, it immediately says "download interrupted".

I really don't want to take out the big hammer and do a security wipe. On that note does anyone know if all of the home screen customization is restored from backup?
    02-26-12 02:49 PM
    As long as you do a complete back up and a complete restore, everything stays the same.

But it's probably a problem with the application, have you tried deleting the application and re installing?
    02-26-12 03:47 PM
    I think amazon is blocking kindle from the playbook now.
    02-26-12 03:51 PM
    There is something very petty, trifling if you will, about a company that refuses to make available an app for all platforms.

Thanks, hp
    hpjrt likes this.
    02-26-12 03:55 PM
    There is something very petty, trifling if you will, about a company that refuses to make available an app for all platforms.

Thanks, hp
    Not really, especially when the company is competing directly against one or more of those platforms. It's too bad for us the consumers but I understand the decision.
    Jifffer likes this.
    02-26-12 03:58 PM
    I've had no issues with my Kindle app. Just downloaded a sample of the Blackberry Playbook Companion.
    02-26-12 03:59 PM
    Mine is working fine. I just downloaded something from my archive to test it. The first time I sideloaded the program it locked up after a few minutes so I uninstalled it, using the DDPB installer, then I restarted my Playbook. I then hooked it up to my computer by USB and reinstalled the Kindle App. When I opened it, it made me re-download the one book I had previously downloaded from my archive. The application worked fine after that.

If you are having difficulties, try uninstalling and reinstalling it as I did: using DDPB. That should clear up the problem.
    02-26-12 04:09 PM
    i don't see the big deal with kindle either, devoted followers of it are just like the apple fans, they want it ust because of the name. if you haven't yet bought any content on Kindle, there is no reason at all to chose kindle over Kobo. if you have, then wipe the DRM, convert it with calibre and download epub reader. no big deal.

Kindle is becoming too much of a euphemism for ereading, ive had people come up and ask me if what im holding is a kindle, i say no, its a sony reader, and they just say "oh" and walk off disinterested, as if my high end, far superior to any other e-ink device isn't worth their interest because it isnt pinned to a specific online bookstore they know of.

Im not saying Kindle isnt good, im just saying its not the be all and end all of ereading, and it certainly isnt significantly ahead of other options
    02-26-12 04:14 PM
    People don't buy it because of the name, people want it because they've had amazon Kindle accounts for years and want to read and have access to their bought materials on the PB.

I have bought only about 20 books on Kindle over the past year but its nice to have as an option so I can switch back and forth between my Kindle eInk reader and my PB. I had to grab my wife's iPad in the past to access my Kindle books on a tablet.
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    02-26-12 04:27 PM
    i don't see the big deal with kindle either, devoted followers of it are just like the apple fans, they want it ust because of the name. if you haven't yet bought any content on Kindle, there is no reason at all to chose kindle over Kobo. if you have, then wipe the DRM, convert it with calibre and download epub reader. no big deal.

Kindle is becoming too much of a euphemism for ereading, ive had people come up and ask me if what im holding is a kindle, i say no, its a sony reader, and they just say "oh" and walk off disinterested, as if my high end, far superior to any other e-ink device isn't worth their interest because it isnt pinned to a specific online bookstore they know of.

Im not saying Kindle isnt good, im just saying its not the be all and end all of ereading, and it certainly isnt significantly ahead of other options
    From my perspective, I do a lot of shopping on Amazon, and I really do like their service and prices. For me, I like the one stop shopping convenience. I have been a customer for years, I trust the service, and they have done no wrong with my account (and if there are price drops after I bought something, they give me the difference).

Also, doesn't Amazon Kindle app now support Magazines (for *a lot* cheaper than Zinio for the mags I want).

If Amazon won't provide an app, well I will use Kobo and the soon to be released Zinio rather than go without, just as I still shop other places depending on stock and price. In the end though, it is nice for me to have my shopping tied to one main site and app.

Also, people who do want a Kindle app for that or other reasons may not want to or be comfortable having to side load Kindle or converting their book collection. So that is some of the fuss.
    02-26-12 04:36 PM
    People don't buy it because of the name, people want it because they've had amazon Kindle accounts for years and want to read and have access to their bought materials on the PB.

I have bought only about 20 books on Kindle over the past year but its nice to have as an option so I can switch back and forth between my Kindle eInk reader and my PB. I had to grab my wife's iPad in the past to access my Kindle books on a tablet.
    Like he said.
    02-26-12 04:45 PM
    Like he said.
    Yeap, I have a bunch of books that I purchased for kindle on my HD7 and while reading on a 4.3in screen isn't terrible being able to read on a 7in screen is far better. That's why i'm quite pleased that my sideloaded kindle app works without a hitch.
    02-26-12 04:50 PM
    I don't know the snowball effect but maybe if x number of people write Amazon and suggest that they are making more and more purchases on Kobo because they can't use kindle on their pb's, Amazon might understand that. Because the loyalty attached to book purchases could start moving to sites beyond Amazon for other products, too.

Or they plain don't care - most likely.
    02-26-12 05:22 PM
    Don't get me wrong, i didn't say that Kindle was useless and there was no need for it. just that if the side loaded app stops working then there ARE alternatives. and that moaning about an unsupported unapproved app not working anymore is like spitting into the wind, its a fruitless task.

Anyone with a lot of pre bought kindle media probably has a device they are already running it on.
    Anyone who is capable of sideloading the kindle app to their PB has the technical knowledge to rip their kindle content for use with supported PB e-reading software
    Anyone who hasn't got kindle media already really isnt missing much by not having a kindle.
    the point i was trying to make was that the Kindle app for PB would really be more for convenience to existing users (no need to remove DRMS), rather than bringing something new to the PB.
    02-26-12 05:43 PM
    Anyone with a lot of pre bought kindle media probably has a device they are already running it on.
    Maybe some but not all. I never bought a kindle book until the amazon kindle cloud was useable by a playbook (not a sideloaded app but a web based system).

Now all of a sudden I, and many others, cannot use it.... An error message pops up.saying "error opening content, try again later", whether u try to open a downloaded book or one in the cloud.
    02-26-12 05:47 PM
    I too have kindle ebook & audible content. I would switch to Kobo except for the fact that a good chunk of the titles I want Kobo doesnt have. Unfortunately for many items Amazon is the only store in town in ebook formats.
    02-26-12 05:56 PM
    To get back to the question at the top of this thread - I too get "download interrupted" every time I try to download a book from my archive. I see them all there but can't download them. I can see the books and my magazine subscriptions, but they just won't download. I have deleted and re-installed about five times with a re-boot between each install but still no luck. I can connect to the amazon cloud for my music and it works flawlessly, but if I actually want to download content with the ereader, I cannot.
    02-27-12 09:07 AM
    To get back to the question at the top of this thread - I too get "download interrupted" every time I try to download a book from my archive. I see them all there but can't download them. I can see the books and my magazine subscriptions, but they just won't download. I have deleted and re-installed about five times with a re-boot between each install but still no luck. I can connect to the amazon cloud for my music and it works flawlessly, but if I actually want to download content with the ereader, I cannot.
    I don't know if you are taking about the Amazon Cloud Reader (web based) or the Kindle app that is side loaded on.

Many people are having problems with the cloud reader website. If you haven't downloaded the Kindle app yet I suggest that you do and see if that helps

If you're already having trouble with the Kindle app then I don't know.
    02-27-12 09:24 AM
    Don't get me wrong, i didn't say that Kindle was useless and there was no need for it. just that if the side loaded app stops working then there ARE alternatives. and that moaning about an unsupported unapproved app not working anymore is like spitting into the wind, its a fruitless task.

Anyone who is capable of sideloading the kindle app to their PB has the technical knowledge to rip their kindle content for use with supported PB e-reading software
    Anyone who hasn't got kindle media already really isnt missing much by not having a kindle.
    the point i was trying to make was that the Kindle app for PB would really be more for convenience to existing users (no need to remove DRMS), rather than bringing something new to the PB.
    Your thoughts are logical but misses a key person: Everyday Joe. At the $199 level, you can choose the Kindle, PB, or cheaper readers. Assuming I'm a typical consumer and walk into Best Buy and ask which one has Kindle books, they're going to say the Kindle. And thats the product everyday Joe will buy. What if Joe Smo wants to buy a reader for his grand parents? In both cases, Joe and his grandma does not know how or want to sideload anything. He just wants something that works! You have to understand that people are freaking busy nowadays. Between work, kids, school, life, they have no time "hack" their electronic devices. They don't hack their cars, TVs, stereos, toasters, why do they have to hack their reader?! So you see, getting Kindle, Netflix, Skype, etc, on the PB can only entice new buyers. It certainly won't hurt.

Imagine Joe going into Best Buy and was told they both have Kindle, but the PB does so much more at the same price. Now, which one will Joe buy?
    02-27-12 10:21 AM
    We want Kindle for 3 reasons:

1. We have purchased eBooks from Amazon: those with DRM will not read on other PB apps
    2. Amazon has been promising this software to PB users since before the Fire was released
    3. Kobo Reader on OS2 has a really annoying Javascript bug that posted a dialog every turn
    02-27-12 10:34 AM
    My biggest problem with the Kobo app is that it loses my bookmarks. It either resets the book back to the start or to the end of the chapter.

Kindle it is.
    02-27-12 10:43 AM
    Kobo is to Kindle what Crackle is to Netflix. It's the poor man's Kindle. It's the nasty house burger Eddie Murphy's mom made for him instead of getting him McDonald's.

I've had no problems d/l'ing my archived books and purchasing new ones on the sideloaded Kindle app.
    02-27-12 11:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD