i was in Best Buy today just checking out the PB Accessories when i notied a guy checking out the Playbooks.
    i just watched as he played with the barely functional Playbook.
    Seeing His frustration, i offered him my experience and showed him My Playbook so he could see the features along with the Bridge using My 9860.
    Even with a finger swipe filled screen he was awed. Seriously.
    Loved the gestures (even commented he liked the fact there was no Home button)
    After we talked and played around with some of the other features he called a Best Buy Employee over and bought the 16Gb.
    The thing that caught his eye was price ($299.00)
    But after my little demo, it was the Quality and Brand Recognition (I live in Canada) that made his mind up.
    Nothing special or heroic, but just felt good to see this first hand, especially after reading some of the doom and gloom about the Playbook lately.
    Hope the upgrade brings even better things.
    10-04-11 07:12 PM
    Good job! I did something similar in Wal Mart once. The only difference was that I was giving my little lecture to both the potential customer and the sales rep, who was completely blank about the PB!
    10-04-11 07:17 PM
    Well done!!! I had a similar scene in Staples a few days ago. I was ordering another PB and while I was pondering which size, a woman came up and asked what reader to purchase. The sales clerk steered her away from the Nook and recommended the Amazon Fire. She asked if she could watch soaps on it. That's when I pulled out my Playbook, connected to Staples wifi and pulled up her beloved soap opera through the browser. Her jaw dropped. She was amazed at the clarity of the screen and all the features I showed her. The sales clerk learned a few things as well. Another sales clerk came along and I pulled up Dead Space and I let him play. He said the graphics were better than on his Xbox and now he wanted a PB.

It felt really good to show off the power of the Playbook and to teach people about it.

10-04-11 07:46 PM
    Good Job! The sweeping gestures are cool, and it is always good to have a real customer review.
    10-04-11 07:50 PM
  5. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Most who are critical of the Playbook have never actually seen one in proper use, or used one ... including most sales people!! ... those who have are mostly very impressed! ....and end up purchasing one! ... good work! ....
    10-04-11 08:19 PM
    You didn't tell him your address did you? He may come after you in a month or two.
    10-04-11 08:27 PM
    I knew that I wasn't the only lunatic doing this. I'm a retail store General Manager and I catch myself doing this on a weekly basis. Especially with the different vendor reps that i often deal with. I start off by setting up my sleek PB Convertible Case or sometimes my Dodo case, I then bridge both BB9700 & PB, open Facebook, an Excel spreadsheet, a PDF file, their company website through the browser, TSN (Canada's version of ESPN) with last night's HD highlights and cap it off with some Need for Speed. I then show them its SUPER multi-tasking capabilities by switching from screen to screen and make sure the volume is up so I can play Swedish House Mafia in the background. I think that I'm upto 4 x 32G and 6 x 16G PBs sold thus far. They've all come by the store to show off their new PBs and to thank me for making them discover the Playbook's capabilities that seriously make their work load much easier to manage.

The words I use to show it off are the words RIM came up with when releasing the PB that had me sold on it are...

Powerful, Portable, Playbook.

In a nutshell, that's exactly what the Playbook is.
    10-04-11 09:10 PM
    That's what the RIM need to add in every stores that sells PB, reps that will show to potential customer the basic functions of PB. If only people knows PB basic functionality, they'll wow and amaze on what PB is capable of. Nice one!
    10-04-11 09:23 PM
    i was in Best Buy today just checking out the PB Accessories when i notied a guy checking out the Playbooks.
    Seeing His frustration, i offered him my experience and showed him My Playbook so he could see the features along with the Bridge using My 9860.
    After we talked and played around with some of the other features he called a Best Buy Employee over and bought the 16Gb.
    But after my little demo, it was the Quality and Brand Recognition (I live in Canada) that made his mind up.
    Nothing special or heroic, but just felt good to see this first hand, especially after reading some of the doom and gloom about the Playbook lately.
    Good work my friend!
    Welcome to Crackberry you're an inspiration. Doom and gloom sucks, this kind of post is refreshing. Thanks for sharing.
    I did the same in a Best Buy store - changed him from "what a piece of junk dead playbook" to buying one and walking out with it.
    You could see and feel his attitude changing by the minute.

The sales people were embarrassed and gathered around to try to answer questions also. If they only were trained properly it would make a world of difference.

Humorously enough another guy walked by while I was demoing it and sneered "Does it have Skype" lol
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 10-04-11 at 09:31 PM.
    chiefbroski likes this.
    10-04-11 09:26 PM
    I knew that I wasn't the only lunatic doing this. I'm a retail store General Manager and I catch myself doing this on a weekly basis. Especially with the different vendor reps that i often deal with. I start off by setting up my sleek PB Convertible Case or sometimes my Dodo case, I then bridge both BB9700 & PB, open Facebook, an Excel spreadsheet, a PDF file, their company website through the browser, TSN (Canada's version of ESPN) with last night's HD highlights and cap it off with some Need for Speed. I then show them its SUPER multi-tasking capabilities by switching from screen to screen and make sure the volume is up so I can play Swedish House Mafia in the background. I think that I'm upto 4 x 32G and 6 x 16G PBs sold thus far. They've all come by the store to show off their new PBs and to thank me for making them discover the Playbook's capabilities that seriously make their work load much easier to manage.

The words I use to show it off are the words RIM came up with when releasing the PB that had me sold on it are...

Powerful, Portable, Playbook.

In a nutshell, that's exactly what the Playbook is.
    Since you have the power of management - just curious - do you have it in the rapid charger or hanging by the USB cord? Because the USB connectors eventually break with all the misuse and handling as a demo.
    dcorx and bquinney like this.
    10-04-11 09:35 PM
    Its amazing the results you can get just showing it to people updated and working. I had the opportunity to showcase my PB and 9900 at a friends place this past weekend. I know there are 4 people buying PlayBooks this week and 2 upgrading their BlackBerry's rather than getting Android or iPhone.

So to you OP I say job well done and keep educating people, its the best chance we have of getting people to accept the PlayBook.
    Disparishun and dbeir like this.
    10-04-11 09:39 PM
    These stories are pretty amazing. In a way they are also a pretty good argument for RIM stores -- somewhere where expert users and enthusiasts would show the devices as they can be, rather than sticking them in giant electronics stores where they get shoved to the bottom of the barrel. Heck, maybe folks need to begin starting up third-party stores with RIM focuses. Hey Bayotte, ever thought about starting your own storefront?
    glassofpinot likes this.
    10-04-11 09:57 PM
    Most who are critical of the Playbook have never actually seen one in proper use, or used one ... including most sales people!! ... those who have are mostly very impressed! ....and end up purchasing one! ... good work! ....
    Until it catches a big Buzz - this means that the marketing push must be directed at either Creating or Replacing that "I've got to see/touch it" experience that you mention. If it was a food, they would hire sample people to stand in the food aisles at Costco.
    Last edited by glassofpinot; 10-04-11 at 10:03 PM.
    10-04-11 10:00 PM
    Good products sells for themselves. The PlayBook is selling well by words of mouth.
    10-04-11 10:04 PM
    These stories are pretty amazing. In a way they are also a pretty good argument for RIM stores -- somewhere where expert users and enthusiasts would show the devices as they can be, rather than sticking them in giant electronics stores where they get shoved to the bottom of the barrel.
    Great point. I could like this twice. RIM stores - especially in a few key markets with high early adopter & influenzer populations - could be part of the wave (or Rimpire strikes back)
    Last edited by glassofpinot; 10-04-11 at 10:07 PM. Reason: sp
    Disparishun likes this.
    10-04-11 10:06 PM
    Well done OP! RIM should be reading this thread and take some notes!
    10-04-11 10:10 PM
    I convinced two of my friends to buy the Playbook. One week later I checked back with them to see how they think about the PlayBook. They absolutely love the PlayBook.
    Kingkracker likes this.
    10-04-11 10:47 PM
    Good products sells for themselves. The PlayBook is selling well by words of mouth.
    Good products sell if buyers are aware, informed and know the benefits. How does that happen fast enough without good marketing? Maybe word of mouth works well at the Farmers Market, but in today's huge business or consumer global markets, companies would be drained of cash & out of business before the word got around sufficiently.

RIM needs to get the message out - on point, effective, reaching the right potential users. It isn't only ads, but viral, promotions, PR, placement, etc.

I really believe that the world was done a great dis service by whomever wrote "Build a better moustrap & the world will beat a path to your door".
    (no, I don't work in advertising. I have been a buyer of advertising)
    10-05-11 12:46 AM
    Until it catches a big Buzz - this means that the marketing push must be directed at either Creating or Replacing that "I've got to see/touch it" experience that you mention. If it was a food, they would hire sample people to stand in the food aisles at Costco.
    I for one will not buy any phone or tab without seeing it/touching it. I was all set to buy the Storm, until I played with it. I was all set to buy the first Torch until I played with it and saw how laggy it was - would have been very disappointed if I ordered on line and then was faced with the decision and trouble of returning it.

When I first played with the Playbook however, I bought it on the spot and have not regretted it.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 10-05-11 at 08:15 PM.
    glassofpinot likes this.
    10-05-11 02:42 AM

I really believe that the world was done a great dis service by whomever wrote "Build a better moustrap & the world will beat a path to your door".
    It seemed to work for the first iPhone. But then I guess Apple fans were already at the door.
    10-05-11 02:44 AM
    It's good to see we are all fighting against the doom and gloom. I've been promoting the PB with my classmates. It helps me a lot that the typical iPad guys has a Newton cradle or some game in class all day while I'm taking notes with word 2 go, checking the professor's presentation with slide show 2 go, checking facebook, chatting in trillian (browser) AND sending emails with attachments that are originally stored in my phone but can be accessed and sent thru bridge
    10-05-11 12:53 PM
    It's good to see we are all fighting against the doom and gloom. I've been promoting the PB with my classmates. It helps me a lot that the typical iPad guys has a Newton cradle or some game in class all day while I'm taking notes with word 2 go, checking the professor's presentation with slide show 2 go, checking facebook, chatting in trillian (browser) AND sending emails with attachments that are originally stored in my phone but can be accessed and sent thru bridge
    The PlayBook has a Newton's Cradle app also! Just saying. (I know I own it!)
    10-05-11 01:10 PM
    Once a told a friend last week that the pb was 299 at staples he ordered within 2 days so since enjoys every minute of it. This guy is a big android user was it is cool to see him fall in love with a blackberry product. He says he is now looking into bb phone.
    10-05-11 01:51 PM
    Good for you! Glad to see the Playbook in the hands of more people. Now with the price drop, the PB looks ever more attractive for first time buyers.

Bestbuy needs to hire people like you =D
    10-05-11 02:00 PM
    Honestly, the Playbook is awesome and I'm glad you helped someone get the better device. It is so powerful, portable, easy to use and secure.
    My wife and I, and everyone we have shown it to, loves them.

My co-worker saw me doing video chat with my wife and now he has three. One for himself, one for his wife, and one for his dad.
    10-05-11 02:06 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD