OK - I know this wasn't a dream or anything and have waited to share this but now just really want to know if anyone else has seen this phenomenon???

I purchased new in box 16gb from Best Buy in late Nov. as soon as the price dropped to $199 and it worked for a day. I watched a few movies by logging into my account straight from the PB browser. Now my question and belief is that when I cleared my cache, cookies, all PLUS I think upgraded a few things like maybe flash, Adobe or whatever (this is where I'm uncertain) something changed on my PB. I had called Netflix and a tech/rep gave me a url to clear and be able to use but it never worked again. I swear he knew of the known issue but implied that it could indeed be made to work on our device.

Anyone? Thanks
    Last edited by TimmyTRocks; 01-02-12 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Spelling
    01-02-12 02:14 PM
    There is some pretty bad weed floating around.
    FF22 and BERaddict like this.
    01-02-12 03:19 PM
    Thanks toolio - that's exactly why I didn't post this earlier since it was like 5 weeks ago. I'm going to log into my Netflix account tomorrow and see if anything telling shows in my streaming history log. I just wanted to know if ANYONE has seen or heard this before???
    01-02-12 11:50 PM
    yeah...not working for me lol
    01-03-12 12:04 AM
    I was on the Netflix site a few nights ago and what ever movie I was looking at had a Play Trailer option. The preview seems to just play in flash. The Play option still went to the unsupported device page.

I don't remember ever seeing a PlayTrailer button on Netflix in the past, but I usually access it from devices other than computers. I just checked from my desktop and there seems to be a Play Trailer button now. The trailers play in flash on the desktop too.
    Last edited by robsteve; 01-04-12 at 12:56 PM.
    01-04-12 12:51 PM
    I remember back in April when the PB first came out, some folks were posting that netflix & hulu worked on the PB but then it stopped when the first or second os update came out. As far as I know, it hasn't worked since then.

Perhaps you got a unit with the original PB os, it worked as you described, then the next day you ran the software update and voil�, netflix not working.

Thats my theory. Otherwise, can you give me your weed supplier's number??? LOL!!!
    01-04-12 12:57 PM
    Hulu worked initially because it uses Flash. It was shortly after blocked by Hulu (most likely based on the PB's user agent).

Netflix doesn't use flash, it uses Silverlight - which is not compatible with the PB. OP aside, I don't see how video from the site could play on a PB without a dedicated app.
    01-04-12 01:28 PM
    Hulu worked initially because it uses Flash. It was shortly after blocked by Hulu (most likely based on the PB's user agent).

Netflix doesn't use flash, it uses Silverlight - which is not compatible with the PB. OP aside, I don't see how video from the site could play on a PB without a dedicated app.
    It is NOT solely the User Agent. There are now Browsers that can change that and still do not work. The site is using some other aspect of the pb's id to filter us out.
    01-04-12 02:59 PM
    Hmmmmm???? Trust me Netflix worked on mine but the update(s) changed that.

No weed....lol

I hope all these limitations are a thing of the past in 4-5 weeks!

I have a great device with slick hardware for once but it's only real use is for web browsing, games and limited media......
    01-04-12 07:01 PM
    Hmmmmm???? Trust me Netflix worked on mine but the update(s) changed that.

No weed....lol

I hope all these limitations are a thing of the past in 4-5 weeks!

I have a great device with slick hardware for once but it's only real use is for web browsing, games and limited media......
    Fyi,

Netflix did work for me the first time I used it as well on my PlayBook.

Also, for those interested, Hulu checks the User Agent of Flash (not the User Agent of the Browser). The Flash User Agent reports that it is the PlayBook. The only way to fix this is to root your device and change the Flash settings

Ed.
    01-04-12 09:42 PM
    Fyi,

Also, for those interested, Hulu checks the User Agent of Flash (not the User Agent of the Browser). The Flash User Agent reports that it is the PlayBook. The only way to fix this is to root your device and change the Flash settings

Ed.
    really? So PB screws itself by being honest? lol

I thought netflix required silverlight how does that work?
    01-04-12 09:47 PM
    Fyi,

Ed.
    This makes sense, as rooted Android devices have to use "Hulufied" versions of flash to run.
    01-04-12 10:11 PM
    I still think there must be an easy way to get Netflix to work again.....too bad I know nothing about rooting a device and code. Alternate configured browser? Like a side loaded thing?? Not even sure that makes sense...haha Well at least now I know I wasn't dreaming. I even recall being stoked it worked because once I realized GoToMyPc didn't I almost returned it.

Speaking of which - whats the best, easiest, cheapest way to access my home PC/server remotely??
    mdjcstan likes this.
    01-05-12 02:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD