Home CrackBerry Q&A > BlackBerry PlayBook

I can't get past my Wifi Setup on my Blackberry Playbook

Asked: Jul 07 2019 | 11:55 am EDT 589 Views 21 Answers

I have had a PB for a while and suddenly the Wifi stopped connecting, I have had reset it to the factory setting now I can't get bast the Wifi setup option. Can someone help me with some direction to get past this point?

Note:
I have also gone via the Desktop Manager setup and it won't allow me to go any further without completion of the setup.

More Answers

Jul 07 2019 | 1:30 pm EDT spARTacus

I have had a PB for a while and suddenly the Wifi stopped connecting, I have had reset it to the factory setting now I can't get bast the Wifi setup option. Can someone help me with some direction to get past this point?

Note:
I have also gone via the Desktop Manager setup and it won't allow me to go any further without completion of the setup.
Can you provide a few more details? Does it just not connect at all or does it complain about something? Other devices still connecting fine to the same wifi?

Posted via CB10 on Z10
Jul 07 2019 | 2:06 pm EDT Milinda Akindele

It doesn't connect at all and I have all my devices connected to the same Wifi without any issues at all. It isn't given any error at all and I have tried setting it up via the manual connection route with nothing happening at all.
Jul 07 2019 | 6:42 pm EDT spARTacus

So it just spins and waits and does nothing at a certain stage of attempting to connect? No time out or failure or failed to connect? Maybe something has gone wrong with the wifi radio on the phone.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
Jul 07 2019 | 6:57 pm EDT brookie229

It doesn't connect at all and I have all my devices connected to the same Wifi without any issues at all. It isn't given any error at all and I have tried setting it up via the manual connection route with nothing happening at all.
Go into the wifi settings and totally remove ALL saved wifi networks, put the device on airplane setting and reboot. Then turn the wifi back on and when it finds your network try logging in again.

edit: oh dear, I guess I should read the entire thread! Looks like you cannot setup so you won't be able to delete networks-duh. My apologies.
Jul 07 2019 | 7:13 pm EDT Milinda Akindele

So it just spins and waits and does nothing at a certain stage of attempting to connect? No time out or failure or failed to connect? Maybe something has gone wrong with the wifi radio on the phone.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
Yes its just spinning, no time out, or failure or failed connection, is there anyway to fix the Wifi Radio on the Playbook. Please kindly advise. Thanks.
Jul 07 2019 | 8:35 pm EDT brookie229

Yes its just spinning, no time out, or failure or failed connection, is there anyway to fix the Wifi Radio on the Playbook. Please kindly advise. Thanks.
This may sound weird, but try connecting to another wifi network to finish setup. Perhaps a coffee shop or some other hotspot.
Jul 08 2019 | 12:12 pm EDT Milinda Akindele

Hello, I have tried connecting to another Wifi but now luck was wondering if there is any other way to go around this issue to setup. Currently still no luck. Would appreciate any alternative solution anyone might have. Thanks.
Jul 08 2019 | 1:52 pm EDT brookie229

Hello, I have tried connecting to another Wifi but now luck was wondering if there is any other way to go around this issue to setup. Currently still no luck. Would appreciate any alternative solution anyone might have. Thanks.
It's been so long since I've had anything to do with a setup but does it give you the option to do a Wi-Fi Protected Setup? In other words, to tap the WPS button on the router instead of setting up or connecting manually. Maybe you have already tried this?

Posted via CB10
Jul 08 2019 | 2:03 pm EDT brookie229

See if you can get anything from here: https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...aybook-823807/

Other than this, you may have defective hardware. Sorry, that's about all I've got other than trying the autoloader again in case you had a bad install the first time.
Jul 08 2019 | 2:07 pm EDT Dunt Dunt Dunt

Note:
For a short time I might remove all security from your wifi or create an open guest account and see if it will connect. Does it even show you a list of available networks?

When it suddenly stopped working... were there any other changes? Might just be that the PlayBook had a hardware failure.

Only other taught is do you have the latest OS? Some of the earlier ones had WiFi issues, but at this point I'd assume you were using the latest already.
Jul 09 2019 | 10:14 am EDT DOCTOREVIL8

Whenever I had to wipe and restart the playbook, it would hang at the update screen. The trick was to wait at the internet connection screen for a few minutes before advancing to the update screen. For some reason, the length of time to connect to the Wi-Fi took a long time (in the background). After a 5 minute wait (after connecting to the internet), the update worked.
Jul 09 2019 | 12:53 pm EDT Milinda Akindele

I have updated the OS to the latest OS for my Playbook and still when I get to the page of detecting the Wifi to finish setup nothing show up at all. I dont know if the hardware is failing as am not sure how to check if it is or not. I was wondering if it is possible to bypass the Wifi setup and move to the next stage of setup or should I try and load an old OS if its available.
Jul 09 2019 | 2:13 pm EDT Dunt Dunt Dunt

I have updated the OS to the latest OS for my Playbook and still when I get to the page of detecting the Wifi to finish setup nothing show up at all. I dont know if the hardware is failing as am not sure how to check if it is or not. I was wondering if it is possible to bypass the Wifi setup and move to the next stage of setup or should I try and load an old OS if its available.
So no networks show up at all? Or you just can't connect too them?

If you phone show a bunch of networks, but the PlayBook shows none... I'd say it's the hardware. Reload the OS and hope it was just a bad load of the software, but it could just be the hardware.

You see the network but can't connect... again make one open. Try a hotspot from your phone.

Sadly I don't know of a way to bypass it... think it's party of the security setup.
Jul 09 2019 | 6:38 pm EDT Milinda Akindele

I will try to reload the OS again and maybe just maybe it will work but I have a feeling it might be the OS as before I reset it, I could jump on my BP and see all my apps and contents but just couldnt get to use Wifi to engage with the internet. I will try again and hopefully it works but if it doesnt, is there any other way to solve the hardware matter if that is the problem.

Thanks and looking forward to your response.
Jul 10 2019 | 7:10 am EDT Dunt Dunt Dunt

You could open the PlayBook and check the antenna leads... but the module is on the mainboard, just not practical to replace.... thus it's not a part you'll find.

PlayBook is a pretty tough device... after the USB port the WiFi module does seem to be one area that causes problems for users.

Sorry but if reloading the OS doesn't work... you'll need to buy a new tablet.
Jul 10 2019 | 12:28 pm EDT Milinda Akindele

Thanks the reloading didn't work and I believe it is the antenna leads that is causing the issue. If there is a walk through for this I wouldn't mind getting the help needed. If not I will have to toss this PlayBook which I really do not want to do at all. Await your help and feedback.

Thanks and appreciate the continuous help
Jul 10 2019 | 12:46 pm EDT brookie229

Thanks the reloading didn't work and I believe it is the antenna leads that is causing the issue. If there is a walk through for this I wouldn't mind getting the help needed. If not I will have to toss this PlayBook which I really do not want to do at all. Await your help and feedback.

IMHO it's not worth taking apart unless you cannot afford to get a new tablet. I think it's ready for the RECYCLE bin.
Jul 10 2019 | 3:00 pm EDT Dunt Dunt Dunt

You can search YouTube... use to be a number of tear down videos.
Jul 12 2019 | 12:06 pm EDT Milinda Akindele

Thanks will check out YouTube, am just to attached to this PlayBook and really don't want to just kill it off as of yet. Will keep you posted if anything changes. Thanks.
Jul 29 2019 | 12:57 pm EDT ksennette

Will it still be possible to activate a security wiped playbook after 12/31/19?
Jul 29 2019 | 1:06 pm EDT brookie229

Will it still be possible to activate a security wiped playbook after 12/31/19?
No one can give you an answer to that question with certainty. Yet, anyway. Just not enough info.