Thanks, I was begining to think that might be the case, which is fine for existing regular PlayBook users, but there woukd appear to be no point now in anyone buying a used, second hand (or even new!) PlayBook, or even passing theirs on to another person with a different BlackBerry ID, as they would all end up with a device which is virtually useless, as it can no longer connect to "the internet", or do anything else at all really... what a shame!
    The BB security is a plus when OS and hardware is actively developed. Like any security feature, it’s just doing it’s job which becomes a negative with EOL status. Think of all the BBOS hardware that’s similarly bricked at the end of 2019 when other systems EOL officially.
    09-01-19 10:13 AM
    So, is there no hope for the 132353 code?? If so I agree with Mantala, a shame that these devices are dead in the water..
    09-01-19 01:01 PM
    So, is there no hope for the 132353 code?? If so I agree with Mantala, a shame that these devices are dead in the water..
    Well, it's slim, because as others so deftly and frequently point out, it's an eol device. But John fixed a recent issue before, so you never know, but don't put all eggs in that basket.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-19 04:50 PM
    Well, it's slim, because as others so deftly and frequently point out, it's an eol device. But John fixed a recent issue before, so you never know, but don't put all eggs in that basket.

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately there’s been no reply this go around from BlackBerry personnel..
    09-01-19 06:09 PM
    Unfortunately there’s been no reply this go around from BlackBerry personnel..
    Looking like the PlayBook didn't make the cut of supported devices....
    SeeBeeEss likes this.
    09-04-19 11:44 AM
    Is this really the end then?
    09-05-19 04:38 PM
    Is this really the end then?
    Didn't it eol in 2018? Perhaps BB10 is keeping the crew busy
    09-05-19 04:49 PM
    Didn't it eol in 2018? Perhaps BB10 is keeping the crew busy
    It's not eol until they stop plugging the server back in after someone trips over the extension cord. Unless they stole the cord to use for the BB10 activation server that is. You could be right!
    09-05-19 05:04 PM
    It's not eol until they stop plugging the server back in after someone trips over the extension cord. Unless they stole the cord to use for the BB10 activation server that is. You could be right!
    LOL - five months ago we reminded people it was EOL already but the BlackBerry employee stepped in. Also happened with BB10 as I see you're aware.

I suspect your stolen cord assertion could be correct as I'm not expecting the BlackBerry employee to reply at this point.

That or he joined Apple or Google last week.
    09-05-19 05:30 PM
    LOL - five months ago we reminded people it was EOL already but the BlackBerry employee stepped in. Also happened with BB10 as I see you're aware.

I suspect your stolen cord assertion could be correct as I'm not expecting the BlackBerry employee to reply at this point.

That or he joined Apple or Google last week.
    Apple or Google? Bite your tongue! They probably brought him upstairs to work on the Android Q update for the Key2.
    09-05-19 09:20 PM
    I still have two PlayBooks... was planning on wiping them and setting them up fresh before BBW shutdown at the end of the year. Looks like I waited too long.

I'll keep watching to see if @JohnAtBlackBerry has anything official to share... maybe I've still got time.
    09-06-19 09:55 AM
    I have the same problem. I hope they give us a chance. I understand EOL but the things still work once activated. Seems a shame to chuck then in the bin @JohnAtBlackBerry
    09-06-19 10:39 AM
    I still have two PlayBooks... was planning on wiping them and setting them up fresh before BBW shutdown at the end of the year. Looks like I waited too long.
    I hope that you do eventually manage to update them, but unfortunately it is looking more and more likely as if BlackBerry have indeed finally "pulled the plug" on the Playbook, and that any 'new' users will not now be able to initialise, or update theirs, and even existing users will not even have the opportunity to to a complete refresh or re-intall of the OS.

On a personal note, I have now returned mine for a full refund, and will be picking up a new iPad Mini on Monday morning. Yes, it did cost me quite a bit more, but it would have been rude not to have taken advantage of the two year interest free credit terms and 3 year guarantee currently being offered by John Lewis!
    Last edited by Montala; 09-06-19 at 10:46 AM. Reason: typo!
    09-06-19 10:43 AM
    Hi folks! Thanks for reaching out. We're aware about the situation with PlayBook, and will schedule time for a team to investigate. I don't have an ETA to share and can't promise any particular outcome until the team has had a chance to deep dive into the services. I *can* promise to drop back in with an update when we know more. Thanks for your dedication and passion!
    09-06-19 10:46 AM
    I hope that you do eventually manage to update them, but unfortunately it is looking more and more likely as if BlackBerry have indeed finally "pulled the plug" on the Playbook, and that any 'new' users will not now be able to initialise, or update theirs, and even existing users will not even have the opportunity to to a complete refresh or re-intall of the OS.

On a personal note, I have now returned mine for a full refund, and will be picking up a new iPad Mini on Monday morning. Yes, it did cost me quite a bit more, but it would have been rude not to have taken advantage of the two year interest free credit terms and 3 year waranty currently being offered by John Lewis!
    In the end you'll be happier.... A general use tablet really needs an ecosystem.
    09-06-19 10:54 AM
    Hi folks! Thanks for reaching out. We're aware about the situation with PlayBook, and will schedule time for a team to investigate. I don't have an ETA to share and can't promise any particular outcome until the team has had a chance to deep dive into the services. I *can* promise to drop back in with an update when we know more. Thanks for your dedication and passion!
    Thanks for letting us know you are looking into it....
    09-06-19 10:55 AM
    Thank you, John! We small sect of users really appreciate it! I also get a little satisfaction given all the "it's eol/let it go" stuff prior to your post and kind offer to help.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-19 12:50 PM
    Thank you, John! We small sect of users really appreciate it! I also get a little satisfaction given all the "it's eol/let it go" stuff prior to your post and kind offer to help.

Posted via CB10
    What satisfaction? The hardware is EOL and it's just factual. Last time something happened, the response was quicker. People sat around here 5 days without any official BlackBerry response.

I posted the official page and definitions from BlackBerry site when absolutely nobody from BlackBerry employees or CrackBerry volunteers even answered or acknowledged the problem. I'm not sure why it was ignored. Still yet, after multiple additional complaints, there was zero response for another week until today.

Better yet, today's response was like breakup where one party thought other party should have understood the silence. The response sounds like a gentle, we can still be friends, if you'd like. Just don't violate the restraining order.

If you'll notice, I refrained from grave dancing for several days while actually sending a message for help. I don't recall seeing any of the old BlackBerry various OS brigade offering suggestions. Going forward, I'll just be me and do my usual jig. Since it's EOL going back last year, it's ok to let it go. The couple of users that bought new/used PlayBooks and returned made a good decision. The one that didn't or aren't sure probably should return them while you can. No reason to waste your money on the old BlackBerry stuff that gone EOL or going EOL soon. Eventually, support is dropped. Shocking, I know. Just check the link earlier in thread. It's BlackBerry official and everything beyond that is, unknown and that's why it's disclosed that way.
    Montala likes this.
    09-06-19 04:19 PM
    That is awesome and greatly appreciated! Good luck.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    09-06-19 05:01 PM
    Thanks John
    09-07-19 07:08 AM
    :-)

Posted via CB10
    09-07-19 03:38 PM
    No one expects miracles, but I really do love my PB and will be thrilled if the basic services required to keep it functional can be restored. Thanks to the whole BlackBerry support team for caring enough to look into this!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    09-07-19 04:52 PM
    No one expects miracles, but I really do love my PB and will be thrilled if the basic services required to keep it functional can be restored. Thanks to the whole BlackBerry support team for caring enough to look into this!

Would be nice if they could do one final OS update to remove the server requirement.

Then it's mostly a brick until you sideload the apps. But that's how I roll.
    09-08-19 12:05 PM
    Would be nice if they could do one final OS update to remove the server requirement.

Then it's mostly a brick until you sideload the apps. But that's how I roll.
    Honestly, that would be great, both for the PlayBook and, when the time comes, for BB10 phones. Once the BBID isn't being validated and doesn't offer any functionality, it would be great to remove it altogether!

09-08-19 12:31 PM
    from italy , same issue... after lost password, i am obliged to reset the device, after i reinstall with "PlayBook_2.1.0.1917_R1315 " i find ovwer internet , but finally error activation 132353 ... i can't try another wifi connection , i can only switch off or retry ... help ????

thansk in advance , Stefano
    09-08-19 02:08 PM
222 12345 ...