I purchased a 64G playbook hoping I could eventually use it on my travels and communicate via Skype.
    If that was your hope then what is your complaint?
    You hoped to eventually use Skype on the Playbook and some day you may. Doubtful but there is hope.

I understand assuming that a tablet from any manufacturer would have the ability to run Skype. What I don't understand is why didn't you return it immediately upon discovering that it wouldn't?
    I bought a TV thinking (assuming) that it would play video from a USB drive. When I discovered that it would only play music and photos and not video I returned it and bought one that would.
    08-03-12 07:21 AM
    I purchased a 64G playbook hoping I could eventually use it on my travels and communicate via Skype. Rim spent a lot of time designing a machine than turned it into a play station.

Games might be great but there are all kind of machines right now that will do that for you. This was supposed to be a business machine and if you look at what is being advertised as far as apps are concerned, it's competing with Ipad for HD games.

Guess it's going to be the old Acer netbook as a travelling tool. It's an old machine but right now Playbook can't touch it.
    Rim should be proud to have Playbook compared to the most successful game console of all times

Now seriously I think you are over reacting. there are many good productivity apps on Playbook. Many are not available in the app store and need to be sideloaded and work great with Playbook. It is obvious that Microsoft does not want Skype on another competition tablet ( I would bet that Android and Ios versions do not get frequent if any updates at all since MS took over at skype) as to Netflix or Hulu I am not suee why they do not want to support PB. it would make sense for them to support as many platforms as possible so something else needs to be going on
    Sent from my BlackBerry Playbook using Tapatalk 2
    08-03-12 07:31 AM
    Research, research, research and research before you buy. I got a Nexus 7 but knew that the Chrome browser wouldn't support flash before hand. So now I won't complaint about it.
    Some minority, yes. Get real, average consumer won't be spending that much time and effort in researching products.

What draws people into RIM's product is the perceived quality. You come to expect certain things, basic things really, be accomplished with a product from RIM. After all, they announced that PB can run most Android apps, but won't tell you about what you can install, and what won't work, until you ask, if you can find someone who can answer your questions (crackberry excluded).

As for flash, that's slowly going away with lack of supported mobile platforms now. You can still complain about it, but no one can do anything about it.
    08-03-12 08:52 AM
    It's because Skype has the market share. Like it or not it is the most popular system being used. Makes a lot of sense for RIM not to implement the most popular chatting system doesn't it...

I'm glad to hear voices of reason.

This is exactly my point. Platforms that offer the most popular features make the most sales. . And we all want that right? I mean to say, the more revenue RIM makes from sales, the more it has available to spend on research and development and then better features trickle down to me and you, John Q. Consumer.

Skype is the most widely used videochatting platform... Kindle is the largest ebook seller.... And so forth. You draw in more sales by offering the most sought after features and/or products. Its the way business works.

Research, research, research and research before you buy. I got a Nexus 7 but knew that the Chrome browser wouldn't support flash before hand. So now I won't complaint about it.
    I wish I could find the post I made months ago that addressed this. researching a product includes assembling information given by the manufacturer; the consumer is helpless if they cannot rely on what he or she is told. Out of the gate, launch day, RIM disappointed so many people with what they announced that Crackberry Kevin himself in a podcast humorously labeled 2011 "the year of broken promises". When so many people scream "do your research!" They need to consider that most research on this product can be done only on faulty "data".
    Last edited by kb5zht; 08-03-12 at 09:14 AM.
    08-03-12 09:05 AM
    We all know that to be a true "business tablet", it needs an app to be able to call my family and friends for free...
    Oh yeas of course. It's a business machine but the most often talked about items coming out of RIM are games... How you explain that? You might try to use a little more intelligence and realize that many people communicate via conference calls instead of assuming it's to call home.
    08-03-12 04:43 PM
    Ok, now I've heard it all from the prophet - RIM will be trash because PB cannot "skype".
    we all shall fall over ourselfes to consider lowering levels back down to Acer.

or am I reading it wrong - maybe its subtle irony?

meant to point out the absurdity of a lot of complaints if one (1) app is not running -
    if so, brilliant job OP!

Damian
    If they are not going under they sure are doing a pretty good imitation of it right now... It's not just skype that has me wondering. They seem to spend all their time growing the games store. Not what is needed in a high end business machine.
    08-03-12 04:49 PM
    Oh yeas of course. It's a business machine but the most often talked about items coming out of RIM are games... How you explain that? You might try to use a little more intelligence and realize that many people communicate via conference calls instead of assuming it's to call home.
    And you may have wanted to use a little intelligence buying a tablet that doesn't do what you want it too do.

I dont understand why people buy something for what it could potentially do instead of what it actually does. And then decide to complain that it doesn't do what they want. Are they just generally miserable, not happy unless they can be upset about something.

Simply put, you bought a product that didn't have the features you wanted out of the box because somewhere you gleaned that it will have said feature and your upset because its not there yet (BTW its not up to RIM to get Skype on the PlayBook, its MS. RIM can try to cut as many deals as they want but its ultimately up too the DEV of the APP) Get mad at RIM for your ignorance if you want but it was an easily avoidable situation, buy an Android or Apple tablet instead. Maybe instead of pissing and moaning here you could trade it up for something that does what you want.
    08-03-12 05:07 PM
    Get mad at RIM for your ignorance if you want but it was an easily avoidable situation, buy an Android or Apple tablet instead.
    Again... the initial images of the playbook sported images of a skype icon on the homescreen. The consumer seeing this has every right to believe that skype was actually included on the device. Therefore, a consumer seeing a skype icon on the playbook images, and wanting skype, is completely justified in buying the tablet and expecting that feature.
    08-03-12 06:21 PM
    I purchased a 64G playbook hoping I could eventually use it on my travels and communicate via Skype. Rim spent a lot of time designing a machine than turned it into a play station.

Games might be great but there are all kind of machines right now that will do that for you. This was supposed to be a business machine and if you look at what is being advertised as far as apps are concerned, it's competing with Ipad for HD games.

Guess it's going to be the old Acer netbook as a travelling tool. It's an old machine but right now Playbook can't touch it.
    Wow way too much negativity on this site! If you don't like Rims products then please don't buy them but all the negativity is not helping things out here. I can understand your frustration but people are here to help not listen to people complain all the time.
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    08-03-12 06:45 PM
    Wow way too much negativity on this site! If you don't like Rims products then please don't buy them but all the negativity is not helping things out here. I can understand your frustration but people are here to help not listen to people complain all the time.
    So I bought the machine because it was supposed to be a business machine and was supposed to be supported with all kinds of great business apps. What was supposed to be available shortly didn't show up for many months and tyhen not at all like advertised. Say what you want this thing is an Ipad wantobe and nothing more. Even failed being that. What they promised at their store to entice people to buy it was just short of fraud. When I went and complained about it I was promised all the shortfalls would be addressed. Then it was the sorry it's passed the return time.

No, you don't understand my frustration.....
    08-04-12 04:48 PM
85 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD