I think you missed the part where the OP clearly states that he got the Playbook for Skype...... Do you not see a problem there? Even the most simplest person would ask the salesman at the store if the Playbook has Skype. How does one not do a simple Google search for "Skype for Playbook". The end result would have saved him a few hundred and lots of time. ✊

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Even more if OP's required to have Skype for business, if his company had any insight, they'd require all their employees to have a PB and use PB video / talk for an even better and more consistent than Skype operation.
    08-01-12 06:08 AM
    Outlook.com that used to be hotmail is supposed to have skype built in, i havent really researched it but i suppose this may be a possibility.
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-01-12 06:20 AM
    Outlook.com that used to be hotmail is supposed to have skype built in, i havent really researched it but i suppose this may be a possibility.
    They tested it with 2.1 Beta ; (Native) browser, Simplebrowser, Simplebrowser+ all crash on launch
    08-01-12 06:50 AM
    They tested it with 2.1 Beta ; (Native) browser, Simplebrowser, Simplebrowser+ all crash on launch
    well boo....
    08-01-12 06:58 AM
    2. There is a post today on CrackBerry about how Skype SUCKS for Android.
    My copy of skype on my phone and tablet are both great, I use them several times a week.
    so why does it SUCK? seems more than capable to me.

Jeff
    08-01-12 07:04 AM
    2. There is a post today on CrackBerry about how Skype SUCKS for Android.
    ... and it had one of the most hilarious premises: "hey y'all! We may be missing a leg, but even though they have two legs, look! They are missing a shoe! Ha!"

If Skype truly is a decision maker/breaker in the smartphone/tablet battle (and I concede that point can be argued), you can't win with that approach.

Customer: Do you have Skype?
    RIM salesperson: No, but Skype on other platforms sucks. You can't check VM.
    Customer: Alrighty then.
    08-01-12 07:11 AM
    My copy of skype on my phone and tablet are both great, I use them several times a week.
    so why does it SUCK? seems more than capable to me.

Jeff
    If I recall, the thread in question presumed Skype on Android to be terrible because it didn't support bluetooth and one cannot check voice mail directly from within the app.

All valid concerns, but NOT what the average consumer who supposedly craves Skype seems to need... LOL. Plus, I am sure RIM would love said crippled software as-is if it could get its hands on it.
    coolaide likes this.
    08-01-12 07:16 AM
    I didn't think it was the average consumer that needs skype. I thought it is essential to business because that is the only video conferencing software that every business under the sun uses? Except for where I work of course.
    08-01-12 07:30 AM
    RIM built the Playbook. Developers provide the apps.

I am more disappointed in major developers deciding to focus on Android/Apple and dropping their support for BB (see my rant thread about PocketInformant )

I was initially disappointed in the lack of apps/quality apps available, but one of the CrackBerry team put it succinctly back in an old blog post that with the economy the way it [was] people aren't spending money on apps or developing apps. Understandable. So start sideloading Android Marketplace apps. Can't do that on iPad.
    08-01-12 07:44 AM
    I AM SO TIRED OF THESE THREADS!!!!!!! >.<

RIM is NOT going under.... AT THE WORST they may pull out of the consumer smart phone market, but they still have their enterprise division which probably makes up for more of the revenue ANYWAY!!

Hating on RIM just makes things worse for them... they definitely need to step it up but they need the support of the BB faithful to help perpetuate their growth. That means instead of saying "RIM SUCKS" every time they make a bad decision, we try to help them NOT make further bad decisions by giving them overwhelming support when they make a good one!
    Last edited by fragment137; 08-01-12 at 10:05 AM.
    08-01-12 09:38 AM
    ... and it had one of the most hilarious premises: "hey y'all! We may be missing a leg, but even though they have two legs, look! They are missing a shoe! Ha!"

If Skype truly is a decision maker/breaker in the smartphone/tablet battle (and I concede that point can be argued), you can't win with that approach.

Customer: Do you have Skype?
    RIM salesperson: No, but Skype on other platforms sucks. You can't check VM.
    Customer: Alrighty then.
    That's been kinda my point. First rule of business is that the customer is always right. No business ever succeeded by telling the customers that what they wanted was wrong. The customers simply move on with their cash and buy what they want from those who will sell it to them. The salesperson at the competition may even dislike feature X but u know what? They get the business and the customer gets what he wants.

Regadless if skype sucks and kindle is for idiots, the platforms that are offering them are burying thr playbook in terms of sales.
    08-01-12 10:17 AM
    That's been kinda my point. First rule of business is that the customer is always right. No business ever succeeded by telling the customers that what they wanted was wrong. The customers simply move on with their cash and buy what they want from those who will sell it to them. The salesperson at the competition may even dislike feature X but u know what? They get the business and the customer gets what he wants.

Regadless if skype sucks and kindle is for idiots, the platforms that are offering them are burying thr playbook in terms of sales.
    Doesn't apple limit things you can do? I'd say they have done well telling users, no you can't do that or you're holding it wrong here have a bumper you never wanted to stick on your phone to make it ugly.
    08-01-12 10:25 AM
    Doesn't apple limit things you can do? I'd say they have done well telling users, no you can't do that or you're holding it wrong here have a bumper you never wanted to stick on your phone to make it ugly.
    You are correct but apple has name brand recognition plus an untoucheable app store in terms of volume.

I want the playbook to succeed but in order to do so it has to beat the competition in some sector. Currently, it does not... Not in terms of apps or native features, and... Well... For the last few years the last thing it has established is name brand recognition.

RIM needs to understand this AND execute. "Coming soon" is killing them when the tablet next to it on the store shelf has it now.
    GreenCopperz likes this.
    08-01-12 10:29 AM
    I'll agree with that. Just had to mention about "no business". I guess it's a matter of do I want this even thought they tell me I can't do what I want to or is having "this" enough to say I guess I don't need to do the other things you won't let me.
    08-01-12 10:35 AM
    RIM needs to understand this AND execute. "Coming soon" is killing them when the tablet next to it on the store shelf has it now.
    After a while "coming soon" becomes meaningless as evidenced by the growing dissatisfaction by BlackBerry users, BlackBerry supporters, and even their detractors. We have heard nothing except "coming soon" since the original announcement that RIM was going to release a tablet. So for at least 3 years we have been told "coming soon."
    Blacklatino likes this.
    08-01-12 10:37 AM
    Another so called user who failed to do his homework!
    08-01-12 10:41 AM
    Let's not brush aside the fact that during this time that the PB was coming out, that Skype was in discussions with MS about being acquired and then did. To blame it all on RIM may not be appropriate without knowing the full details, of which we have few.
    08-01-12 03:58 PM
    First of.. Why is there no alternative to Skype? No other cross platform video chat? Wait there is, AOL AV, but guess what, it doesn't work on the iPad so I guess it doesn't count as multi-platform.

What about ReelPortal? I believe it has an app for the PlayBook and for iOS.

I personally feel that all this Skype chatter should be done away it.. it's really misleading making it seem as though it's not possible to Video chat via PlayBook.. No wonder RIM does not feel the same way about bringing Skype and shelling out million $$s.. Just not worth it.. I doubt if it's even going to affect the sales.

They have Native Video chat.. and with the introduction of OS10, BB Video chat will be integrated to BBM.. Who cares about Skype? There's no privacy, no security, none of the BBM PIM integration and most of all, it will never be native..

IMO it's too late now in the game to cry for Skype.
    08-01-12 11:40 PM
    It's because Skype has the market share. Like it or not it is the most popular system being used. Makes a lot of sense for RIM not to implement the most popular chatting system doesn't it...
    08-01-12 11:43 PM
    Let's not brush aside the fact that during this time that the PB was coming out, that Skype was in discussions with MS about being acquired and then did. To blame it all on RIM may not be appropriate without knowing the full details, of which we have few.
    Investing million $$ in Skype or investing in 'FREE' alpha devices for developers? I guess RIM has already provided us with their clear views on development.

MS has invested a large sum in Skype and now they obviously want their money back (or maybe not).. but why should RIM go out of their way and try refilling MS pockets?

Let Apple help MS out here.. They boast about Skype, but I doubt it if it can do any wonders.. If an HTML5 version of Skype is in the works.. RIM will play along.. otherwise they have their own systems, which is a closed circuit.. 70 million users.. They want to connect those with each other.. It's good.. all business people and like minded people in 1 portal.

And don't forget.. It's going to be a win for RIM. PlayBook 4G will give a boost to RIM and carrier relations.. Sadly you will have to double your BIS plan but good for the carriers.. You use every data from RIM NOC, the carrier just needs to act as a gateway, no load on their service.. and mint some money.. What's going to happen with Apple and Android, once video chat/calling goes mainstream? They are going to have a hard time with their carriers..

I might be a little off here.. but I remember reading RIM NOC data gets high compression rate of around 1:8.. This is going to be the key to success here..

I can see BIS plans emerge like BIS+2GB video calling data pack (150 hours monthly video calling).. Guys don't be so short sighted.. Skype and video calling is just not about running some app that can access your camera and mic.. There's stuff beyond that..
    Last edited by varunsain; 08-01-12 at 11:58 PM.
    08-01-12 11:53 PM
    It's because Skype has the market share. Like it or not it is the most popular system being used. Makes a lot of sense for RIM not to implement the most popular chatting system doesn't it...
    Windows is the most popular OS being used.. Has the highest market share.. Should make a lot of sense for every OS manufacturer to support everything Windows right?
    08-01-12 11:54 PM
    Investing million $$ in Skype or investing in 'FREE' alpha devices for developers? I guess RIM has already provided us with their clear views on development.

MS has invested a large sum in Skype and now they obviously want their money back (or maybe not).. but why should RIM go out of their way and try refilling MS pockets?

Let Apple help MS out here.. They boast about Skype, but I doubt it if it can do any wonders.. If an HTML5 version of Skype is in the works.. RIM will play along.. otherwise they have their own systems, which is a closed circuit.. 70 million users.. They want to connect those with each other.. It's good.. all business people and like minded people in 1 portal.

And don't forget.. It's going to be a win for RIM. PlayBook 4G will give a boost to RIM and carrier relations.. Sadly you will have to double your BIS plan but good for the carriers.. You use every data from RIM NOC, the carrier just needs to act as a gateway, no load on their service.. and mint some money.. What's going to happen with Apple and Android, once video chat/calling goes mainstream? They are going to have a hard time with their carriers..

I might be a little off here.. but I remember reading RIM NOC data gets high compression rate of around 1:8.. This is going to be the key to success here..

I can see BIS plans emerge like BIS+2GB video calling data pack (150 hours monthly video calling).. Guys don't be so short sighted.. Skype and video calling is just not about running some app that can access your camera and mic.. There's stuff beyond that..
    HTML5, HTML5, HTML5, HTML5

Will HTML5 be great... YES of course a web-based app that can be accessed from any browser on any device - it will do away with platforms (so not sure how many platforms will welcome it)!

Will all the apps that users want now be available in an HTML5 format when BB10 is release... NO! So does RIM need to work with MAJOR Developers (not some guy trying to make a new calculator app) today... IF THEY WANT TO SALES, THEY HAD BETTER BE! They can not just expect big companies to make apps for their devices anymore, they need to be proactive about talking to MS about Skype, to Amazon about Kindle and Prime Services, to Netflix.. Direct TV... Comcast... Time Warner... major Banks...
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 08-02-12 at 11:33 AM.
    rcm1301 likes this.
    08-02-12 09:13 AM
    08-02-12 11:03 AM
    Remind me not to take your class if you ever teach marketing, business administration, or, for that matter, logic.

I have no interest in connecting with someone via PB video chat just because they own a PB. And I don't know a single business person or professional with a PlayBook. (Actually, I don't know anyone with a PlayBook.) On the other hand, the number of professional I know who have an iPad are legion.
    08-02-12 11:55 AM
    Remind me not to take your class if you ever teach marketing, business administration, or, for that matter, logic.

I have no interest in connecting with someone via PB video chat just because they own a PB. And I don't know a single business person or professional with a PlayBook. (Actually, I don't know anyone with a PlayBook.) On the other hand, the number of professional I know who have an iPad are legion.

I'm a business person with a PB. I would take it with me on trips if it had Skype. Instead I take my Galaxy 10.1. OK I admit I persuaded a colleague to buy a PB too - he now uses an iPad. When we call each other online? Yep - Skype!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-02-12 03:51 PM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD