Another ignorant consumer not doing his/her research! (Almost wanted to say "st*pid", but afraid it would get me flagged)
    Lol - don't try id*ot either, even when talking about yourself (like I did).
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-31-12 12:44 PM
    Why would anyone research if Skype is available on a device with a front facing camera? Every other device with a front facing camera has Skype as a choice of software. Your comment is kinda bs. Now a days it would be assumed most devices have major apps. I'm not blaming RIM entirely, but they are at fault just as must as Microsoft not making the app available.
    The front facing camera is for video chattin' with other PB users. Making an assumption would be unwise. Instead, let's put a positive twist to this. The calender/contacts app on the PB is pretty strong as per a CB review. You might want to look that review up here:

iPad 2 vs. PlayBook 2.0: Tablet Smack Down! | CrackBerry.com

The PB is pretty good in itself, I'm actually jealous of all those who use it.

CB peeps, any idea how good a voip app would be if side loaded from droid?

Peace man
    Puddin13 likes this.
    07-31-12 12:47 PM
    I purchased a 64G playbook hoping I could eventually use it on my travels and communicate via Skype. Rim spent a lot of time designing a machine than turned it into a play station.
    Maybe you should have googled the skype thing before buying.
    Puddin13 likes this.
    07-31-12 12:50 PM
    Some of you have short memories. In the beginning, the media didn't bury RIM for not having apps. They understood it was a new OS/platform and would need time to mature. RIM screwed up in EVERY Other area which caused the tablet to fail.

On the PlayBook debut: Holy sh!1 they released a tablet without email! Or gasp.... BBM!!
    OMG there isn't even a freaking Calendar on this thing!!!! WTH is this?! It's not a tablet! RIM: "Its the professional grade tablet" Media: Oh My fkin Lord! These guys really don't have a clue!!

Little later: OK, the PIMs are coming in a BIG re-release called 2.0 that's gonna blow everybody's socks off!! You wait and see! There will be major apps, PIMs, amazing new features, and as an added bonus we're gonna add android apps so all your app needs will be met while we get our eco system together. Also we're gonna send out a survey and ask you playbook owners what YOU want in OS 2.0 and we're gonna add as much as that as possible just to ensure your socks are blown off! WE ARE GONNA LEAP FROG THE COMPETITION!!!!

Later still: Uh.. Yeah.. What those other guys were saying was totally off. They really screwed up. So bad, that they offered to work for a dollar and we still got rid of their azzes and hired me that we're pay millions
    2.0 isn't our great hope for this tablet and our phones, BB10 is!!! It's gonna be AWESOME!... Trust me!!

YES they did make promises they didn't keep and mislead owners as well as future owners about the real world capabilities of the PlayBook. They know this. They've admitted their mistakes. Where we're at now is... Giving them one more chance to make it right. Either you're willing to stick with them and WAIT. Or just move on...
    07-31-12 01:34 PM
    The problem with RIM is leadership. After they became #1 the leadership of the company failed it's consumers and employees by not taking action to adjust to the consumers wants. Not needs but simply their wants. RIM has talented employees who had the ability to keep the company profitable and it's products innovative but the founders of RIM did nothing to keep the company great. RIM has allowed itself to be pushed out of virtually all of Europe, Canada, and the United States. They point to the middle east and India to show good sales and argue that they are innovative.
    I will be the last one to still have a RIM product when everyone else has left.
    07-31-12 03:07 PM
    And did you not research your purchase before hand to findout that Skype is not available? If not, then that was a poor decision.
    Initial imagea of the blackberry playbook that RIM officially released, and therefore sanctioned, had images of a skype icon on it. Therefore, anybody seeing those images had a right to believe skype was available for the playbook. Months after launch we all found out skype will not be available ever as they have said they have no intention of making a skype app for it.
    ralfyguy likes this.
    07-31-12 03:16 PM
    So those initial mock up images showed the skype logo ... And that was ... um .... At least 15 months ago right? Wow, for people who don't do any research, you certainly have long memories!
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-31-12 03:25 PM
    We all know that to be a true "business tablet", it needs an app to be able to call my family and friends for free...
    bungaboy, hpjrt, gritsinct and 1 others like this.
    07-31-12 03:29 PM
    I bought one a week ago after a lot of resistance. I've heard some much doom and gloom about RIM and their "lousy" products lately. In the media it's negative on RIM - 24/7. I'm a loyal BB user (7+ years) The Playbook is absolutely amazing! I was very pleasantly surprised and somewhat impressed with all that it does. I love it! I'm thinking of buying a second one. And yes, I already have an iPad, but this thing is tops in my book.
    FF22, bungaboy and GreenCopperz like this.
    07-31-12 03:33 PM
    Why would anyone research if Skype is available on a device with a front facing camera? Every other device with a front facing camera has Skype as a choice of software. Your comment is kinda bs. Now a days it would be assumed most devices have major apps. I'm not blaming RIM entirely, but they are at fault just as must as Microsoft not making the app available.
    Any time someone assumes something they are making a bad decision. Exert the extra energy and KNOW rather than assume.

How can you hold RIM responsible for MS not making Skype available? I don't get that anymore than holding Ford responsible because Chrysler didn't build a Hemi to fit the Mustang.
    Last edited by stewartj1; 07-31-12 at 08:24 PM.
    bungaboy and gritsinct like this.
    07-31-12 05:58 PM
    Initial imagea of the blackberry playbook that RIM officially released, and therefore sanctioned, had images of a skype icon on it. Therefore, anybody seeing those images had a right to believe skype was available for the playbook. Months after launch we all found out skype will not be available ever as they have said they have no intention of making a skype app for it.
    With all due respect, I love my PB and wouldn't want a different tablet, but that thing with the Skype logo was really lame. They shouldn't have put it there and it WAS misleading, period. There is no excuse for that. Don't put stuff there that isn't guaranteed. That was borderline false advertising.
    07-31-12 06:37 PM
    O_O

Microsoft OWNS Skype and has an app for windows phone
    07-31-12 07:14 PM
    Obviously.... this is a troll post. Who goes to buy something without even checking out it's features? It's called research, even the most simple minded consumer does this at its most basic form which would be to ask friends or colleagues about the device.

You sir, trolleth hard.
    Stewartj1 and bungaboy like this.
    07-31-12 08:11 PM
    I purchased a 64G playbook hoping I could eventually use it on my travels and communicate via Skype. Rim spent a lot of time designing a machine than turned it into a play station.

Games might be great but there are all kind of machines right now that will do that for you. This was supposed to be a business machine and if you look at what is being advertised as far as apps are concerned, it's competing with Ipad for HD games.

Guess it's going to be the old Acer netbook as a travelling tool. It's an old machine but right now Playbook can't touch it.
    You got the exact experience you deserve.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-31-12 09:22 PM
    Give u 100 bucks for your RIM dude...
    07-31-12 09:42 PM
    OPs is fishing.
    07-31-12 09:52 PM
    1. I've seen posts from other reputable CrackBerry members that say Skype is coming with BB10.

2. There is a post today on CrackBerry about how Skype SUCKS for Android.
    I've used Skype for Android over wifi and its decent. Picture freezes sometimes, but it does the same on my laptop if the internet's bad.
    07-31-12 10:22 PM
    Newbie troll. Send me that playbook and be gone with you.

Maybe this thread needs to be closed as well.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-31-12 10:39 PM
    What's with all the high and mighty "should have done your research". We all hope and wish for a update that let's our devices do more. I did my research and I thought the playbook would have been much further along than it is. You can do all the research you want and end up with something that's not for you. Plus you add on all the Rim "its coming" and it doesn't. Rim will go under for this if they don't deliver with BB10. By deliver I mean at least get the what has become standard in apps. I never used Skype until a few weeks ago when my job required me to and I can see why it is a must have for a lot of people. Think about the amount of people who laughed and walk away from the playbook because they don't have netflix, and skype and words with friends and kindle and the list goes on. For each missing link there's 1000s+ missed sales and that's adds up. /endrant
    Bakamushi likes this.
    07-31-12 11:09 PM
    What's with all the high and mighty "should have done your research". We all hope and wish for a update that let's our devices do more. I did my research and I thought the playbook would have been much further along than it is. You can do all the research you want and end up with something that's not for you. Plus you add on all the Rim "its coming" and it doesn't. Rim will go under for this if they don't deliver with BB10. By deliver I mean at least get the what has become standard in apps. I never used Skype until a few weeks ago when my job required me to and I can see why it is a must have for a lot of people. Think about the amount of people who laughed and walk away from the playbook because they don't have netflix, and skype and words with friends and kindle and the list goes on. For each missing link there's 1000s+ missed sales and that's adds up. /endrant
    I think you missed the part where the OP clearly states that he got the Playbook for Skype...... Do you not see a problem there? Even the most simplest person would ask the salesman at the store if the Playbook has Skype. How does one not do a simple Google search for "Skype for Playbook". The end result would have saved him a few hundred and lots of time. ✊

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    bungaboy, Stewartj1 and hpjrt like this.
    07-31-12 11:48 PM
    Guess it's going to be the old Acer netbook as a travelling tool. It's an old machine but right now Playbook can't touch it.
    Wise choice. A good windows laptop still makes any tablet look silly in terms of versatility.

Sent from my flip-phone.
    07-31-12 11:54 PM
    What's with all the high and mighty "should have done your research". We all hope and wish for a update that let's our devices do more. I did my research and I thought the playbook would have been much further along than it is.
    After approximately 18 months since its debut you would think the BlackBerry PlayBook would be substantially further along in terms of productivity applications. While I am able to use the tablet for many professional-grade tasks there are glaring shortcomings. But I still prefer the BlackBerry PlayBook to any other tablet on the market at present.
    mnhockeycoach99 and bungaboy like this.
    08-01-12 12:38 AM
    I thought this was something about Australia

Op, Why don't you advocate the PB and then maybe you & your friends and business folks can use the PlayBook native video chat and have some fun and business?
    08-01-12 01:49 AM
    I can see why RIM is going under!
    Ok, now I've heard it all from the prophet - RIM will be trash because PB cannot "skype".
    we all shall fall over ourselfes to consider lowering levels back down to Acer.

or am I reading it wrong - maybe its subtle irony?

meant to point out the absurdity of a lot of complaints if one (1) app is not running -
    if so, brilliant job OP!

Damian
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-01-12 02:16 AM
    For skype ; checkout xSacha topic. He found a hint that 2.1 might get Native MSN, AIM , GTalk, Skype and more. I think the Skype will be just the chat...
    Just search for the topic on his profile
    08-01-12 03:42 AM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD