I purchased a 64G playbook hoping I could eventually use it on my travels and communicate via Skype. Rim spent a lot of time designing a machine than turned it into a play station.

Games might be great but there are all kind of machines right now that will do that for you. This was supposed to be a business machine and if you look at what is being advertised as far as apps are concerned, it's competing with Ipad for HD games.

Guess it's going to be the old Acer netbook as a travelling tool. It's an old machine but right now Playbook can't touch it.
    07-31-12 09:37 AM
    I purchased a 64G playbook hoping I could eventually use it on my travels and communicate via Skype. Rim spent a lot of time designing a machine than turned it into a play station.

Games might be great but there are all kind of machines right now that will do that for you. This was supposed to be a business machine and if you look at what is being advertised as far as apps are concerned, it's competing with Ipad for HD games.

Guess it's going to be the old Acer netbook as a travelling tool. It's an old machine but right now Playbook can't touch it.
    And did you not research your purchase before hand to findout that Skype is not available? If not, then that was a poor decision. If you did, and still chose to buy the Playbook on the hope that Skype would eventually come, then that was a poor decision.

In short, the Playbook was the wrong device for you - oh and RIM's not to blame for that.
    07-31-12 09:46 AM
    and RIM is going under because lots of people DID do the research. whose fault is that?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    rango10, yanicmb and BlazorBoy like this.
    07-31-12 09:51 AM
    Research, research, research and research before you buy. I got a Nexus 7 but knew that the Chrome browser wouldn't support flash before hand. So now I won't complaint about it.
    Puddin13, Stewartj1 and bungaboy like this.
    07-31-12 09:54 AM
    There was no research in motion.
    yanicmb, Bakamushi and Hobbes2099 like this.
    07-31-12 09:56 AM
    and RIM is going under because lots of people DID do the research. whose fault is that?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    RIM is not going under, but if they do is because they failed to adapt to an everchanging market.
    mrzeolite likes this.
    07-31-12 09:58 AM
    The PlayBook is not the problem. It's one of many issues that make up the problem, IMO.

sent from my Galaxy S lll (*_~)
    07-31-12 10:02 AM

1. I've seen posts from other reputable CrackBerry members that say Skype is coming with BB10.

2. There is a post today on CrackBerry about how Skype SUCKS for Android.
    Puddin13 likes this.
    07-31-12 10:02 AM
    And did you not research your purchase before hand to findout that Skype is not available? If not, then that was a poor decision. If you did, and still chose to buy the Playbook on the hope that Skype would eventually come, then that was a poor decision.

In short, the Playbook was the wrong device for you - oh and RIM's not to blame for that.
    Why would anyone research if Skype is available on a device with a front facing camera? Every other device with a front facing camera has Skype as a choice of software. Your comment is kinda bs. Now a days it would be assumed most devices have major apps. I'm not blaming RIM entirely, but they are at fault just as must as Microsoft not making the app available.
    07-31-12 10:03 AM
    I have never used Skype. I hear mixed things about it.

3G is not really a great way to stream live video. Maybe 4g will be, but right now, 3g phones and tablets are not the way to do it IMO.

PS yes I know there are some 4G Tablets and Phones, but in my opinion they are too new to tell if they are truly good or not for this.
    07-31-12 10:10 AM
    Assumptions make an "@ss of you and me".... RIM is hardly going under because of a couple of Apps you may want are there...... There must haver been other reasons why you purchsed a Playbook over another tablet..... As for Skype... would have a good argument if RIM at any point said Skype was coming..... of course they did not..... So I do not understand your beef in this......
    Puddin13 and bungaboy like this.
    07-31-12 10:12 AM
    Why would anyone research if Skype is available on a device with a front facing camera? Every other device with a front facing camera has Skype as a choice of software. Your comment is kinda bs. Now a days it would be assumed most devices have major apps. I'm not blaming RIM entirely, but they are at fault just as must as Microsoft not making the app available.
    That's just like assuming that every tablet has a front facing camera. The same research that was used to find out the the PB has a front facing camera should have been the same research done for Skype.
    Darlaten, Puddin13 and bungaboy like this.
    07-31-12 10:12 AM

RIM isn't failing because this, they are failing because of people like you who buy things on a whim thinking it will do one thing and yet it does the opposite or not at all.

If your so unhappy with your RIM products, sell them and stick to what makes you the happy camper.
    Darlaten, Puddin13 and bungaboy like this.
    07-31-12 10:16 AM
    What is "bs" is for people to make a purchase of any product without researching what it can actually do, and then come on forums and shout to the heavens that the manufacturer is going under because the product doesn't do what the person thought it would.

And I'm sorry, but if you really needed a particular app on your tablet, wouldn't that be the first thing you would actually look for when you go to purchase the device? And if you didn't, then to be blunt, you were utterly foolish with your purchase.

Take the product back and buy one that suits your needs - but for heaven's sake, do some research before your next purchase.
    sleepngbear and Puddin13 like this.
    07-31-12 10:24 AM
    RIM is not going under.
    07-31-12 10:31 AM
    Can't imagine ever buying a product for what I hoped it would do in the future. Makes absolutely no sense. Buy it for what it does now. Sell your pb and move on - definitely not the right device for you. Love mine by the way.
    07-31-12 10:32 AM
    You know what they say about assuming.
    Puddin13 likes this.
    07-31-12 10:49 AM

Another ignorant consumer not doing his/her research! (Almost wanted to say "st*pid", but afraid it would get me flagged)
    Last edited by rcm1301; 07-31-12 at 11:01 AM.
    07-31-12 10:57 AM
    Because this is what intelligent people do before they spend their hard earned money on product. If you have 2 or 3 must have core apps that need to work on the platform you are looking at, complaining about them not working on the internet after you bought it, is not the right answer.

In other news, after owning several playbooks since they were released, I just found out netflix is not supported. FML
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-31-12 10:59 AM
    Now a days it would be assumed most devices have major apps.
    Just as everybody would ASSUMED people would only make smart comments on forums.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-31-12 11:05 AM
    Wait,
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the initial advertisment (a picture or video) for the playbook show skype as being available or show a skype icon. I vaguely remember seeing or reading that.

Also, when the Playbook initially came out with lackluster reviews, many people boosted about how great it would potentially be in the future due to the specs, upgrades etc. Prior to 2.0, that was the argument so why now is it a crime to say you purchased based on the playbooks potential?
    07-31-12 11:20 AM
    Assumptions make an "@ss of you and me".... RIM is hardly going under because of a couple of Apps you may want are there...... There must haver been other reasons why you purchsed a Playbook over another tablet..... As for Skype... would have a good argument if RIM at any point said Skype was coming..... of course they did not..... So I do not understand your beef in this......
    When the pb was first introduced or even for sale rim did show the skype logo. Well, they implied and others inferred. Last week someone posted the image of the pb that Rim advertised showing the Skype logo on the pb.
    pri79269 likes this.
    07-31-12 11:24 AM
    Wait,
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the initial advertisment (a picture or video) for the playbook show skype as being available or show a skype icon. I vaguely remember seeing or reading that.

Also, when the Playbook initially came out with lackluster reviews, many people boosted about how great it would potentially be in the future due to the specs, upgrades etc. Prior to 2.0, that was the argument so why now is it a crime to say you purchased based on the playbooks potential?
    There was a picture of the Skype logo. Bit RIM in the arse for months.
    Last edited by lc1412; 07-31-12 at 11:30 AM.
    pri79269 likes this.
    07-31-12 11:28 AM
    Please,just stay home! Rim is not going down under just because the playbook doesn't satisfy you.
    07-31-12 12:23 PM
    There was a picture of the Skype logo. Bit RIM in the arse for months.
    Thanks. I thought I saw it.
    07-31-12 12:29 PM
85 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD