Gadgets are like football teams. If you're a fan of one, you often dislike the other. Some people prefer the underdog, others prefer the top ranking team. But unlike football teams which can be measured by score, the choice of tablet is personal. It has to fit your requirements. Some care about Netflix and Skype, others care about Bridge and performance. To each his own. Trying to decide which is "best" is futile. Both of them are great devices, and they each have their own quirks. The same is true for iPads and Touchpads and Meego's and Win8 tabs. Let's respect each other, agree to disagree sometimes and try to get along.
    I agree with you on some key points you've made but have to disagree on some. Much like football we can score tabs without being at all biased. For instance the playbook will score against the ipad when it comes down to 1. Better cameras, 2. More robust and multitasking device whilst the ipad takes the cake for 1.user friendly and 2. App provision. While android is for its custimizabilty.

Now we PB lovers won't just sit by and hear haters spew crap about it. Certain things can be measured. PB provides a better web experience soley because ontop of being on par with the iPad, it supports flash where as the ipad doesn't. No compromises there, the web experience can be justified based on similarity to the desktop experience. So somethings aren't so vague... And persons ought to give credit where it is due.
    Last edited by digtech; 01-15-12 at 10:49 PM.
    01-15-12 10:44 PM
    honestly 10.1 tablets and the ipad are not really all that portable. i have pockets that can hold my playbook and when im holding it, it feels balanced...just right.
    01-15-12 11:05 PM
    I agree with you on some key points you've made but have to disagree on some.
    I'm sure some (not me!) would consider Flash in the browser a disadvantage, even if you can turn it off. And for enterprise use, the customizability of Android could be a support problem.

My point is: there is always more than one way of looking at these things, and one persons requirements may juxtapose another persons requirements. One mans dream is another mans nighmare.

I'm happy with my gadgets. I hope other people are happy with theirs. They may want very different things, and thus choose a different gadget. I'm fine with that. I buried the hatchet back in the C-64-versus-Atari days.

Now... Scrabble anyone? ;-)
    Last edited by Innovatology; 01-16-12 at 04:18 AM.
    01-16-12 03:54 AM
    If you read enough posts on this forum you will understand.. Oh, you're not allowed to speak negatively about PB until your post count exceeds certain number.
    Yeah, I find it a little strange how people seem to want to ignore any valid complaints about the PB's shortcomings and criticise people for doing so... but I guess you will always find that kind of fingers-in-ear mentality on a dedicated BB forum... just as you would with people defending an iPhone on an Apple forum. That's why people like you and me are needed as a balancing counterweight to inject some rationality into the proceedings.
    01-16-12 04:14 AM
    If you also have BB and able to use bridge function, be happy. Most people without BB are left with a severely crippled product which is useless especially at work without email client. Our hope is of course OS 2.0.

For some reason Touchdown wouldn't connect to exchange server anymore and I stopped carrying my PB to work. It's sitting at home waiting for OS 2.0 upgrade.

lol... no offence but i dont currently have a bb phone.. I dont see my playbook as even slightly crippled.. and a good chunk of people out there use webmails.. the playbook to most is not just for mailing people lol.. why dont u hit up some of the threads here and u might find more to do then read your email with the playbook..
    01-16-12 12:37 PM
    Yeah, I find it a little strange how people seem to want to ignore any valid complaints about the PB's shortcomings and criticise people for doing so... but I guess you will always find that kind of fingers-in-ear mentality on a dedicated BB forum... just as you would with people defending an iPhone on an Apple forum. That's why people like you and me are needed as a balancing counterweight to inject some rationality into the proceedings.
    I think its more because the ONLY real complaints we hear are the SAME since release.. over and over OMG my ios fart apps aren't ported what a pos tablet! no native email ?! Anyone who did any amount of research should have known this before buying and would know its all getting fixed shortly.
    01-16-12 12:44 PM
    lol... no offence but i dont currently have a bb phone.. I dont see my playbook as even slightly crippled.. and a good chunk of people out there use webmails.. the playbook to most is not just for mailing people lol.. why dont u hit up some of the threads here and u might find more to do then read your email with the playbook..
    Well, the RIM must be shooting in the dark by adding dedicated email client in OS 2.0 which is the biggest feature of it.

Webmails? Another ridiculous suggestion, yet persists. It's designed for computers with mouse. Try using that on 7" tablet with your finger, let alone working with attachments. Yes, I tried that and it fails miserably in corporate world - outlook web client. It works a little better with gmails and such but still no substitute for dedicated email client.

There are reasons for demand for dedicated apps, and the reasons that software vendors are building dedicated apps.

It is severely crippled without working email tool in corporate world, which is the primary market RIM is targeting with Playbook.
    01-16-12 01:14 PM
    I think its more because the ONLY real complaints we hear are the SAME since release.. over and over OMG my ios fart apps aren't ported what a pos tablet! no native email ?! Anyone who did any amount of research should have known this before buying and would know its all getting fixed shortly.
    Well, those we were expecting september roll out of OS 2.0, what did they get?

There are valid concerns over PB as it is today, if you simply try to ignore it, it won't get us (actually RIM) anywhere.
    01-16-12 01:16 PM
    I do not understand all the negative stuff people keep posting. It makes me wonder if these folk really own a PB or BB.
    No, they *mostly* don't. Some of them do know why, as they have habits, devices or needs that were not "fitted" by BB combo (PB+phone), while others just rely on ... salesman or (lack of) reviews ?
    01-16-12 01:33 PM
    My work BB becomes due for refresh in May 2012 and I was soooo looking forward to switching to a non BB corporate phone. But after getting my PBs I have decided to get the most recent model available in May/June... I am going to have to research the BB phones cos I know nothing about them.... I might have to ask you guys at that time what I should be getting
    01-16-12 01:38 PM
    I SO can't wait for the OS2 release in february, it looks fantastic, but what's exciting me almost as much is the fact I won't have to read the drivel on here about the Playbook's supposed shortcomings.
    I love my PB. I know it can (and will) be improved, but I bought it with full knowledge of it's abilities and am more than happy with it so far (I've only had it since september).
    I'm actually quite intrigued as to what the whiners will come up with to complain once the added functions of OS2 are implemented
    Any way, to the OP, I totally agree with everything you said, even the stuff about the Acer
    Si.
    Alt-F4 likes this.
    01-16-12 02:09 PM
    really glad your enjoying you pb i've been enjoying mine since it launch and watching ces has now made me more excited than i was before santa visited, my co worker came in and was showing off his new ipad he got for christmas and how good it was until i gave him a shot of the pb, you see any fool can make things difficult it takes genius to make things simple , and the ui on the playbook is far better than ios or android , as i have andriod tablet and it now just collects dust
    01-16-12 02:48 PM
    I SO can't wait for the OS2 release in february, it looks fantastic, but what's exciting me almost as much is the fact I won't have to read the drivel on here about the Playbook's supposed shortcomings.
    I love my PB. I know it can (and will) be improved, but I bought it with full knowledge of it's abilities and am more than happy with it so far (I've only had it since september).
    I'm actually quite intrigued as to what the whiners will come up with to complain once the added functions of OS2 are implemented
    Any way, to the OP, I totally agree with everything you said, even the stuff about the Acer
    Si.
    i love how you label people whiners for putting forward valid complaints that have backed up and echoed by industry experts. i love my playbook and am looking forward to os 2.0, but i call a spade a spade and can talk about a device objectively, good points and bad. Evangelistic attitudes really dont do fanbase reputations any favours, just check out an Apple forum for evidence of that. If a person is a mature adult they should be able to handle valid criticism like an adult. Some people here clearly seem to lack that ability.
    01-16-12 04:13 PM
    Well as you quoted me Richdog-, I guess I entitled to respond.
    I have no problems with complaints, I have a job where I get to hear them on a regular basis. What I find absurd is the fact that people have been bleeting on about the same supposed problems since the Playbook was released (funnily envough quite regularly practically quoting soem tech sites that are openly hostile to RIM).
    Even now with an OS update that even "industry experts" say is fantastic we still get put through the same arguments as to the Playbook's shortcomings.
    For those of us who knew what we were buying in the first place because we were intelligent enough to make an informed decision, then the arguments about that type of missing app complaint are invalid because we knew it was missing when we bought the thing. Yes, it would have been nice for a few extra things to work in a different way from the start, but dragging up what is practically out of date information to put down tech, which if it had been than much of a problem the app was missing, the person should never have bought it in the first place.
    Unfortunately, I have the destinct impression thanks to your remark, that even once the OS2 update is out there, the use of these same old arguments to put down the Playbook will still be valid for some people.
    Si.
    01-28-12 03:49 AM
    i love my playbook for its portability and all, but either i have some small pants or you guys got some huge pockets!! i can't fathom stuffing my pb in my pants pockets lol
    01-28-12 04:01 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD