I dont have an ipad mini btw thank you for the worda. Why some people hate the playbook anyway? If you are telling me it feels like a premium device then there is no reason for hate

Posted via CB10
    Many expect to get bb10 OS upgrade - that is why they are not happy.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 05:37 AM
    I've bought two BlackBerry Playbooks too , one for me and one for my wife , so everybody says BP is daed , but it depends for what are you going to use it , I'm using my BP for emailing , surfing , watching movies and chat thats it ... for me BP is great well build device and for me it doesn't matter what kind of tablet I use, If I had an iPad mini or some an Android tablet I were used them for same way, but in this case all my family members have BB 9900 so i can use BB Bridge
    Thata true! I am not going to use BP for apps. If i wanted apps i would have purchased something else. I want it for blackberry bridge mostly, but i dont want to use a tablet which feels cheap and the overall OS is laggy.

Posted via CB10
    zhekov likes this.
    01-21-14 05:41 AM
    Our two Playbooks are still going strong and working effectively. Bought a piece of Samsung junk last year - cheaply made and poorly designed. Android Jellybean is a terrible operating system. Now we're back to Playbooks for travel and reading books.
    zhekov likes this.
    01-21-14 06:17 AM
    Our two Playbooks are still going strong and working effectively. Bought a piece of Samsung junk last year - cheaply made and poorly designed. Android Jellybean is a terrible operating system. Now we're back to Playbooks for travel and reading books.
    Does the screen feel plastic or is it made from a another material? Like gorilla glass

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 06:42 AM
    Does the screen feel plastic or is it made from a another material? Like gorilla glass

Posted via CB10
    I don't know if it's gorilla glass (likely not) but it feels like glass, not plastic. Good quality screen material.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 07:08 AM
    I don't know if it's gorilla glass (likely not) but it feels like glass, not plastic. Good quality screen material.

Posted via CB10
    Thats what i wanted to know, thank you

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 07:24 AM

Posted via CB10
    I will bet you that you will reach for your PB more often than your Nexus. I do. If you like the BB10 OS on your Q10, PB is very similar as it was the prototype for BB10. I like the OS much better than android. It handles flash better than Jelly Bean/KitKat. Very smooth and love the gestures. I think you made a great decision and it looks like a bargain. It isn't gorilla glass so it is scratchable. The overall build exudes quality. You will be very happy.
    01-21-14 07:26 AM
    OP for the price you made a good purchase.

That said, if you are use to the speed and response of your Q10, you will not be happy using the PlayBook as a companion device or a standalone device for browsing. The Bridge connection is slow and unreliable, and the PlayBook browser was bad when it was release when compared with other devices... some have had success with 3rd party browsers, but everyone I've tried still give you the checkerboard.

As a media player, the PlayBook is a great device.

Book Reader, not so much due to the lack of quality application. The best I found was one called Book Reader, but the application has been having technical issues for many, and the developer is no longer "engaged". Kindle Reader is ok, but it has connection issues from time to time - and you have to sideload a much older version.

Quality - is very good, other than the USB port problems that others have mentioned - mine went out under warranty and was replaced. One note on hardware.... the Battery is like most Lithium Batteries, the life span is about 3-Years, not sure when your PlayBook was built or how it was used - but battery failures are becoming common in the forums these days. Might be the first thing you test out.
    01-21-14 07:27 AM
    I will bet you that you will reach for your PB more often than your Nexus. I do. If you like the BB10 OS on your Q10, PB is very similar as it was the prototype for BB10. I like the OS much better than android. It handles flash better than Jelly Bean/KitKat. Very smooth and love the gestures. I think you made a great decision and it looks like a bargain. It isn't gorilla glass so it is scratchable. The overall build exudes quality. You will be very happy.
    I love bb10 but i know at the same time that it is smooth!! Much smoother than an android device! I am not sure if this is the case with the playbook. If its smooth enough..

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 07:50 AM
    OP, I know you will find the PB very useful. I personally know someone who bought 2 PB last year for the family and is truly happy with his decision.
    My kids still use mine and I occasionally use mine for work; same applies to my iPad ever since I got my Z30. ENJOY!
    01-21-14 08:13 AM
    How the quality feels like in terms of hardware?
    Since you bought it, why not play with it and find out? You are asking other people what they think when at the end of the day you may not necessarily agree with them. In this instance, the only opinion that really matters is yours.
    BoldMaverick likes this.
    01-21-14 08:16 AM
    excellent choice.I still think the blackberry bridge is one of the most fantastic innovations by Blackberry.I have two playbooks which I use everyday.
    Andreas Kimishis1 likes this.
    01-21-14 08:43 AM
    Is playbook a quality piece of hardware?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, other than the microusb port. It's just too easy to put the cable connector in upside down or because of the size of the tablet, easy to bend the connector inside the tablet if you apply considerable downward force onto it. The magnetic charger lowers the risk of this kind of damage happening. I have 5 playbooks in the house and don't have issues with any of them.

Also, some advise when plugging in the microusb cable.. always ensure that the BB logo is facing you when looking at the screen. I've even gone one step further on my kid's PBs to add some colour to the side of the connector that should be facing you when inserted by using some "white-out " on the cable.
    01-21-14 09:13 AM
    I use mine all the time. Really great built, good screen. Just remember, all tablets have their pro's and con's. You did a great purchase.
    01-21-14 11:31 AM
    congrats! but for �35 plus postage you could have gotten yourself a 64gb one, i saw a 32gb go for �20 brand new last week. i was very tempted but i have a kindle fire hdx so itd be buying for the sake of buying it cheap
    01-21-14 11:54 AM
    Okay no problem! what do you think guys? Have I made a good decision?

Posted via CB10
    Hope it doesn't break, you are on your own! Zero support from BB.
    01-21-14 12:00 PM
    I still use mine every day for music movies browsing and .......secure banking when on the road. I also loaded the osmand driving directions and all the maps, works as a giant screen GPS wifi or not.This has allowed me to ditch an extra device (gps) and no data roaming (phone) mated to the Z10 i can transfer work files back and forth and I use my playbook in the field with the docs to go.

its still a fantastic tablet, just took BB too long to get the 2.1.X OS out there. Looking for another one as a spare lol
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    01-21-14 01:38 PM
    I use mine, and I have PBs for the kids too. Great build quality, and for the price you paid, that's a fantastic deal. Screen resolution isn't as high as newer tablets, but it is high-quality. The feel of the PB is great, and it has a micro-HDMI out. I use mine more now for games, and I have Blaq on it. I use the Origami browser but sometimes the native browser is good enough too. I use Kobo and it works great as an e-reader in that regard. I had been using mine with the dock charger for a bedside clock, but mine got messed up (maybe the cat bit through the cable), so I don't use it for that anymore. I actually just bought another 64 GB model for my son to replace his 16 GB one just so he had storage for movies.
    01-21-14 03:32 PM
    I love bb10 but i know at the same time that it is smooth!! Much smoother than an android device! I am not sure if this is the case with the playbook. If its smooth enough..

Posted via CB10
    My Nexus 7 begs to differ. I own the PB and it's no smoother than any recent Android devices. As for BB10 devices, they're not running with any less stutter than any of my 2013 androids either (well.. maybe the Samsuck S4 I picked up in the Spring, but that's the exception).
    01-21-14 03:35 PM
    PB is awesome for watching movies and listening to music, I love mine!
    01-21-14 03:43 PM
    Since you bought it, why not play with it and find out? You are asking other people what they think when at the end of the day you may not necessarily agree with them. In this instance, the only opinion that really matters is yours.
    A forum is used for discussion, questions and opinions. I think you why i am here

Posted via CB10
    seluje likes this.
    01-21-14 03:52 PM
    OP, I know you will find the PB very useful. I personally know someone who bought 2 PB last year for the family and is truly happy with his decision.
    My kids still use mine and I occasionally use mine for work; same applies to my iPad ever since I got my Z30. ENJOY!
    I will enjoy, thank you )

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 03:53 PM
    congrats! but for �35 plus postage you could have gotten yourself a 64gb one, i saw a 32gb go for �20 brand new last week. i was very tempted but i have a kindle fire hdx so itd be buying for the sake of buying it cheap
    Are you sure? I tired on ebay aand amazon and that was the best deal!

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 03:54 PM
    Kalemsoft, I use this to play any movie file I can get a hold of. Hasn't failed on me yet.$4.99 in the Canada BlackBerry World.

Posted via CB10
    I've got Kalemsoft on my two PBs and haven't been able to get Kalemsoft to "see" any movies I've downloaded from the Blackberry Video Store.

Not a big deal, cuz the stock video player does the job and Kalemsoft doesn't appear to have many more useful controls over the stock player for movie playing, other than a "forward" button.

Any thoughts on this matter?

Best accessory I've found for video playing when I have a PB attached to a monitor/TV via hdmi cable is a bluetooth mouse (in my case a Microsoft Sculpt). I don't have to have the PB near my viewing position and I can control the player better with the mouse cursor than I can with a finger.
    01-21-14 05:57 PM
    I've got Kalemsoft on my two PBs and haven't been able to get Kalemsoft to "see" any movies I've downloaded from the Blackberry Video Store.

Not a big deal, cuz the stock video player does the job and Kalemsoft doesn't appear to have many more useful controls over the stock player for movie playing, other than a "forward" button.

Any thoughts on this matter?

Best accessory I've found for video playing when I have a PB attached to a monitor/TV via hdmi cable is a bluetooth mouse (in my case a Microsoft Sculpt). I don't have to have the PB near my viewing position and I can control the player better with the mouse cursor than I can with a finger.
    The movies / TV shows from the BlackBerry Video Store are all DRM protected. The stock BlackBerry Video app is the only app that can play those movies.

However, anything found on torrent sites or by other means all play well with Kalemsoft. DRM protection is the only thing Kalemsoft cannot play, but that's standard for any 3rd party app.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 06:21 PM
104 12345