The hardware is very solid and does not feel cheap or plasticky in any way. The USB port can be damaged if you try to insert the usb cable in upside down or otherwise try to force it in, but I suspect that this is the case with most tablets. Just be careful when inserting the USB (perhaps by clearly making the up side) and you shouldn't have any problems.
    Thank you, appreciate your help! I dont why, but I am excited to have a tablet (for basic tasks) that connects with my phone. I will buy a rapid charger for playbook!

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 05:20 PM
    I think you will continue to use your nexus 7 and get over that novelty junk pretty fast. Maybe three weeks and you will be sick of the blackberry junk
    01-20-14 05:29 PM
    I think you will continue to use your nexus 7 and get over that novelty junk pretty fast. Maybe three weeks and you will be sick of the blackberry junk
    I will never replace my nexus 7, even for an ipad. BlackBerry playbook can be used on other purposes

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 05:32 PM
    Way to be constructive

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 05:35 PM
    Origami Browser, Splashtop Remote Desktop and Kalemsoft Media Player. These three apps alone make the PlayBook excellent value.

Origami Browser and its pop up blocker makes browsing awesome. I can watch online shows and their commercials cease to exist. YES!! This app is free.

Splashtop, I use to remote into my MacBook whenever I need to access something when I'm away from home. $6.99 in the Canada BlackBerry World.

Kalemsoft, I use this to play any movie file I can get a hold of. Hasn't failed on me yet.$4.99 in the Canada BlackBerry World.

Use these with the micro HDMI to HDMI cord on your HD television and BOOM, life is awesome. Use your BlackBerry phone as a remote to the PlayBook and control it from the couch.

Edit: If you're big into music, Neutron Music Player takes good sounding music, and makes it amazing. $4.99

Posted via CB10
    hkkelvinlee likes this.
    01-20-14 05:39 PM
    Origami Browser, Splashtop Remote Desktop and Kalemsoft Media Player. These three apps alone make the PlayBook excellent value.

Origami Browser and its pop up blocker makes browsing awesome. I can watch online shows and their commercials cease to exist. YES!! This app is free.

Splashtop, I use to remote into my MacBook whenever I need to access something when I'm away from home. $6.99 in the Canada BlackBerry World.

Kalemsoft, I use this to play any movie file I can get a hold of. Hasn't failed on me yet.$4.99 in the Canada BlackBerry World.

Use these with the micro HDMI to HDMI cord on your HD television and BOOM, life is awesome. Use your BlackBerry phone as a remote to the PlayBook and control it from the couch.

Edit: If you're big into music, Neutron Music Player takes good sounding music, and makes it amazing. $4.99

Posted via CB10
    I am so glad that this device is able to do some extra stuff. I believe the blackberry mini keyboard case is the best accessory for the playbook but its actually over valued! It costs more than the device!

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 05:46 PM
    Right decision? Heck yeah!
    01-20-14 06:53 PM
    I am not sure if I can compare it with an ipad to be honest...

Posted via CB10
    The PB speakers are miles ahead of what you find in an iPad. They are at the front as speakers should and stereo too.

Posted via CB10
    stlabrat likes this.
    01-20-14 07:10 PM
    What about build quality?

Posted via CB10
    Excellent build quality. On par with apple products from the same time period. I still have mine, been dropped innumerable times, none the worse for wear. When compared to my Z10, it is starting to show it's age. Browser is a little slow.
    I really wish BlackBerry still supported the PlayBook. It had great promise and a 2nd version with more RAM, and speedier OS would've been awesome.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 07:29 PM
    you got a great deal on a very good device,,, don't let the bashers p!ss on your parade...
    01-20-14 07:45 PM
    I don't know what is going on with the Negative Nellies, but you scored a heck of a deal. As mention the hardware is really nice except for the fragile USB port. Luckily the rapid charger solves that. DOCTOREVIL8's advice is good on apps. Be ready to start using it in all kinds of ways you didn't think of initially. Of course, it depends on what you want out of it. HDMI out while Bridged with your phone is beyond brilliant, for either entertainment or business. That is my fav feature. You can get accessories for cheap. I have a third back up PB coming today. My other two are still work horses.
    SEAWARRIOR and Shadowyugi like this.
    01-20-14 07:53 PM

Posted via CB10
    Just turned volume up with full orchestra, like star war john Williams music, compare to ipad audio output, you might be surprised.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 08:08 PM
    For that price, just throw a bunch of music on it and then plug it into some audio in port on a stereo. The most use you'll get out of it
    01-20-14 08:28 PM

Posted via CB10
    Just enjoy it. For the money your paid, you get email, a decent browser, a few apps and bridge. Mine just died but I can honestly say it was the best money I ever spent. I have two Androids (nexus 7 and Kobo arc). They are terrible pieces of junk. They crash, have a full complement of bugs and the UI is poorly thought out. You did the right thing. I truly wish BlackBerry would make another playbook.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by THBW; 01-21-14 at 11:14 AM.
    01-20-14 08:31 PM
    Great purchase at that price. BTW, the iPad Mini has 512MB RAM compared to the PlayBook's 1GB.
    Andreas Kimishis1 likes this.
    01-20-14 08:38 PM
    I don't know why everybody says something about a nexus 7. I have a hi sense sero 7 pro that will kick the nexus into next year. I also have a playbook. Good tablet but limited due to BlackBerry.
    Cynycl and Andreas Kimishis1 like this.
    01-20-14 08:51 PM
    I don't know why everybody says something about a nexus 7. I have a hi sense sero 7 pro that will kick the nexus into next year. I also have a playbook. Good tablet but limited due to BlackBerry.
    I can second that. Barely use the playbook since I rooted the Sero pro. Sero speakers suck but no problem since I use the Bose Bluetooth for music and Chromecast for all video streaming.
    Last edited by Cynycl; 01-20-14 at 09:42 PM.
    01-20-14 09:31 PM
    Horrible purchase! I'll give you �40 pounds for it. You don't need the headache! ;-)

Keith H. Posted via CB10 on Z10.
    Techno-Emigre likes this.
    01-20-14 09:32 PM
    people say that it feels like a premium device, even better than the nexus 7 (in terms of hardware and build quality). Is that true?

Posted via cb10
    yes 100% true...
    01-20-14 09:46 PM
    I'm sorry to hear that : ( I have one and an ipad mini. The PlayBook is just a laggy pos in comparison. Sorry to rain on your parade.

Posted via CB10
    The only lagging on the PlayBook is its internet browser. The device itself is superior in many ways versus your iPad mini.
    The speakers on the PlayBook are nothing but awesome. Though I do admit there's a few bugs with with PlayBook that obviously needs to be fixed. Would be nice if BlackBerry would get out an update to resolve the minor issues.

Its been 2 years now and the PlayBook continues to stand on its own as a high quality device. I too would buy another PlayBook for that price
    01-20-14 09:50 PM
    Horrible purchase! I'll give you �40 pounds for it. You don't need the headache! ;-)

Keith H. Posted via CB10 on Z10.
    Thank u so much, i dont want you to have the "headache" either

Posted via CB10
    Shadowyugi and kthhrrsn like this.
    01-21-14 04:20 AM
    The only lagging on the PlayBook is its internet browser. The device itself is superior in many ways versus your iPad mini.
    The speakers on the PlayBook are nothing but awesome. Though I do admit there's a few bugs with with PlayBook that obviously needs to be fixed. Would be nice if BlackBerry would get out an update to resolve the minor issues.

Its been 2 years now and the PlayBook continues to stand on its own as a high quality device. I too would buy another PlayBook for that price
    I dont have an ipad mini btw thank you for the worda. Why some people hate the playbook anyway? If you are telling me it feels like a premium device then there is no reason for hate

Posted via CB10
    01-21-14 04:24 AM
    Hi OP!

I think that you scored a great deal, considering that its to be used as a companion device for your Q10, I think you bought something that is good. (this, from me, coming from a 9800 Torch user).

There are some apps that, if you're going to spend your money on it, is WORTH getting. However, if you do have the time to tinker about, do get the native podcast app and also the BBC app. I especially enjoyed the native podcast app.

There are some media files that are not being able to be played on the PlayBook (namely some mp4 formats) but with the right player you will find it working.

Converted apps from Android for 2.3.3 is a lot of hit-and-miss. I do however own an Android 2.3.7 device so sometimes when I want something to sideload into my PlayBook, I look at that android (relegated to the position of a wifi hotspot since the screen has a problem) for possible apps that I can attempt to load into my PlayBook.

I think you will find the PlayBook giving you a lot of enjoyment as a media player. I have used mine as a media player and I love it a lot. There are some kinks with the original browser, but most of the time, Origami Browser (free!) alleviates the issue, and depending on your use case, it is a powerful tool, although it is not as powerful in certain areas compared to browsers like chrome mobile or dolphin (you can load dolphin, but your mileage may vary!)

Most PlayBook users aren't active in the forums anymore, but if you have enquiries, do ask in the PlayBook forums. Sometimes, what we don't know what the PlayBook can do, is already being used that way by another forumer, so who knows?

You won't find the PlayBook replacing a lot of Android devices out there, but it has allowed me to actually look past my Acer A500 tablet (not that I don't miss that though, haha!) in many ways despite some serious setbacks, and since you did mention you'll pair it with your Q10, I think you'll love to enjoy the experience.
    01-21-14 04:34 AM
    Build quality is solid, absolutely. My biggest gripe would be the antennas, that are not that great on pick-up to begin with and are very easily further attenuated -- The GPS in particular suffers from this.
    01-21-14 04:36 AM
    I've bought two BlackBerry Playbooks too , one for me and one for my wife , so everybody says BP is daed , but it depends for what are you going to use it , I'm using my BP for emailing , surfing , watching movies and chat thats it ... for me BP is great well build device and for me it doesn't matter what kind of tablet I use, If I had an iPad mini or some an Android tablet I were used them for same way, but in this case all my family members have BB 9900 so i can use BB Bridge
    01-21-14 04:52 AM
104 1234 ...