$4.39 a gallon?
    That's about $1.14 a litre >.< if I saw that while I was driving down the highway I'd pull over and fill up! Our gas in Canada is around $1.20/L right now (about $4.54 a gallon). This is considering the conversion rate to be at par.
    How about �1.40/L in UK
    11-06-12 04:32 AM
    I just read there are utilty trucks from my area in Long Island the past few days helping restore power to some neighbourhoods. Looks like Con Ed is pulling out all the stops to help you people out. I hope your lights are back on soon.

Long Islanders welcome N.S. power crews in their own special way | The Chronicle Herald

A Long Island, N.Y., woman was so happy to see power crews from Nova Scotia on her street Saturday that she jumped into the arms of one startled worker.

Mary Nolan said Monday she offered the workers coffee and tea, but they declined and then set about the job of restoring electricity to an area that had been without it for five days.

“Somebody else had brought them pizza,” Nolan said in a telephone interview. “People were being very nice to them. We were trying to show them how much we appreciated it.”

One of Nolan’s neighbours in Bayport, a community of roughly 9,000 on Long Island’s south shore, took photos of the Emera Utility Services crews working on the street, along with the woman’s leap into the arms of worker Joey Martin.
    Bill Milligan sent the photos to The Chronicle Herald in an email thanking workers for travelling more than 1,500 kilometres to help after hurricane Sandy.

“We were pretty much in awe that they had travelled so far to help us,” Milligan said in an interview.

The crew returned to the area the next day and restored service to a nearby elementary school, he said.

“As a result, we started the normal school week without having to shuffle kids around.”

Emera Utility has 40 workers making storm repairs in Hartford, Conn., and Long Island this week. The equipment involved includes 16 bucket trucks and eight support pickups.

“These crews are highly trained and very experienced power-line technicians,” Emera spokeswoman Sasha Irving said via email Monday.

The workers also included construction managers and mechanical staff, she said.

Another Emera Inc. affiliate, Nova Scotia Power, also has 10 crews, including 20 technicians and five supervisors, on the job in Connecticut.

“Depending on the weather and the overall progress of the restoration efforts, we anticipate the (Emera Utility) crews will begin returning home later this week,” Irving said.

The Emera and Nova Scotia Power crews are there at the request of local utilities, who will cover the cost of emergency repairs.

Other utility companies from across North America have also sent help to hurricane-ravaged areas.

Almost 700,000 homes and businesses in New York City, its northern suburbs and Long Island were still without power Sunday, six days after the storm, according to reports by The Associated Press.

More than 900,000 homes and businesses in New Jersey were still without electricity.

Milligan said more than 1,200 homes in Bayport were without power after superstorm Sandy.

Some parts of the community, especially the waterfront, won’t have electricity back for another week, he said.

“You had a lot of people working together — neighbours helping neighbours out. We had trees that went through roofs and into homes. We had trees that came down, and crushed cars. It was a pretty big mess.”

Nolan said she wasn’t too badly affected by the storm, although gasoline shortages are a concern.

“We were very lucky. But you go 20 minutes farther south and it looks like the apocalypse. … It’s going to take months and months.”

Emera has also received a few emails from people wanting to say thank you, Irving said.

([email protected])
    bungaboy and Michelle Haag like this.
    11-06-12 09:52 AM
    Hey guess what? I LIVE IN BELMAR, NJ, one of the hardest hit places from he storm. WE HAVEN'T HAD POWER FOR OVER A WEEK. You wanna talk like this to me? Go for it. I'm suffering just like everyone else is.

Jessica
    Makes me wonder how you could be harsh toward a fellow survior like you were in your first post. I would have expected compassion and mutual support.

In any event, despite all that I do sincerely hope your life and the lives of those around you are back to rights as soon as possible and that you and all those you hold dear are doing as well as can be expected under the circumstances.
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-06-12 09:56 AM
    During Hurricane Sandy, my wifi went out for about 10-15 hours. My saving grace came in the form of my 9900 and PlayBook. With those, I was able to use my phone's connection to give myself internet during that time.

It's at times like this i feel really proud to own BB products (I am anyways, but even more so now)

My heart goes out to everyone who is still affected by the damage from the hurricane...especially those on the Jersey Shore. Stay Strong everyone...
    Stewartj1 and bungaboy like this.
    11-06-12 10:08 AM
    Thank you.

But, I know I'm way better off than a lot of other people. So many are homeless and lost everything.

My g/f lives in Lindenhurst... her son had an apartment in a house near the water there... She got her power back yesterday... His basement apartment is lost... He said today that "there are soldiers in Humvees with machine guns going down his street... It's a war zone".
    Wow, it sounds like things are quite desperate in some areas. At least your g/f and her son are okay.

I'm happy to hear some places are at least getting some electricity back as that will help the situation immensely.

Tell us more about your situation. How is everyone's health? House or apt? How are you cooking food? I know you have a generator, any problems finding gas for it?
    11-06-12 01:32 PM
    How about �1.40/L in UK
    Yeef! $2.22 CDN?!
    11-06-12 08:10 PM
    Wow, it sounds like things are quite desperate in some areas. At least your g/f and her son are okay.

I'm happy to hear some places are at least getting some electricity back as that will help the situation immensely.

Tell us more about your situation. How is everyone's health? House or apt? How are you cooking food? I know you have a generator, any problems finding gas for it?
    I am staying in the fourth different house in five days. They had a generator, but their power came back last night.

I live in a basement apartment. I'm not close to water, so thankfully no internal damage. there's still no power though.

My girlfriend did get gas in my car this morning (she was online for about an hour and the warning light came on just as she got on line...she made it. And I have my car back.

Schools resume tomorrow... but we are supposed to get affected by a nor'easter... earlier predictions of snow seem to be eased, but high winds (40-50mph) are predicted starting at 2pm. I know of one school district that cancelled school.

Thankfully no one got sick... there was some runny noses and coughing, but the symptoms have subsided.

Before I came to a house with a generator or power we ate a lot of pizza and donuts (the first two days the lines at Dunkin Donuts were as long as the gas lines you're hearing about now.... At that time there were very very few places open.
    11-06-12 08:59 PM
    Let's throw a Nor'Easter with very strong winds, piling on more than 6'" of snow yesterday afternoon/evening and schools were closed yet again today!

And (and you seriously can't make this stuff up), I returned to work yesterday for the first time this week... only for the lights to go off in the building... alarms to go off... evacuation outside in to windy/rain and snow... fire trucks pull up... over hand an hour later we were told to go home.

Power was lost too where I have been staying again... Grandma's (my son's friends grandmother who's house we stayed at the prior two days) generator failed, so we went next door (again) to Grandpa's house (don't ask... it's a soap opera!).

Still no power at my apartment... Gas in the tank is under half a tank... A wait on a gas line is again in my immediate future.

On a positive note, the boys are STILL totally hooked on Flycraft (could that be the best game ever developed for the PB?). I also purchase Backbreaker 2 Vengeance". They're loving that too! I have about 25 games or so on my PB, and they're having a blast. Occassionally I still get to check my emails (and sneak in some Flycraft play too ).

They're both nine (yes, we're down to only two boys in the house from the five that were there for a few days last week). Any good recommendations for other games (I should list the ones I have, but I can't remember their names off the top of my head) to keep them occupied for the foreseeable future?
    11-08-12 11:19 AM
    Just got the power restored to my apartment complex in Far Rockaway, NY, after 11 days without power. First time back on the forums. Cable connection is not up, so I'm using my 9930 with the Bridge. Love and prayers to those in the hardest hit areas, like Belmar NJ, and on the west end here in the Rockaways on Breezy Point.

I live on the east end of the Rockaways, so we suffered severe flooding and damage from the storm surge on the ocean side. Most of the area remains without power, and the homes/businesses that have power are using generators. There are street lights powered by generators placed at certain intersections.

Most of the damage to my apartment complex was in the basement. So while it was cold in my home, I was able to stay. We had clean water and the gas stove to cook/heat water.

During the time I had no power, I used the Playbook to play some of my favorite CDs I had loaded, play games, and write in my journal. Didn't use the bridge that much because it was hard to get a cell phone signal and I needed to conserve battery power on my phone so I can stay connected to family/friends.

Now that I have power, I might just open up a Kindle book to read on the commute to work. The LIRR is super-packed, running on reduced schedule. No room to read a printed book. I just finished an audiobook, so I might just download another audio on Overdrive, or open an Kindle e-book--or both!!
    9of13 likes this.
    11-10-12 09:46 AM
    Showing how the bridge with BB phone and Playbook work is very impressive.

Donate to Red Cross/pray for those with needs affected by Hurricane Sandy!
    11-10-12 01:48 PM
    Just got the power restored to my apartment complex in Far Rockaway, NY, after 11 days without power. First time back on the forums. Cable connection is not up, so I'm using my 9930 with the Bridge. Love and prayers to those in the hardest hit areas, like Belmar NJ, and on the west end here in the Rockaways on Breezy Point.

I live on the east end of the Rockaways, so we suffered severe flooding and damage from the storm surge on the ocean side. Most of the area remains without power, and the homes/businesses that have power are using generators. There are street lights powered by generators placed at certain intersections.

Most of the damage to my apartment complex was in the basement. So while it was cold in my home, I was able to stay. We had clean water and the gas stove to cook/heat water.

During the time I had no power, I used the Playbook to play some of my favorite CDs I had loaded, play games, and write in my journal. Didn't use the bridge that much because it was hard to get a cell phone signal and I needed to conserve battery power on my phone so I can stay connected to family/friends.

Now that I have power, I might just open up a Kindle book to read on the commute to work. The LIRR is super-packed, running on reduced schedule. No room to read a printed book. I just finished an audiobook, so I might just download another audio on Overdrive, or open an Kindle e-book--or both!!
    I go between my crib in LES and my mom's in Far Rock to check on her. Like most in those projects, no one evacuated. They just got power a few days ago via generators hooked up to each building.

When the lights went out in LES all I had charged was my PB. It came thru. Easy to carry as always. Buses the first few days around the boros was all we had. Each one was jammed packed unfilled the subways slowly came back on. Music and books came in handy big time there!
    DocDRM likes this.
    11-10-12 02:28 PM
    My power was restored two hours ago!!
    CCJSW10 and DocDRM like this.
    11-10-12 11:12 PM
    Ah man, that's a haul, especially on the buses. I know that Playbook got a workout. God bless you for checking on your mom!
    11-10-12 11:58 PM
    Just bookmarked some web pages on my Playbook from the MTA. They restored the A line subway service to the Howard Beach/JFK Airport Station, with a shuttle bus to Far Rockaway Station. So now we have a subway link from the Rockaways to the mainland. Real progress. They also posted a page on their progress rebuilding the Far Rockaway part of the A Train:

@NYCTSubwayScoop: After the devastation of Hurricane Sandy, see our efforts to rebuild in the Rockaways. https://t.co/iV3Lb3Mv

If there's any heroes besides the first responders and relief workers, I'd have to say YAY to the MTA for the way that they brought back the public transit after the storm, and their continuing work to repair and restore the system.

As for the goats--DEFINITELY my electric company, LIPA!
    11-11-12 08:10 AM
    It is pretty darn nasty in the affected areas. As of today one of the major auto insurers has had over 40,000 claims and they project upwards to or exceeding 100,000 claims. This is one insurer, they can't even get enough staff into the area to process the claims. Of course they are dealing with the gas issue,cellular service issue and no where to stay. I speak with folks from the region daily and it is quite humbling to hear their stories of what they have lost.

Best wishes to all affected by this catastrophe
    So I guess they will stop writing car insurance in this area like they have stopped writing home insurance.

Good luck to all affected.
    11-11-12 08:13 AM
40 12