I have the iPad 2 still, and let my PB go back to Bestbuy until it gets some updates I need for it to be able to fit into my life. All IMO, that's not why I'm making this thread. However one thing I truly took from my time with the PB was the size. I thought, as others did, 7" tablets would be DOA....however I LOVED THE SIZE!

I was wondering if anyone has played with the HTC flyer (that is similar to the PB in size and flash capabilities) who also has a PB. I'd love to hear their thoughts.

I may pick one up from best buy and see what I think for 14 days...

I think the HTC look ugly and doesn't have the svelte design of the PB but could be interesting. After just going back to my 9700 from and HTC inspire 4g, I feel as though I'd get a little sick of truly feeling as through it's a big phone because they look identical in the OS basically.

....and would miss the touch bezels
    Last edited by thlax; 05-30-11 at 11:22 AM.
    05-30-11 11:09 AM
    Why not do this...you have 14 days return at bestbuy right???...so instead of waiting and asking for someone elses opinion on the Flyer...why not just go pick one up and have a play yourself...if ya dont like it then return it simple?? or no??.

I dont know but id rather try it myself and see if it fits my lifestyle or my needs as everyone has different needs and wants.
    05-30-11 11:23 AM
    ....I'm planning on it, just wanted to hear some thoughts before......
    05-30-11 11:25 AM
    IMHO, it just a big android phone without calling capabilities ..
    05-30-11 12:07 PM
    I was wondering if anyone has played with the HTC flyer (that is similar to the PB in size and flash capabilities) who also has a PB. I'd love to hear their thoughts.
    I had the Flyer for less than 24 hours. I wasn't impressed. It's a big android phone, without the phone capability. HTC Sense is ok, but that's about it.

Plus, the HTC costs $500, and an optional digitizer pen is $80. Seems a little outrageous. In addition, the Flyer comes with Gingerbread. The Android tablet version of choice is Honeycomb these days. Who knows when HTC will get Honeycomb for the flyer. Could be months!

I got the playbook yesterday afternoon. I love everything about it. I'm working through a battery life issue, but other than that, it's great. Not to mention, it'll only get better with future updates.

Hope you make the decision that's correct for you.
    Last edited by Jackberry; 05-30-11 at 12:12 PM.
    05-30-11 12:09 PM

I got the playbook yesterday afternoon. I love everything about it. I'm working through a battery life issue.
    As for your battery life issue, have you tried opening the video chat and clicking through the terms and conditions agreement? This seems to have helped some people. **** try opening and closing everything
    05-30-11 12:25 PM
    As for your battery life issue, have you tried opening the video chat and clicking through the terms and conditions agreement? This seems to have helped some people. **** try opening and closing everything
    Yup, just did that, then I drained the battery, now recharging.

Back to the OP's question on the Flyer, battery life seemed pretty good, but I only had it for a day or so.
    05-30-11 12:43 PM
    I don't have the flyer but after playing with both flyer and Pb in the store I choose to go a head and buy the pb. I like HTC but really didn't see enough of a difference to warrant buying a flyer when I have my Evo running the same os. Wasn't really a fan of the looks of the flyer either. I have no problems with android OS ran pretty smooth.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-11 03:12 PM
    the only thing that really impressed me in the flyer is the ntrig pen. worked like a charm on pdf. tried griffin, alupen on the pb, not even close to decent. can the ntrig technology be used on a playbook?
    05-30-11 03:59 PM
    I'd say the Playbook almost 85% of the time. It has: better specs on most parts, costs less, and will have the same Android 2.3 operating system! Now to me it looked better and felt better, although the pen option on the Flyer is a major plus for me.
    Now if you have an Android phone, lol. Don't even bother with the Flyer, you'll get the same thing practically, just like the Apple brands. Although, it's really up to you...
    05-30-11 05:15 PM
    I'd say the Playbook almost 85% of the time. It has: better specs on most parts, costs less, and will have the same Android 2.3 operating system! Now to me it looked better and felt better, although the pen option on the Flyer is a major plus for me.
    Now if you have an Android phone, lol. Don't even bother with the Flyer, you'll get the same thing practically, just like the Apple brands. Although, it's really up to you...
    this is not even close to the truth but you can live in your own little world if you want.
    05-30-11 05:24 PM
    A phrased that wrong maybe... Andriod 2.3 apps (or 2.2, don't kill me for that), thats the main good thing about the systems right? Lol dang, my first critisied reply (touchy). Anyways, the user face our equally usable. So no complaining there, just my opinion.
    P.S. That better for you Howarmat?
    05-30-11 05:34 PM
    The flyer is really weaksauce in my opinion. After having a relatively late start to the party I expected more than a blown up phone that's wifi only from HTC. The flyer is more on the level of the original galaxy tab.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-11 05:53 PM
    just a simple case, i won't pay more than $400 for a WIFI 16GB single core tablet!
    05-30-11 11:51 PM
    the only thing that really impressed me in the flyer is the ntrig pen. worked like a charm on pdf. tried griffin, alupen on the pb, not even close to decent. can the ntrig technology be used on a playbook?
    I'm really starting to think not.

It looks like the pen input requires a special touch screen, and I don't think the PlayBook got that.

Sad. "Business class" device my b-u-t-t. It's a nice piece of hardware, but I'm thinking I shouldn't ahve bought one.
    05-31-11 01:06 AM
    i wouldnt be worried so fast, the coming native pim and doc tk go out of the box plus adobe should make the pb come out of the summer as a working horse, until then it is true that it s somehow frustating. as i understand the ntrig requires some hardware is it internal or is itbreally the screen? the great thing is that the pen tip is quite small really and that u can use it anywhere as an overlayer, it remains to see how it actually embeds within a pdf
    05-31-11 01:29 AM
    I'm fairly certain that the ability to use a fine-tip stylus to make notes depends on having the correct screen. I think if this was something the PlayBook could handle, we'd see such pens on the market by now.

Using a conventional capacitive stylus to write on the PlayBook is difficult at best. There's no way we'll see decent PDF annotation. You just can't write that small on the PB.
    05-31-11 01:43 AM
    I'm just gonna leave this here, since it is relevant..

http://www.androidcentral.com/tags/htc-flyer
    05-31-11 01:58 AM
    I'm fairly certain that the ability to use a fine-tip stylus to make notes depends on having the correct screen. I think if this was something the PlayBook could handle, we'd see such pens on the market by now.

Using a conventional capacitive stylus to write on the PlayBook is difficult at best. There's no way we'll see decent PDF annotation. You just can't write that small on the PB.
    true, i can put somethhing like three to four words on the pb display. thye other thing is graph and marks, which doo not requires the same accjracy asbwritkng. or we could think of handwriting recognition pkus autocorrect features
    05-31-11 03:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD