To sum it up:

FAIL.

HP TouchPad review -- Engadget

I'm sad about it though. Would have been great to see another serious competitor in the fields.
    06-30-11 12:35 AM
    The new Samsung's seem to be about the next best thing.
    06-30-11 01:49 AM
    I wasn't that impressed with the webOS interface. Seems a bit slow and clunky compared to the PB, even when the PB's software is kinda "meh". I think the stacking is interesting, but no one has actually shown how powerful the multi-tasking is (i.e. is it the same as PB in showcase mode? as I wrote in the other thread, I was chatting with a friend on video chat, listened to a video while speaking, and browsed the web all at the same time, and I really want to know if webOS can handle that).

I am also shocked that it doesn't handle 1080p video. 1080p youtube seems to work, but it can't export 1080p onto another monitor?

I think RIM is fortunate that one of its main rivals hasn't really taken advantage of RIM's missteps...
    06-30-11 01:54 AM
    Maybe these tablets aren't as easy to throw together as we all seem to think they are.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    anon(4018671) and MarketRide like this.
    06-30-11 02:23 AM
    i was a little surprised to find out it doesn't have video out capabilities, especially considering every other tablet does, HP isn't in a position to be that different.
    06-30-11 03:20 AM
    i must admit that i like the tab browsing feature. i wish the playbook had that because i find myself using the bezel switch left and right a lot. it would def be easier to switch browsers that way instead of pressing the little icon and the top and then changing over.

but wow ur right on the choppy look. pb is so smooth. i love that about my pb

neways too each his own, maybe ppl will like it!
    06-30-11 03:21 AM
    webos has always been doomed.... They havent managed a single good product release on it to date across 2 different company names....

06-30-11 03:28 AM
    So I read the review.

- The plastic feel.... yea okay. Now I like the rubber-feel on the PB
    - Local PIM apps. RIM would have rocked the review if they came with those
    - Release with native Twitter/FB apps... its 2 apps, but again, would have rocked if they released it with PB.
    - Bluetooth integration. Hay, their bridge can send SMS :O! That'd be nice on my BB :3
    - Their multi-task not as cool as PB imo. Their Office app never even loaded lol!
    - I LOVE THE CAMERA ON PB :O

Okay, I think I like my PB moar now xD! Come to think of it. RIM actually put a little effort in thinking the design through. I mean other than the ****ty power button, the 2 high-quality microphone that produces exceptional quality recording, the 2 speaker infront of the tablet so your hand would never feel so uncomfortable holding it.... they actually made some good decisions :3

Though the one thing is, when people play with my PB, they all don't know how to go back. I personally don't like the home button, but I think it would have been better, just for the masses... I can teach them gestures. But if someone were to walk up in BestBuy and try it out... they'd think its broken

When in doubt, press the home button.... it gets back to the homescreen... is kinda useful :3 for the less savvy ones.

But still in love with my PB !
    Last edited by Maiev; 06-30-11 at 03:36 AM.
    06-30-11 03:28 AM
    webos has always been doomed.... They havent managed a single good product release on it to date across 2 different company names....

Seems like the downfall is always crappy hardware. I saw a CNet review where they kind of raved about some of the OS multitasking features, but were negative on the build and hardware. Example... no rear camera.

If I remember the Palm phones had the same problem.
    06-30-11 03:37 AM
    i really think the OS is awesome. Some of the features are something that just make you say wow. I liked it back on the phones when it was wedOS 1 actually. Like mentioned the hardware is a little different. and its missing some features that you would think would be a must. RIM atleast got the hardware right so when the software comes around it wont be as hindered.

HP was counting on this being pretty big hitter so I assume they will continue to really tune the software in. Just have to see how fast they update things compared to RIM and some of the Android players
    06-30-11 03:48 AM
    Seems like the downfall is always crappy hardware. I saw a CNet review where they kind of raved about some of the OS multitasking features, but were negative on the build and hardware. Example... no rear camera.

If I remember the Palm phones had the same problem.
    Its worse than that. webOs has less app support than BBos....that combined with a yet to happen successful product launch puts it in a worse position than antiquated bb devices....
    Last edited by papped; 06-30-11 at 04:03 AM.
    06-30-11 03:57 AM
    Takeo,

what is so difficult to understand about this forum being for PB?

why cant you post any non PB related news in the forum dedicated for non PB units?

i just did that today. why cant you understand this? can someone explain why he can't understand this point?
    06-30-11 05:02 AM
    Takeo,

what is so difficult to understand about this forum being for PB?

why cant you post any non PB related news in the forum dedicated for non PB units?

i just did that today. why cant you understand this? can someone explain why he can't understand this point?
    Did you mean like he should be doing the post here instead?
    Web OS - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    06-30-11 05:42 AM
    If you take the bad reviews of the Touchpad seriously, you have to take the bad reviews of the Playbook seriously.

Apple has captured so much mindshare that it will take something truly exceptional to get a good review.
    bb-bandit likes this.
    06-30-11 08:12 AM
    The issue isnt "half-baked" apps, its native apps. RIM has to get the NDK out so that we can get some programs made specifically for the PB. "Half-baked" apps are everywhere on all OSes because they are quickly put together hence the "half-baked". Add that with no NDK and you see why we are where we are with apps. I will admit some developers have done an excellent job with what they have to work with.
    06-30-11 09:28 AM
    Interesting that the TouchPad is shipping with Kindle app onboard. And Angry Birds is in their AppStore. The Endgadget guy got it right. Blackberry let a bunch of half-baked apps in to bolster numbers.

Really do not understand what is going on with RIM and PB apps. Glad I have my iPad 2 to get me by, but prefer the 7" form factor as a walkaround device.
    What is there not to understand, the WebOS 3.0 SDK has been out since the end of March and the BB Tablet OS SDK is not even in beta yet. You're not going to get the type of apps that you want until the native SDK is out.
    06-30-11 09:28 AM
    I really think WebOS was ahead of everyone upon its launch, years ago. Now the transition between Palm and HP has not let it progress much. It still has some great features, but it sounds like they also missed on quite a few and took a slide backwards on many others. Get rid of gestures? Huh?

I know some people don't like Gizmodo, but they raked it over the coals as well: HP TouchPad Review: Unbreak My Heart

I actually think reviews of the PB were better, much better. Ultimately the PB reviews were better than the first Android tablet reviews and in some cases still are. Samsung seems to have done some good stuff with the most recent Galaxy Tab, but RIM can still catch them (Assuming they keep progressing and don't get too distracted bringing QNX to phones. They need to do both!)

Ultimately RIM and Android makers have to provide an App library to take share away from the iPad. True they need sexy hardware and a great OS, but both have a great start on that.
    06-30-11 09:51 AM
    However, if you google Kindle and Playbook there were announcements in Sept 2010 that Kindle would be on the PB from the start. Just from a business perspective, I wonder, did RIM's deal with KOBO cheese off Amazon, because Amazon did not want to compete on a device that is not iPad or Android OS which are 1&2 in the market with everyone else fighting for 3rd.

The dev tools are one thing. What happened with Amazon smells like something other than technology issues. And I would like to know why this promise is still unfulfilled.
    The Kobo deal could have pissed Amazon off, but I don't think that Amazon sees Kobo as a threat. If the deal had been with B&N, maybe, but I don't think anyone sees the Kobo deal as anything other than one Canadian company throwing another Canadian company a bone. I think Amazon was excited about the PB and thought that since RIM was announcing a device aimmed at professionals, at a developer's conference, that they would be getting the NDK way before the tablet launched. Apparently that didn't happen.
    06-30-11 10:06 AM
    Seriously folks, face the facts. Both RIM and HP have failed with their initial launch. They simply failed in different areas.

The only thing I personally don't understand is why several reviewers rate the Galaxy 10.1 as some sort of 'number 2'. Honeycomb is the clunkiest user experience of all tablet OSes and it barely has any apps.

If someone were to ask me what to buy I'd be forced to say 'iPad 2' but I'd put RIM and HP at choice 2 depending on which things are more important to the user.

B.t.w. RIM is missing another opportunity here. Today or tomorrow would be THE day to release the native PIM and the Android player. That would be a serious extra blow to both HP and the Galaxy 10.1.

Oh well...
    06-30-11 10:24 AM
    B.t.w. RIM is missing another opportunity here. Today or tomorrow would be THE day to release the native PIM and the Android player. That would be a serious extra blow to both HP and the Galaxy 10.1.

Oh well...
    They're not ready yet.
    06-30-11 10:41 AM
    If you take the bad reviews of the Touchpad seriously, you have to take the bad reviews of the Playbook seriously.

Apple has captured so much mindshare that it will take something truly exceptional to get a good review.
    The touchpad is not a fail because of engadget's review. Its a fall for a bunch of other reasons. I still don't get why people repeatedly post non pb stuff here though....
    06-30-11 11:23 AM
    *cough* Endgadget... Apple biased.
    06-30-11 11:27 AM
    Seriously folks, face the facts. Both RIM and HP have failed with their initial launch. They simply failed in different areas.

The only thing I personally don't understand is why several reviewers rate the Galaxy 10.1 as some sort of 'number 2'. Honeycomb is the clunkiest user experience of all tablet OSes and it barely has any apps.

If someone were to ask me what to buy I'd be forced to say 'iPad 2' but I'd put RIM and HP at choice 2 depending on which things are more important to the user.

Oh well...
    Honeycomb 3.1 is really smooth. Also Honeycom has around 400 tablet apps.

The android Player is only for phone apps and alot of them lose alot of the features that made them great in android.
    06-30-11 11:40 AM
    Hah! I like how they referenced the playbook as "often imitated but never quite duplicated" with a link to their playbook review...
    06-30-11 12:05 PM
    Hah! I like how they referenced the playbook as "often imitated but never quite duplicated" with a link to their playbook review...
    But the playbook is a duplicate of webos in general.
    06-30-11 12:27 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD