I gifted one to my girlfriend in India. But the Wifi at her university is messed up. What are other options that can be used to run internet on that device excluding the one Tethring with BB Mobile as she does have a SAMSUNG S 5235.

Appreciate that you read the read.. will be thankful if you can come up with a solution for her.
    01-19-12 02:22 AM
    She can tether using her Samsung phone. It doesn't have to be a Blackberry. Just sync using Bluetooth.
    01-19-12 02:29 AM
    Same here, weak wifi in hostel. Unable to tether via bluetooth wid my galaxy y.
    01-19-12 03:00 AM
    tether using samsung would be better as blackberry server in india is still on 2g and you can get 3g speeds on samsung.
    01-19-12 03:25 AM
    Same here, weak wifi in hostel. Unable to tether via bluetooth wid my galaxy y.
    If she has LAN/ethernet connection in her hostel then get her a router and then the PB can be connected to the internet over the router wifi network.
    Thats takes care part of the issue, but she won't be able to use the PB on the go, as without been bridged/tethered its not possible.
    01-19-12 10:37 AM
    If she has LAN/ethernet connection in her hostel then get her a router and then the PB can be connected to the internet over the router wifi network.
    Thats takes care part of the issue, but she won't be able to use the PB on the go, as without been bridged/tethered its not possible.
    It's a shame that Blackberry didn't allow us the option to use a separate data sim on this beautiful piece of technology. Unfortunately not everyone has wifi everywhere they go and some times data-only sims make more sense. Think the Galaxy 7" tab has had the 3G SIM option from the beginning of it's launch.
    Last edited by sdk1; 01-19-12 at 12:07 PM.
    01-19-12 12:03 PM
    Root the samsung phone and get free wifi tethering. That works. Or if your in Canada or some other country that allows it you can just tether for free. The only time you need a blackberry to "tether" is to get internet via the bluetooth connection rather than wifi.

There is no need for a 3G radio in the playbook. Blackberry owners can bridge, and if you would have payed for a second data plan anyway, you can instead just pay your wireless carrier for a tethering plan for your samsung and do it that way.
    01-19-12 12:40 PM
    I bought a mifi device through TruConnect. I didn't need another contract for more data than I needed (like the one I have on my netbook with a sim card), and they have a pay as you go plan that is very economical.
    01-19-12 01:00 PM
    There is no need for a 3G radio in the playbook. Blackberry owners can bridge, and if you would have payed for a second data plan anyway, you can instead just pay your wireless carrier for a tethering plan for your samsung and do it that way.
    I keep my 9780 on 2G to conserve battery life, even though I have a spare battery always at hand. Prefer to have a phone with some juice in it, for those emergency situations ... I miss my Nokia 6310 which ran a couple of days on a single charge.

I get 1GB bundled with my BIS plan, so I can get a secondary sim for free to utilize that 1GB of data on any tablet or secondary device, this way I don't have to deplete my BB's battery on bridging through bluetooth.
    01-19-12 01:10 PM
    It's a shame that Blackberry didn't allow us the option to use a separate data sim on this beautiful piece of technology. Unfortunately not everyone has wifi everywhere they go and some times data-only sims make more sense. Think the Galaxy 7" tab has had the 3G SIM option from the beginning of it's launch.
    There is a rumor that a PB with 3G capabilities might hit the shelves sometime, then I trust problems for the ones like you describe will be solved.
    01-19-12 02:16 PM
    As if there were no WiFi only iPads...
    01-19-12 02:18 PM
    As if there were no WiFi only iPads...
    wifi only ipads make up like 80ish% of the sales of iPads (ie. most of the ones u see on the street / consumer ones) so ya.

it didnt make sense to make the pb 3g back in April just because there was not much u can do over the web alone and email was to be paired with bb. Now with OS 2 ready for launch in a month it would be a more feasible idea.
    01-19-12 03:49 PM
    I bought a mifi device through TruConnect. I didn't need another contract for more data than I needed (like the one I have on my netbook with a sim card), and they have a pay as you go plan that is very economical.
    About to start a thread about truconnect good thing I saw ur post. How is the connection? Is it reliable? Thinking of getting one because bridge is too slow for me. Thanks.
    01-26-12 08:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD