Hello and happy new year to you all!

In the New Year, I was hoping to have my Playbook 4G LTE on 2.1.0 and have invested quite some time and effort in trying to find out how to accomplish that. Unfortuntely I'm not in Canada and it seems that RIM only allows the easty OTA upgrade to be installed when you're on a Canadian Telco. I was hoping that I would be able to upgrade my 4G LTE from The Netherlands, without having to buy a return ticket to Canada first. I have contacted RIM support about this, but unfortunately they also don't seem to know another way than to just slot in a SIM of one of the selected 3 Canadian Telco's...

To upgrade the Playbook, my latest attempts were to upgrade it using CFP, but I always ended up with an issue that didn't allow me to get it running the way I wanted to:
    - 2.1.0.1032: Android player and facebook settings from account settings page isn't working
    - 2.1.0.1088: Seems to be a patch only, which can't be loaded with CFP
    - 2.1.0.1314: CFP reports an "out of range" error during writing and the Playbook won't boot anymore.

Oh, one the reason why I would like to upgrade: The Android runner is working much better on 2.1.0 and may be able to run an android application I developed recently. It was reported that the 2.1.0 version may run things, the 2.0.1 version couldn't. Another example is e.g. Plex, which seems to be running from on 2.1.0 and higher as welll: Plex for the BlackBerry PlayBook now available - Stream your personal media, Netflix and more! | CrackBerry.com.

Is there anyone that has a good hint on how to get a 2.1.0 OS loaded offline on the Playbook, or to somehow fool the Playbook in thinking that the 2.1.0 OS can be downloaded OTA?
    Much appeciated!

Jan
    01-01-13 08:37 AM
    You can try using a Proxy IP address in a country where the Update is available. See if that works.

Here's 2 examples:

How to Use a Proxy on your Playbook ← Open Source BlackBerry – OSBB
    01-01-13 09:15 AM
    01-01-13 09:16 AM
    Good luck with that. I'm sure that others will also want to know how to accomplish this once privately imported 4g become more popular.
    01-01-13 09:34 AM
    The first thing is that not all the telcos will give you any update. Rogers in the only one I know of for sure. The current version for the LTE is .1088. The .1314 is not available yet as far as I know. A Rogers sim card (doesn't need to be activated) should work from anywhere. People have reported upgrade from the US with the LTE Rogers sim card.

Note: If your LTE PlayBook is not a Rogers version it will have to be unlocked before you can use a Rogers sim card. You also might still need to use DM to update from another country.
    01-01-13 09:43 AM
    Here is what I plan on trying with a friend.

Buy a Rodgers prepaid SIM from ebay. (Many available - and cost about $5). Sign up for a Prepaid Blackberry plan (they have two $30 and $50). Stick the SIM into the Playbook and then try and get the update.

Obvious downsides - you have to spend money. I travel to Canada all the time, and will use the Prepaid SIM in my BB9810 in order to avoid Roaming charges. Not everyone will want to do this.
    01-01-13 01:31 PM
    The proxy probably doesn't work, because it's really looking at the operator ID of the SIM that's installed. I really like the idea by leejayh to just get a SIM card and see what happens. I have the feeling that you may not even need to sign up for a plan, it could be that reading the operator id of the SIM card would already suffice...

I've ordered a SIM card through eBay as well. Let's see if this works
    Last edited by zonique; 01-01-13 at 06:03 PM.
    01-01-13 05:50 PM
    Just wanted to let you know that I have received a Rogers sim today. After inserting the sim, but without even connecting to anything else than wifi, my Playbook proposed to do an OTA upgrade. Nice
    01-12-13 11:29 AM