Although we know that the new OS 2.1 update for the LTE PlayBook was released that week, we also know how limitted that release was. It seems that only Rogers has released the update and Bell and Telus are still in no mans land.

Well here is the good news. The release is not a device specific update. It's a carrier one. This means as long as you put an acitve Micro LTE Rogers sim card in your PlayBook you can hit the update button and get it. Your PlayBook will have to be unlocked in order to use a Rogers sim unless it is a Rogers PlayBook.

Now the tricky part. You need to find someone with an LTE Micro Rogers sim card. There's not a lot of device out right now that use them.
    The second part is you will also need WiFi access after you receive the notification in order to download it. So if you are going to try to use a stores active Demo sim you will also need to have a mobile WiFi hotspot. Just so you know it will still take about a half hour to go through the process so if you are going to try that route be very kind to staff. They don't have to do it.

So there it is for the grabbing. All you need is an unlocked PlayBook from any carrier and a Rogers Micro LTE sim card along with WiFi access.

Unlock Bell PlayBook with a Telus sim running OS 2.1.0.1088.
    the brother likes this.
    11-26-12 01:40 PM
    Do we know why the update is limited to Rogers?
    11-27-12 01:12 AM
    Like the manufacturers of most smartphones, Research in Motion (RIM) distribute updates and upgrades to all service providers offering the product...

It's then up to individual service providers as to whether they will offer the update/upgrade or not.

Of course, service providers will base their decision on a number of factors including (but not limited to) age of the device, number of customers/potential customers using the device, demand for the update or upgrade, time required to test the update/upgrade for quality assurance prior to distribution and other factors...

Sent from my BlackBerry Curve 9320, using Tapatalk.
    11-27-12 01:42 AM
    I was surprised to finally see the upgrade icon on my Rogers. So far this seems very nice on the LTE.
    11-27-12 10:58 PM
    I agree. It's a very good update. All the issues I had are all gone. My PlayBook is running smoother than ever. No more hotspotting my phone to make video calls. The texting is much better than the "SMS Bridge" app that I was using. It's like getting a new device all over again.
    11-28-12 02:35 PM
    dudes, when i opened video chat all my contacts had disappeared! what the eff? anyone else have this issue??
    11-28-12 03:54 PM
    dudes, when i opened video chat all my contacts had disappeared! what the eff? anyone else have this issue??
    Yes. I think the update to 4G use cleared the contacts.
    11-28-12 06:42 PM