Last night by accident I discovered that on my PB running 2.1, I tapped on the battery icon in the top right and found that I can power off the device from the drop-down menu without having to hold down the power button (which I still find very stiff). I was unhappy that they removed the icon from the desktop but I didn't know that it still is there, albeit in a different location. If you know this already, my apologies for nothing new but maybe there are others like myself who weren't aware of this capability.
    10-19-12 09:45 AM
    It's been that way since OS 2.0 came out last February or so.
    10-19-12 10:02 AM
    As stated its been there. But have to say, Why turn off your PB. I leave mine on all the time. Only been off for reboot when Updated an OS. It goes on standby when on the charger.
    10-19-12 10:06 AM
    This has been in the PB software since day 1 and people are just now finding out?
    dave1701 likes this.
    10-19-12 10:09 AM
    Geez. All I did was post something that I thought might be helpful to someone else. No need to jump down my (or anyone else's) throat! If RIM had included any kind of printed documentation on how to use the device(s), then perhaps I would have already known about this. But they (and no other carrier) bother to provide any form of documentation.
    jweihrauch likes this.
    10-19-12 10:18 AM
    As stated its been there. But have to say, Why turn off your PB. I leave mine on all the time. Only been off for reboot when Updated an OS. It goes on standby when on the charger.
    Mine gets very hot if I leave it on all the time. But that wasn't the point of this thread.
    10-19-12 10:19 AM
    It's been that way since OS 2.0 came out last February or so.
    That may be well and good, but I didn't know about it until now, and there may be at least 1 other person who wasn't aware of it too.
    10-19-12 10:20 AM
    Geez. All I did was post something that I thought might be helpful to someone else. No need to jump down my (or anyone else's) throat! If RIM had included any kind of printed documentation on how to use the device(s), then perhaps I would have already known about this. But they (and no other carrier) bother to provide any form of documentation.
    Calm down andy, no one here is saying its a bad post. As for the print out or manual, you can find it here.

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...282-2.1-en.pdf
    10-19-12 10:24 AM
    Mine gets very hot if I leave it on all the time. But that wasn't the point of this thread.
    I have no problem with the occasional refresher course.

But, I don't think you pb should be running hot. That does not sound normal. How does it do on Standby overnight? It should not lose more than 3-5% when not in use overnight. Manual sync of Native email can cause battery drain. So can some sideloaded Android apps that don't behave well even if they are not shown as running. Another test - left it drop into standby and go into a dark closet or room and see if the screen is really off and not a backlit dark gray.
    10-19-12 11:31 AM
    Hm. How did you adjust the screen brightness if you never tapped the battery icon before?
    10-19-12 11:40 AM
    Don't worry about it mate!
    It's ok if you just found out about it.

Yes there's no printed instructions covering this, but in the Help App on the playbook, it goes over how to Shut Down this way via the Battery and Power section. RIM didn't ram it down our throats to read the whole help section but if you're a "read all instructions" kind of guy then probably should have went through all this.

Glad you discovered it all the same. And hope you enjoy all the Playbook has to offer.
    10-19-12 12:02 PM
    Hm. How did you adjust the screen brightness if you never tapped the battery icon before?
    You can also do that in the settings menu.
    10-19-12 12:14 PM
    There is a SETTINGS MENU!!!?
    mikeplus1, Qaxl and Wired5s like this.
    10-19-12 12:17 PM
    Andy, thanks for posting. I forgot about this option.
    10-19-12 12:21 PM
    If your PB is getting hot just sitting idle, I'd suspect there is an issue with your PB. Given the long boot time of the device, I don't believe it was BB's intention that these be powered off too frequently.
    10-19-12 12:21 PM
    So you've never checked to see the % of battery you have? Never adjusted the brightness level on your device. I'm pretty sure there is documentation on this somewhere. If you didn't sound so genuinely surprised i'd probably think ur really bored and just started the thread
    10-19-12 12:39 PM
    Thanks Andy.. I just got a playbook about a week ago and was wondering how to do that. Glad everyone else knows soooo much about everything. They almost sound like Isnobes.
    10-19-12 12:45 PM
    Not sure if you're being serious or not, but if so, yes there is. Tap the gear icon next to the battery icon or else swipe down from the top bezel at the home screen.
    10-19-12 12:52 PM
    Just kidding. Sawry
    10-19-12 12:57 PM
    online 2.1 manual link in my signature, and also links to the 2.0 and keyboard pdf`s
    10-19-12 01:01 PM
    Okay, now ^^^THAT^^^ was funny! BTW, just spewed coffee on my keyboard, thanks!
    10-19-12 01:04 PM
    Thanks Andy.. I just got a playbook about a week ago and was wondering how to do that. Glad everyone else knows soooo much about everything. They almost sound like Isnobes.
    A weeks ownership is excusable. The OP remembers an actual power icon on the PB which means he was running OS 1 at some point. And, as I said earlier, OS 2 has been out for about 8 months now, so it seems a bit far fetched that in those 8 months that he hasn't tapped on the battery icon, either out of curiosity or just by accident. Unless, of course, he hasn't been using it for the past 8 months.
    10-19-12 01:22 PM
    A weeks ownership is excusable. The OP remembers an actual power icon on the PB which means he was running OS 1 at some point. And, as I said earlier, OS 2 has been out for about 8 months now, so it seems a bit far fetched that in those 8 months that he hasn't tapped on the battery icon, either out of curiosity or just by accident. Unless, of course, he hasn't been using it for the past 8 months.
    LOL! I hadn't thought about that. The home screen power icon hasn't been around for awhile because it didn't behave itself. But I guess everybody isn't like me....I touch and swipe everything just to see what I can find.
    10-19-12 01:32 PM

How fast is the drain on your battery when you do not turn it off? I bet you charge it more frequently as a result of this.
    10-19-12 02:59 PM

How fast is the drain on your battery when you do not turn it off? I bet you charge it more frequently as a result of this.
    It's on the charging stand when i'm not using it. I have one at home and at work.

Amazon.com: Blackberry Rapid Charging Stand for Playbook - Retail Packaging - Black: Computers & Accessories
    10-19-12 03:01 PM
28 12