Hey everyone.

I just set up my 64 GB PlayBook and LOVE it!!

I know there's a how-to video on this, but in the video the demonstrator uses a Mac. I'm not too good with computers. Can someone please explain to me in layman's terms how to set up wifi transfers on my Windows 7 comp?

Does DM always have to be on? Do I do it through DM, or through the Windows 7 My Computer folder?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Q4L

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-11 08:50 PM
    I didn't really have to set-up anything. If you click on your windows icon then computer it should be listed under network(bottom left). I can only do with password protect turned off on the playbook. If I turn on password protect windows ask for my username and password. I don't know what that username would be. Good luck.

04-19-11 09:03 PM
    Man... Im lost!!
    04-19-11 09:16 PM
    yes exactly under network you get the playbook!!
    04-19-11 09:21 PM
    it was very simple and you can use password protected.

under settings on the playbook:
    - Select "Storage & Sharing."

you need to set up your password/user id - that's under network identification. Make sure you input the correct workgroup name and set up your username as well.

turn wi-fi sharing/password protect on.

I only plugged my playbook in once so the drivers could be installed. Since then, I've been transferring files via wi-fi. I also updated the desktop software before installing the playbook.
    04-19-11 09:23 PM
    a quick and easy way to open your playbook folder over wifi after enabling it is to open computer, change the folder to \\playbookname where playbook name is the network name you gave your device. This should work in all versions of windows, if you set a password it will prompt. The default user was playbook for me which I changed.
    owlsowls likes this.
    04-19-11 09:52 PM
    The default username is "playbook" Mine was at least and you just create a password and access it through the network tab. Then just drag and drop whatever you want. It's a breeze!
    04-19-11 09:55 PM
    If you are on a win 7 computer joined to a domain, when you access a playbook password protected share, you may be prompted for a workgroup username and password. If your username and password doesn't work, try:
    1) WORKGROUP\username
    2) \username
    3) Connect to the \\<ipaddress> instead of the named share \\<name>.

The last one worked for me.

RE: Logging in to Non-Domain Network Share from computer on Domain
    04-20-11 08:34 PM
    I have problem with Wifi sharing. When I connect with usb cable it shows under network but when I disconnect it disappers. I cannot transfer the file from my win 7 to the plabook.

Thanks,
    05-04-11 01:51 PM
    So let me clear this up for myself. Does this allow for remotely accessing your PCs files from your Playbook? And if not, why wouldn't one just plug up their device as a mass storage device to drag and drop media?
    05-04-11 02:34 PM
    I didn't really have to set-up anything. If you click on your windows icon then computer it should be listed under network(bottom left). I can only do with password protect turned off on the playbook. If I turn on password protect windows ask for my username and password. I don't know what that username would be. Good luck.

Make sure your network permissions on Windows 7 are changed and you shouldn't have any issues. If you open your Network and Sharing Center, then on the right hand side click on the "Change advanced sharing settings" and make sure you turn them off, but only on the current network type you are connected to because you want them on if you are on a public network.
    05-04-11 02:39 PM
    So let me clear this up for myself. Does this allow for remotely accessing your PCs files from your Playbook? And if not, why wouldn't one just plug up their device as a mass storage device to drag and drop media?
    Yes. I can sit in my living room downstairs with the PB and transfer files to/from the computer upstairs WIRELESSLY.
    05-04-11 02:48 PM
    Yes. I can sit in my living room downstairs with the PB and transfer files to/from the computer upstairs WIRELESSLY.
    I know I can PUT and DELETE files onto my PlayBook wirelessly from my Win7 laptop, but I didnt think you could see your laptop from the PB???
    05-04-11 02:52 PM
    Opppsssss. I believe you are right - one-way only.
    05-04-11 02:58 PM
    Nope, its only 1 way, not 2 way file transfer. You have to be at your pc to transfer files, it just gives you the freedom of not plugging in your pb to the pc. Or say, your pc is upstairs and your gf wants to watch a video or movie, you she can stay downstairs with the pb while you run upstairs and access the pb and move the video on the pb
    05-04-11 03:00 PM
    I have problem with Wifi sharing. When I connect with usb cable it shows under network but when I disconnect it disappers. I cannot transfer the file from my win 7 to the plabook.

Thanks,
    Same here. Tried mapping network drive using ip address for playbook as I've seen described in some tutorials. Still doesn't work. Only way I can connect is with USB cable.
    05-04-11 03:35 PM
    Same here. Tried mapping network drive using ip address for playbook as I've seen described in some tutorials. Still doesn't work. Only way I can connect is with USB cable.
    I also had the same problem. I am running windows 7. I went to this page and followed the suggestions and it works well (had to turn off password protect on the playbook though).
    How to Transfer Files Between PlayBook and PC over WiFi | BlackBerry
    06-02-11 09:42 AM
    Has anyone been able to network windows7 "starter" to the PB?
    06-02-11 11:38 PM
    This is how its done. It worked for me. I'm on Windows 7.

On Your PlayBook

1. Go into settings (swipe down from home or tap settings icon).
    2. Go into "Storage and Sharing"
    3. Turn "File Sharing" and "Wifi Sharing" to On.

4. Turn "Password Protect" to On. Note the password. You will need this later.
    5. Tap "Properties" button under "Network Identification". Write down the username You will need this to log in to your device.
    6. Tap "Back"
    7. Go into "Wifi"
    8. You should be connected to your network for this to work.
    9. The lower section there are 3 icons. (wifi icon with question mark, "connect Manually", and "Use WPS")
    10. Tap the Wifi icon that has a question mark.

11. You should now be in the "Wifi Status" screen. You need to find your device's IP address.
    12. Select "Internet Connection" under the "Diagnostic Information" drop down.

13. Write down you "IP Address" number. You will need this.
    14. You can not exit out of Settings.

On Your Windows 7 Machine

1. Go into Start
    2. Type "Run" into search for programs
    3. Hit enter. The "Run dialogue will pop up.
    4. VERY IMPORTANT: Type \\
    5. Then type: your up address (192.111.11.111) something like that
    6. Click "OK"
    7. You will be prompted to enter a username and password. This is what you wrote down earlier. Type that in.
    8. You now have wireless access to your BlackBerry PlayBook.
    9. Then just copy/paste whatever files you want

Good luck!
    07-11-11 12:44 PM
    Great instructions, now how do you access files from windows 7 to playbook?
    07-11-11 01:22 PM
    Great instructions, now how do you access files from windows 7 to playbook?
    Already answered. Look at page 1.

Nope, its only 1 way, not 2 way file transfer. You have to be at your pc to transfer files, it just gives you the freedom of not plugging in your pb to the pc. Or say, your pc is upstairs and your gf wants to watch a video or movie, you she can stay downstairs with the pb while you run upstairs and access the pb and move the video on the pb
    07-11-11 02:20 PM
    i am sorry, I did read that you could not Transfer files from computer to PB but I thought you could view the files on computer from PB. Page 1 was very confusing to me.
    07-11-11 02:45 PM
    This is how its done. It worked for me. I'm on Windows 7.

On Your PlayBook

1. Go into settings (swipe down from home or tap settings icon).
    2. Go into "Storage and Sharing"
    3. Turn "File Sharing" and "Wifi Sharing" to On.
    Click to view quoted image

4. Turn "Password Protect" to On. Note the password. You will need this later.
    5. Tap "Properties" button under "Network Identification". Write down the username You will need this to log in to your device.Click to view quoted image

6. Tap "Back"
    7. Go into "Wifi"
    8. You should be connected to your network for this to work.
    9. The lower section there are 3 icons. (wifi icon with question mark, "connect Manually", and "Use WPS")
    10. Tap the Wifi icon that has a question mark.

11. You should now be in the "Wifi Status" screen. You need to find your device's IP address.
    12. Select "Internet Connection" under the "Diagnostic Information" drop down.

13. Write down you "IP Address" number. You will need this.
    14. You can not exit out of Settings.

On Your Windows 7 Machine

1. Go into Start
    2. Type "Run" into search for programs
    3. Hit enter. The "Run dialogue will pop up.
    4. VERY IMPORTANT: Type \\
    5. Then type: your up address (192.111.11.111) something like that
    6. Click "OK"
    7. You will be prompted to enter a username and password. This is what you wrote down earlier. Type that in.
    8. You now have wireless access to your BlackBerry PlayBook.
    9. Then just copy/paste whatever files you want

Good luck!
    OK that works as a 'work around' but how do I get it to auto connect ? USB works flawlessly, but can't get my PB mapped to the network (via wifi ) without manually entering the IP address each time.
    01-11-12 06:48 PM
    Your method worked for me. However, once the Playbook goes to sleep the IP address vanishes from the network list and I have to repeat those steps again?

I named my Playbook HENTAIPLAYBOOK and it reads on the network but when I try to connect to it it gives me the "Windows can not access //HENTAIPLAYBOOK" message. I just want it to work the way its supposed to without having to go to the Run command.
    01-24-12 11:46 PM
    Did you check the option in the PB wifi settings to "Saved Networks"?
    01-24-12 11:55 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD