I just picked up a Playbook, liking it a lot for general use, mostly reading, browsing - definitely not a gaming rig aside from some angry birds...

Quick question about this product. Is there anyway at all to sync the device calendar with Outlook?? For some weird reason I can't even transfer my BB calendar entries using the bridge function. What the??? Am I missing a step or two??

Running current (?) OS - I was forced to update when i turned it on - 2.0.1.358

Cheers
    08-25-12 09:45 AM
    Hi upset

Lots of threads on this, lots of ways to sync your Outlook calendar. Have a quick search on the forum

Congrats on getting a PB

Alex
    08-25-12 09:48 AM
    ok... thanks & thanks.

****EDIT:

Ok, this is kinda weird. No way to sync data unless one uses some "cloud" service (hotmail, gmail, what-have-you-mail)....
    ... and it seems different cloud services for different things - best to use hotmail for contacts, while google for the calendar.

Different strokes for different folks.

This is ... disappointing (to say the least and said "diplomatically").

I can understand, from a security and privacy perspective, that the bridged calendar/contacts are not integrated into the PB from a BB device, but by the same token if one wishes to sync info bypassing "cloud" services for the same reason (privacy/security) there ought to be a way for directly transferring such data between computer and the hardware, just as simply as with a regular BB. Not everyone has access to exchange servers either.

I really hope this is something the folks at RIM are working on as a fix. This is a primary reason why I didn't bother with Android devices - due to difficulty in transferring contact/calendar data between standalone computer and device directly as opposed to using "cloud" services (google information-vaccuum-sucker in particular).
    Last edited by upset; 08-25-12 at 10:41 AM.
    08-25-12 09:58 AM
    You can do it by setting up an outlook.com account. I assume if you sync this new account to your PC, everything will sync. Currently i use an outlook.com account to sync my phone contacts to the PlayBook native contacts.
    08-25-12 10:16 AM
    Well that's what I meant. There's no way to sync the data directly between the PB and my computer, same as I do now with my BB (PC -> BB -> PC), bypassing any online or "cloud" services (outlook, google, yahoo, what-have-you)...
    08-25-12 10:58 AM
    If I have read similar posts correctly, it is my understanding that NO tablet can sync Outlook directly and that includes IPad and the myriad of Android devices out there. I don't know about Windows based tablets. Perhaps you should be upset with Microsoft as well?
    08-25-12 11:34 AM
    Why is it possible to sync a BB with Outlook then? Androids can't sync directly with Outlook, BB's can.
    Why wouldn't that be possible for a Playbook?

There must be some sort of explanation here.

All I'd like to do is do a direct PB <-> PC data sync (calendar and/or contacts) ... no cloud.
    08-25-12 11:52 AM
    Look for it in a future update
    kolok likes this.
    08-25-12 12:00 PM
    Why is it possible to sync a BB with Outlook then? Androids can't sync directly with Outlook, BB's can.

All I'd like to do is do a direct PB <-> PC data sync (calendar and/or contacts) ... no cloud.
    Oh... You mean MS Outlook 2007/2010 and not Outlook.com!!! I was getting really confused about this thread.

Well, sadly, right now, the PB can't sync to MS Outlook via Desktop Software. But like BB-Bmore said, we can hope for a next update.
    08-25-12 02:06 PM

BB phones don't use bb10 software. PB uses QNX (soon to be called bb10 software.)

This is a huge frustration to me too. But, Blackberry RIMM is focused on bb10 software now - as they should be.

If you sync your phone to Outlook, you should be able to access it thru bridge? All my contacts show just fine for me? They just don't show in native contacts.
    08-25-12 03:21 PM
    I know this isn't exactly what you want, but I get my Outlook calendar on my 9930 and my PlayBook by syncing the Outlook calendar with Google calendar, and then syncing Google calendar with my BlackBerry devices. I always have my BlackBerry calendars up to date.
    08-25-12 06:53 PM
    I felt the same way a year ago when I got my phone and being a heavy outlook user was surprised by this at the time. I did get very use to the bridge feature and don't need or use the native apps on pb for contacts or email. To your point, upset, it always seemed odd to me also that this wasn't resolved somehow at least with a sync on the desktop or something. I think a lot of people just got away from using Outlook and maybe rim doesn't see it as an issue. If you use the bridge though I think you will be satisfied. That way data will stay synced on your phone in one place. One less thing to try to keep in sync.
    08-25-12 09:04 PM
    Description : outlook.com
    Domain: can ignore this
    username: [email protected]
    Email Address: [email protected]
    password: your Password
    Server Address: dub-m.Microsoft.com
    use ssl = yes
    push = yes

etc
    etc

hope this helps someone!
    09-04-12 01:55 PM
    I had the same issues. I really wanted to move away from Google. I'm currently using Syncamatic app on my Bold and the Syncamatic addin in Outlook on my desktop. Syncamatic is fast. It syncs my outlook to a cloud service that I can access via the web. My Bold syncs to the web and everything works. As an adde benefit, there are features in Syncamatic to find our phone, remotely lock your phone, etc. Syncamatic - Wirelessly Sync Your BlackBerry, Mac and PC.
    09-08-12 09:32 AM
    Does synamatic also work on the Playbook
    09-08-12 10:04 AM
    Description : outlook.com
    Domain: can ignore this
    username: [email protected]
    Email Address: [email protected]
    password: your Password
    Server Address: dub-m.Microsoft.com
    use ssl = yes
    push = yes

etc
    etc

hope this helps someone!
    What type of account did you pick to set this up with?
    09-08-12 10:30 AM
    Id also recommend using Gmail as a medium. Having it sync that way with Outlook seems to be an easy way to get it done.
    If thats what you're after id recommend EVO Collaborator for Outlook, its a small add-in for Outlook.

Connect your PB with Gmail and sync Gmail with Outlook and voila~
    03-17-15 03:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD