Did anyone figure out if this eats at your download limit? If you're on the same network as the computer...does it first send it out to the internet and then download it again?
    04-25-11 12:12 PM
    it's fantastic! works perfectly, thanks!! I foolishly thought i'd be able to play movies i have bout on itunes. That didn't work but everything else did. It found the movie but it played all screwed up and in triple time. Can someone confirm that itunes movies will not play or is there something i have to do. i figured it can't cuz of flash. Thanks.
    04-25-11 12:12 PM
    so loving this even though no itunes movies (since nobody has answered me from above post), but I am having the issue mentioned above with regards to the screen going to sleep. Playbook doesn't have an option to "never" put screen to sleep. Longest setting is 5 min> Is there a setting within orb cuz i couldn't find it. It's kind of annoying for the screen to go off during a movie.

Thanks for the help.
    mpcook likes this.
    04-25-11 01:18 PM
    Also, if you have a TV Tuner hooked up to your computer, you can stream live TV to the PlayBook. I used to do this all the time with my Tour. It works really really well! And, if you have a webcam on your computer, you can access it if you set the permissions correctly and spy through you laptop's webcam from anywhere. I used to set my laptop up in front of my dog when he was a puppy to see if he was barking the whole time I left him (I lived in a condo)....
    04-25-11 01:49 PM
    Using orb can you stream digital copies to your playbook?
    04-25-11 02:02 PM
    How-To: Stream Video/Music from your Mac/PC to your Playbook

I've put together a little video here showing how to use Orb to stream your movies/tv shows and music from your computer.

First step is to get Orb from here (it's free for both Mac and Windows) and get it installed and set up.
    Download - Orb

Video link:

As an update, Ive created an Orb launcher app, that you can run from your homescreen and contains shortcuts at the top to the different categories. It always keeps the backlight on so you dont need to change your settings before watching a video or tapping the screen. Ill be submitting it to AppWorld tonight, so hopefully it will be available in the next week or 2.

Question, I don't have the file browser like you do, Is that a paid feature?
    04-26-11 02:24 PM
    figured it out.. thanks!!
    I haven't been able to get it to work with my mac. After initial setup and enabling remote access the Orb icon stays orange and no longer does anything when you click it.
    04-26-11 03:57 PM
    Rim need to give the Playbook the ability to browse network shares natively. The only reason it is crippled is so that they can make $$$ selling the devices with larger onboard memory; very Steve Jobs of them.
    Forza4RE likes this.
    04-26-11 04:47 PM
    Post of the week! Thanks Shao128
    04-26-11 05:14 PM
    shao, you rock buddy, nice post. just made the playbook that much more lovable.
    easy set up and your walk through was perfect.

thank you
    04-26-11 06:48 PM
    Glad I saved money getting the 16g, no need for more with this. Thank you!!
    04-26-11 06:53 PM
    How do I keep it playing. It keeps timing out when the PB goes into standby?
    04-26-11 07:03 PM
    darknight, if you figure it out let us know...lol i've been playing around can't find that , PB times out after 5 min won't let you choose anything past that.
    04-26-11 07:44 PM
    I guess I'll just have to find more to do on my PB to keep it playing.
    04-26-11 08:04 PM
    This takes my PB experience to a brand new level. Thanks!

I'm streaming How to Make it in America via my tethered T-Mobile 9780!

I recorded it on my BB but I can't upload it because its 5Mb...
    04-26-11 08:35 PM
    How-To: Stream Video/Music from your Mac/PC to your Playbook

I've put together a little video here showing how to use Orb to stream your movies/tv shows and music from your computer.

First step is to get Orb from here (it's free for both Mac and Windows) and get it installed and set up.
    Download - Orb

Video link:

As an update, Ive created an Orb launcher app, that you can run from your homescreen and contains shortcuts at the top to the different categories. It always keeps the backlight on so you dont need to change your settings before watching a video or tapping the screen. Ill be submitting it to AppWorld tonight, so hopefully it will be available in the next week or 2.

very very useful post thx verry much
    04-26-11 08:50 PM
    Ok, again with this question been asked in here more than once:

IF you are on the same network, lan, does it send out the stream over the net and then back in or do you stream directly from device to device?

Thanks.
    04-26-11 08:52 PM
    anyone else having a hard time downloading instead of just streaming? i push to download and nothing happens???
    04-26-11 08:55 PM
    anyone else having a hard time downloading instead of just streaming? i push to download and nothing happens???
    Both work fine for me.

I have noticed that when I stream it wont start until it has downloaded completely. I have to manually start the song while it is buffering. Hope that makes sense...
    04-26-11 09:03 PM
    Here's a quick YouTube video I took with my BB of my PB streaming a video through ORB:
    04-26-11 09:08 PM
    Ok, again with this question been asked in here more than once:

IF you are on the same network, lan, does it send out the stream over the net and then back in or do you stream directly from device to device?

Thanks.
    lol... im with you on this one... can anyone answer?
    04-26-11 11:02 PM
    If you are on the same network, Orb will usually create a system-to-system stream using the local network, however, if you're outside the local network, or if there is intense port blocking, it will jump the signal to Orb's server first.
    04-27-11 01:53 AM
    Thanks for this !!! Works great .... (but doesn't stream DTS... )

An app might be nice .... so that "sleep" can be temporarily disabled.

If there was a way to stream from SLINGBOX, this would be even better. No point waiting for SlingBox to do something...
    04-27-11 04:07 AM
    This is EXTREMELY incredible.

This OP deserves a very high ranking and reward. Just WOW!!
    04-27-11 04:56 AM
    Just an update, I submitted the Orb launcher (see first post) to AppWorld, so hopefully it will be approved shortly.
    MisterMe11 and tstrike34 like this.
    04-27-11 07:54 AM
112 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD