Guys, please help. i have a very wierd issue. At first orb was working fine on OSX, after a restart, everything just stopped where it was, the streaming stopped. I dont see a orb icon on the status bar at the top, and when i click on the orb application it says "orb is already running on your computer" but even so i am not able to connect to the server through my playbook... is anyone else facing this issue ? can some one help with the possible solution ? i have restarted again n again but its still the same till the end.
    05-09-11 11:51 PM
    Hey guys,

This is an awesome solution for all playbook owners. Thanks Op.

I have downloaded and installed the ORB Caster on my mac and everything went smooth. I downloaded the ORB Launcher on my playbook.

Now the issue I'm having is how do i log in? Do I have to pay ORB for an account? Sorry if this a noob question. But do I need to be an existing customer of ORB to use this service?

Thanks.
    05-20-11 12:54 PM
    I have installed Orb on my W7 pc & my PB. It works really really well! Yes, I had to set up a login ID & password for Orb but there is no payment involved.

Probably like skype, they are hoping to attract users to the basic functionality, hoping that at least some of them will pay for premium services later.
    05-20-11 01:28 PM
    I have installed Orb on my W7 pc & my PB. It works really really well! Yes, I had to set up a login ID & password for Orb but there is no payment involved.

Probably like skype, they are hoping to attract users to the basic functionality, hoping that at least some of them will pay for premium services later.
    Where can i go to setup a login id/password?

Thanks
    05-20-11 01:44 PM
    Thanks for this youtube downloading link this is awesome!
    05-20-11 02:33 PM
    Where can i go to setup a login id/password?

Thanks
    Can anybody throw some light on this???
    05-21-11 12:25 AM
    anyone else having a hard time downloading instead of just streaming? i push to download and nothing happens???
    Same here ..... haven't found a solution so far!
    05-27-11 04:46 AM
    Does anyone else have problems with Orb continuing to play? Mine stops frequently after one or two songs and will load the next song but not start it automatically. Thoughts?

Matt
    06-09-11 05:43 PM
    Can anybody throw some light on this???
    D/l it for your PC/mac (Download - Orb) and launch it and go to the accounts tab/button to setup a new account
    06-09-11 05:46 PM
    Cool, another project...
    06-09-11 06:03 PM
    Has anyone tried using "Go to My PC" on PB to access your PC remotely and play video content ? I do not have an account but if this works may be I will sign up..
    06-09-11 06:12 PM
    Has anyone tried using "Go to My PC" on PB to access your PC remotely and play video content ? I do not have an account but if this works may be I will sign up..
    Requires Java which the browser doesn't have yet
    naudurivsm likes this.
    06-09-11 06:23 PM
    Thanks TheScionicman..

i thought so. but certainly this is like most wanted feature/functionality for me on PB.
    06-09-11 06:28 PM
    Thanks for the info. This takes care of one of my two must have apps. The other being Windows messenger. If Rim would port through the instant messaging including texting I don't think I would ever need to take out my phone. Bluetooth would take care of answering calls. As far as this app goes, it is working. The resolution isn't there yet but it is improving. I'm not interesting in streaming my videos and music. The only thing I cared about was access to live tv and this delivers. I'm using a tuner card and it is working over both wifi and 3G.
    08-13-11 10:58 PM
    Thank you Shao for this port.
    I was able to setup ORB and download your app from App world and using it now.

Now technical part:
    I waiting till I know that when streaming within the same network, it wont use internet.

1. I can stream now from my PC as Flash files. However, the quality is very very low even for the Playbook. When it start its horrible and then it improves a lot.
    but is there any way to make it better, so it looks watchable when I connect TV to PB or even on PB itself.
    Right now, my streaming setting says "ask each time", but what would be the best bay to make it stream in better quality?

2. Also, when I view pictures, it doesn't come in full screen, is there any way to do settings to make it look in full screen and can we change the time it takes to change each pictures?

3. Can I view documents and files using ORB?
    rjedge54 likes this.
    09-29-11 10:34 PM
    I am guessing this doesn't work with the PB bridged. Am I correct in that assumption?
    09-30-11 06:02 PM
    I have a WD external connected to my router, will ORB allow me to access and stream my files?
    09-30-11 08:34 PM
    very cool! Thanks!!

Update: hmm. i just ran into a problem. so as i'm streaming a song right now after 2 mins or so my playbook times out and goes to sleep if i'm not doing anything on it. The song is running in the background but as the 2 mins comes the playbook goes to sleep mode by itself and the song stops playing. Obviously when you are listening to a song a lot of the times that's all you are doing and not browsing the internet or doing whatever else on the playbook. How do I get it to stream in the background without stopping when the playbook "sleeps."
    what i do is open up one my Clock apps that does not allow my PB go to sleep. i keep it plugged to a charge when doing this. its great, i see the clock and listen to my tunes...
    09-30-11 09:11 PM
    I am guessing this doesn't work with the PB bridged. Am I correct in that assumption?

i discovered this thread about a week ago and haven't stopped using orb since. thanks for the great app!!

then tonight a light bulb went off in my head, can i use this with PB bridged to my 9900??

YEP, SURE CAN!!! amazing.

H+ Rogers network streams audio perfectly. an "HDTV" .avi rip plays without buffering after loading for about 20 seconds. the video quality is about the same as watching same file on SD tv. (so not great) however, an .mkv rip looks about as good as what an .avi HDTV file SHOULD look like when played on local network. and again, after about 20 seconds of loading it played flawlessly with no buffering.

big thing for me is the audio. not like i'm going to start streaming 2gig movies over bridge and eating into my 6gig/month data plan.

again, amazing.
    10-11-11 12:03 AM
    well ive been an apple guy for a very long time and have had an iphone and ipad since day one but my 4 year old always has the ipad so i just purchased a playbook at sale. loved it right away but wouldnt connect to my kphone to share internet, so i traded the iphone (and old 3g) for a BB Curve 9300 to use both bridge and sms bridge. Very cool indeed! the only missing thing was media streaming and this works well. its nowhere near as cool as airvideo is on the iOS devices but it works. orb needs more option for text. i cant read enough of the file names to get what i want without stumbling from file to file

i also updated the playbook to the beta OS 2 and orb is still working nicely, including the cool launcher.

now to get myself a new torch.
    Last edited by CanadianThomas; 11-26-11 at 10:55 PM. Reason: typos
    11-26-11 10:53 PM
    i also wnated to make one point. all iOS users feel the need to have video keep playing while checking a message or whatever is not needed and i use to agree untill right now. i have orb streaming some F1 practice coverage and i gota message in, so i let it play and checked the message. being the type of video that i need to hear more than see it was very cool. in fact im doing it right now. loving my playbook and now almost loving orb.
    DAnklaud likes this.
    11-26-11 11:00 PM
    Interesting... believe it or not I was just thinking if there was something like this for the PlayBook and bam, this thread pops up! Thanks!
    11-26-11 11:27 PM
    finally got around to trying this out and it seems to work fantastically. Even bridged it works well. Thanks for the youtube video, it was a big help. Makes me love my pb even more!
    11-27-11 06:14 PM
    So does this work across different wifi connections?
    OMGitworks likes this.
    11-27-11 06:42 PM
    anyone way to get this to update the playcount in iTunes as songs are played?
    12-03-11 03:04 PM
112 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD