Hi everyone. I've gotten a ton of movies from the playbook's video store since the .99 cent movie deals have been going on. The problem for me is that I only have a 16 GB playbook and I can't keep all the movies that I've bought on it- which means I'll have wasted $20 or so on movies that I'll never be able to watch again after January 1st. Is there some place I could store them like on my computer or Box/Dropbox? I'd really love to be able to keep them and just load them onto the playbook when I want to watch them. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm not too good with files and stuff of that nature. Would love for some help on this
    12-12-13 08:24 PM
    Yes just connect your playbook to your pc via usb, navigate to your videos, and move them to your pc. When you want them back on your playbook, just move them back from your pc.
    12-12-13 08:36 PM
    Ok, this won't mess up the licensing or anything right? My main concern is that after the Januray 1st cut off date something will happen to the licenses or whatever and they'll be useless.
    12-12-13 08:43 PM
    Yes just connect your playbook to your pc via usb, navigate to your videos, and move them to your pc. When you want them back on your playbook, just move them back from your pc.
    Ok, this won't mess up the licensing or anything right? My main concern is that after the Januray 1st cut off date something will happen to the licenses or whatever and they'll be useless.
    actually, yes, it will mess up the licensing,,, i drag & dropped my video store movies to pc,,, i just did a wipe & fresh os reinstall,,, it's been a year since i had mine, so it was time, just to get things brandy new snappy,,, when i tried to play the movies after drag & drop back to playbook, i got a popup that said, "you don't have the licensing rights...",,, i had to reinstall from video store,,, i did a backup prior to wipe, so i'm hoping they will reinstall correctly from there if i ever have to,,, otherwise they will be useless after the new year...
    Gooseberry Falls likes this.
    12-14-13 08:59 AM
    actually, yes, it will mess up the licensing,,, i drag & dropped my video store movies to pc,,, i just did a wipe & fresh os reinstall,,, it's been a year since i had mine, so it was time, just to get things brandy new snappy,,, when i tried to play the movies after drag & drop back to playbook, i got a popup that said, "you don't have the licensing rights...",,, i had to reinstall from video store,,, i did a backup prior to wipe, so i'm hoping they will reinstall correctly from there if i ever have to,,, otherwise they will be useless after the new year...
    Yikes, I looked into this further on their help page. The movie licenses are stored in a DRM file on the PB. So if you wipe the PB, that folder is gone. So, we need to do a backup and restore to play the Jan 1 movies after a wipe. The ones that didn't give the Jan 1 deadline can be redownloaded as necessary after a wipe. Everything should be fine if you d/l the .ismv files and place them somewhere/bring them back to PB to play IF you never have to wipe the PB. I tried calling customer service to find the location of the DRM file on the PB. They will be emailing me particulars as she didn't know off hand. I'll update when I get the info. Their ROVI customer service number is 1-877-869-3457. So that explains seawarrior's results.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    12-14-13 12:06 PM
    This thread is very helpful. please keep it updated with what you find. we will be doing the same thing on our 16GB PBs...
    12-14-13 12:24 PM
    Very helpful as this is exactly what I came looking for as I have the same concerns!

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 05:33 AM
    Yikes, I looked into this further on their help page. The movie licenses are stored in a DRM file on the PB. So if you wipe the PB, that folder is gone. So, we need to do a backup and restore to play the Jan 1 movies after a wipe. The ones that didn't give the Jan 1 deadline can be redownloaded as necessary after a wipe. Everything should be fine if you d/l the .ismv files and place them somewhere/bring them back to PB to play IF you never have to wipe the PB. I tried calling customer service to find the location of the DRM file on the PB. They will be emailing me particulars as she didn't know off hand. I'll update when I get the info. Their ROVI customer service number is 1-877-869-3457. So that explains seawarrior's results.
    vids will play after restore from desktop manager confirmed...
    12-15-13 11:12 AM
    Nothing yet on the DRM folder location. Maybe Monday. I'm wondering if that is the reason why bb10 videos from world don't play on the pb and not so much the os difference, e.g. you need the DRM license in addition to the video file and that is only located on the device it was d/l on?
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    12-15-13 12:06 PM
    i have found the easiest thing to do is to save the movies that i download from the playbook store to a separate file in my computer, i name iit playbook movies. i also have a z10 movies folder and a q10 movie folder that way i always have them and can easily transfer them back to either playbook or bb10 phones for watching.

i also have a collection of sd cards with the movies on them for quick use on either bb10 phones. i make use of the hdmi connection quite frequently.

my system works great.

love my Blackberries
    12-15-13 12:27 PM
    i have found the easiest thing to do is to save the movies that i download from the playbook store to a separate file in my computer, i name iit playbook movies. i also have a z10 movies folder and a q10 movie folder that way i always have them and can easily transfer them back to either playbook or bb10 phones for watching.

i also have a collection of sd cards with the movies on them for quick use on either bb10 phones. i make use of the hdmi connection quite frequently.

my system works great.

love my Blackberries
    So, you can play the movies on devices that you did not originally d/l the movies on? From how I understand, when you d/l a movie you get the movie file and license on the device. The movie won't play (license error) without the license file. I suppose it could be one license file that unlocks all the movies...

What we are trying to figure out is if you lose the license file in a wipe, how we can back it up so the movies will always be playable.
    12-15-13 12:37 PM
    i have found the easiest thing to do is to save the movies that i download from the playbook store to a separate file in my computer
    this is what i did/do,,, see posts above,,, make sure you also do a desktop manager backup,,, that way you'll be able to play the movies after a wipe...

, i name iit playbook movies. i also have a z10 movies folder and a q10 movie folder that way i always have them and can easily transfer them back to either playbook or bb10 phones for watching.

my system works great.

love my Blackberries
    So, you can play the movies on devices that you did not originally d/l the movies on? From how I understand, when you d/l a movie you get the movie file and license on the device. The movie won't play (license error) without the license file. I suppose it could be one license file that unlocks all the movies...

What we are trying to figure out is if you lose the license file in a wipe, how we can back it up so the movies will always be playable.
    dtm backup works...
    12-15-13 05:31 PM
    Nothing yet on the DRM folder location. Maybe Monday. I'm wondering if that is the reason why bb10 videos from world don't play on the pb and not so much the os difference, e.g. you need the DRM license in addition to the video file and that is only located on the device it was d/l on?
    maybe.....
    12-15-13 05:32 PM
    dtm backup works...
    Good to know that at least. I'd still like to backup that DRM folder separately if possible.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    12-15-13 06:49 PM
    Good to know that at least. I'd still like to backup that DRM folder separately if possible.
    yeah,,, that would save time vs. doing a restore,,, maybe one of these guys w/ ghost commander can dig it up,,, i tried it last week, but deleted it once my pb started acting up & i found out it was a droid port...
    Last edited by SEAWARRIOR; 12-16-13 at 11:46 AM.
    12-15-13 10:41 PM
    Well, here is the pathetic reply I got back from Customer Support:

We really appreciate you contacted us. Regarding your questions and concerns about being able to download and save the file of the movies you have previously purchased from the BlackBerry Videostore application on your Playbook into an external memory or your computer, we would like to explain to you that, because of the agreement between BlackBerry Videostore and the studio partners and for copyright policies the movies can only be downloaded and stored within the internal memory of your Playbook to prevent fraudulent copies.

Currently, you will only have the opportunity to download these titles by clearing information you may no longer need or require on your Playbook's memory to have enough space for the other movies to be also stored on your internal memory.

Please feel free to contact us back if you have any other questions or require further assistance. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

The RIM Support Team

I guess I didn't expect anymore from them and we will have to figure it out. I did reply citing what happens after a factory wipe and people with 16 gb PB only being able to buy a couple of movies at most from them. That's stupid.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    12-16-13 09:05 AM
    Well, here is the pathetic reply I got back from Customer Support:

We really appreciate you contacted us. Regarding your questions and concerns about being able to download and save the file of the movies you have previously purchased from the BlackBerry Videostore application on your Playbook into an external memory or your computer, we would like to explain to you that, because of the agreement between BlackBerry Videostore and the studio partners and for copyright policies the movies can only be downloaded and stored within the internal memory of your Playbook to prevent fraudulent copies.

Currently, you will only have the opportunity to download these titles by clearing information you may no longer need or require on your Playbook's memory to have enough space for the other movies to be also stored on your internal memory.

Please feel free to contact us back if you have any other questions or require further assistance. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

The RIM Support Team

I guess I didn't expect anymore from them and we will have to figure it out. I did reply citing what happens after a factory wipe and people with 16 gb PB only being able to buy a couple of movies at most from them. That's stupid.
    that's the lamest response i've ever seen from them,,, maybe go higher on the food chain??? thanks for lookin' into it, Goose...
    12-16-13 11:46 AM
    that's the lamest response i've ever seen from them,,, maybe go higher on the food chain??? thanks for lookin' into it, Goose...
    Nah, I'm not done with 'em yet.You can't sell something and not have a way to back it up or functionally store it.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    12-16-13 11:53 AM
    Nah, I'm not done with 'em yet.You can't sell something and not have a way to back it up or functionally store it.
    sick 'em!!!
    12-16-13 11:59 AM
    Apparently you can.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    12-16-13 12:38 PM
    Apparently you can.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    it can be done via dtm backup/restore,,, what GF wants to do is drag & drop the drm file where the licenses are kept...
    12-16-13 06:03 PM