I've been one of the critics of the PB's way of doing various editing operations. This has me thinking about how things should work. As things are, marking a block of text entails pressing the screen until a pair of tabs appear, and then moving them into position. I find them very fidgety to work with. Zooming helps in a sense, but of course it makes less text visible, so marking then involves more scrolling. Not good.

It seems to me that things would go more smoothly if the virtual keyboard had a button (lower right, maybe) to enter "edit mode". This would replace the keyboard with an arrow key array, a begin-selection and end-selection button (or maybe just a drop anchor) and copy/cut/paste buttons. Completing an operation would take the user back to the regular keyboard. Something like this would make the PB so much easier to work with.

But maybe others have better ideas.
    07-17-11 05:59 PM
    Great idea, but you might want to add it here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...vement-608177/
    To complete your idea, perhaps RIM could show the "Edit mode" when swiping from the bottom-right corner?
    07-17-11 07:24 PM
    When I saw your subject:

"How SHOULD editing operations work?"

All I could think about was:

BETTER!

I've suggested a swipe up from the lower right would open a cursor keypad containing at a minimum up/down/left/right/end/home/pgUp/pgDown. It is too fiddly as it now stands. At least, for some of us. Maybe my hand/eye coordination is not the best but placing the cursor, especially where you canNOT zoom the text-entry box is sometimes painful.

I could accept almost anything that makes it easier.
    07-17-11 08:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD