I am trying to set up wireless sharing between my PB and Ubuntu. I can get Ubuntu to recognize the Media and Certs folders but I can't get to the subfolders because they are file sharing protected via the settings on my PB.

I tried to turn the file sharing password setting OFF on my PB, but it won't allow me to turn it off without entering a password. I am sure I haven't set a password (I've only had the PB for two weeks) and have tried "playbook", "blackberry" and "password". Nothing works.

Is there a default file sharing password for the PB? I am getting a lot of conflicting information from the internet on what the password should be.

I really don't want to do a complete security swipe of the PB to get this sorted out, especially if this is really some sort of bug.

Thanks.
    01-28-12 12:35 PM
    I am running PCLinuxOS and use Konqueror to access/transfer files between my notebook and tablet (BlackBerry PlayBook).

1. Under the Settings (gear icon) on the BlackBerry PlayBook enable Wi-Fi Sharing under Storage & Sharing. A prompt to set a password will be displayed; as a security best practice set it.
    2. Obtain the IP address of the tablet under About -> Network.
    3. Launch Konqueror, for example, and type \\ip_address_of_tablet and press ENTER key.
    4. Click on the media folder and you will likely be prompted for userid and password.

You should now be able to navigate the file system of the tablet and transfer files wirelessly. Enjoy!
    01-28-12 01:00 PM
    I really don't want to do a complete security swipe of the PB to get this sorted out, especially if this is really some sort of bug.
    Kindly cease from attributing your lack of knowledge to "some sort of bug" with the BlackBerry PlayBook. I have provided instructions to allow you to browse the file system on the tablet. If you have any troubles with those instructions I would appreciate hearing back and will work with you to to resolve the problem.
    01-28-12 01:09 PM
    hey 9700, usually us canucks are a little more sympathetic... from my read of the op, he or she (or perhaps someone else) has set the file sharing password and the op doesn't know what it is. IMHO, this can only be resolved by a security wipe.

SlackerBerry: Make sure to back up everything with the BB Desktop Software before doing the wipe so you can restore all your data and programs after the wipe is complete.
    01-28-12 01:21 PM
    hey 9700, usually us canucks are a little more sympathetic... from my read of the op, he or she (or perhaps someone else) has set the file sharing password and the op doesn't know what it is. IMHO, this can only be resolved by a security wipe.

SlackerBerry: Make sure to back up everything with the BB Desktop Software before doing the wipe so you can restore all your data and programs after the wipe is complete.
    I provided step-by-step instructions with an offer of further assistance if necessary in the hopes the OP had simply overlooked an obvious step because he/she had read too much misinformation on other forums. Sympathy does not mean being all sappy as in maple syrup.
    01-28-12 01:55 PM
    Thanks, everyone. I think I know what happened. At some point in the past 2 weeks since I've acquired the PB and have been exploring all the features and options, I must accidentally hit "OK" on the dialogue box for entering a password for filesharing (I definitely did not enter a proper password).

So....when I tried to set up filesharing via wireless, I could not access my PB folders beacause they required a filesharing password.

But...the password was really set to "blank" and when I tried to set a new password using the existing password of "blank", the PB wouldn't let me. So I was caught in an endless loop of not being able to reset the password and not being able to use "blank" as a password for filesharing The PB should NOT have allowed a blank password in the first place (I consider that a flaw).

In the end I did a security wipe, but it wasn't too bad since I didn't have much on the PB anyway.

I've done some googling and it seems others have had problems after inadvertently setting the filesharing password to "blank".

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    01-31-12 06:33 PM
    I am running PCLinuxOS and use Konqueror to access/transfer files between my notebook and tablet (BlackBerry PlayBook).

1. Under the Settings (gear icon) on the BlackBerry PlayBook enable Wi-Fi Sharing under Storage & Sharing. A prompt to set a password will be displayed; as a security best practice set it.
    2. Obtain the IP address of the tablet under About -> Network.
    3. Launch Konqueror, for example, and type \\ip_address_of_tablet and press ENTER key.
    4. Click on the media folder and you will likely be prompted for userid and password.

You should now be able to navigate the file system of the tablet and transfer files wirelessly. Enjoy!

Thanks. I was able to do this, after the wipe. Now I'm good to go!

I appreciate everyone's help and enjoy the Canuck interaction on the CB forum. Makes me really miss the mother country (have been in Atlanta, GA now for almost 20 years!). I went to university in Waterloo, actually.

I love RIM and will keep buying their products!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    01-31-12 06:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD