Hi All,

New to these forums, but looking forward to using this place IF I can get a proper PB going, which brings me to my point. Over the past 2 days I seem to have hit either a big stroke of bad luck or a poor batch of PB's. On Friday I purchased a 32GB playbook for 196 and without looking at it in the store I got home to find a number of dead pixels clustered in the right hand side of the screen with screen bleeding.
    Naturally I thought "well, s*** happens" and went to a seperate branch to get a replacement the next day. The replacement was going fine and dandy till about 3 hours later it developed a large bulge in the centre area and was rather warm during use.

Obviously that ended up going back to the store, but couldnt get a replacement so I ended up getting a refund for tomorrow, where I will go to another branch and buy a PB there (give it one more shot). However, before I do that I would like, if possible, to hear what you guys think of the PB and, most important of all, are they reliable??
    at the moment im stuck on the fence because of these 2 incidents, it looks amazing when it works, and future software and android compatibility gives me hope, but I don't want to end up cooking eggs on it so to speak .

Some help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
    01-07-12 04:15 PM
    Rats...
    All I have to say about that is that I've had mine since NA launch day and I've never had a problem/issue.
    3rd times the charm. Try again, you're gonna love it!
    01-07-12 04:20 PM
    There is a thread here which mentions the bulge:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...k-here-686593/

I have only used mine for a days but no problems yet. Where did you get it from out of interest?

When you get a chance, look at the Beta for 2.0. It has quite a few nice features (like sideloading Androids apps) but is (understandably) not quite as stable in my experience.
    01-07-12 04:26 PM
    Wow, that is a run of bad luck.
    I got my 16GB PB at Xmas and it has been flawless for 3 weeks now. I have been using it for hours each day and have had no sign of the troubles you mentioned.
    Be persistent, I would say the Playbook is worth the wait.
    01-07-12 05:23 PM
    Had one 64g since April. Got 2nd two months ago. No hardware problems with either one.
    If you want a newly mgfg one buy a 64gb. They are all brand new and at great prices.
    Good luck & sorry for you so far.
    01-07-12 05:33 PM
    I bought 32gb PB last April for myself, and then a 16gb PB for my wife last November. My PB gets heavy use on a daily basis. My wife uses her a little less than me, but still uses it just about every day. Both units have been rock solid. No dead pixels. No screen bleed. No bulge. The only problem (if you can call it that) is that from time to time it will get a little sluggish. When it does, I just do a restart and it's right as rain.

The funny thing is that normally I'm the guy that always gets the lemon. Maybe that's why I love my PB as much as I do. It really is the most trouble free piece of tech I have ever owned.
    black hole and Hgouck like this.
    01-07-12 05:38 PM
    I am on my third in a week and a half after the first two having dead pixels and stuck pixels. This one seems perfect though. Lucky getting the 32gig model everywhere i tried had sold out and i couldn't haggle the 64gig for the price of the 32gig
    01-07-12 05:40 PM
    I've had mine a little more than a month. Thus far, no problems (other than the ones I caused during setup). If I were you, I'd give it one more shot.
    01-07-12 05:55 PM
    Sorry to hear about the pb failures you have had. I will not waste your time by telling you my pb specs and how I have no issues. I will tell you that besides a few issue others have posted the vast majority of pb's run perfectly. Rimm makes a great product and when you get your next odds are.it will be fine. My only issue is I wish the battery would last like 20straight hours of operation but thats not gonna happen. I will tell you mine has never crashed and never lost any doxuments and runs smoothly with my cpu. Best of luck.
    01-07-12 06:48 PM
    The funny thing is that normally I'm the guy that always gets the lemon. Maybe that's why I love my PB as much as I do. It really is the most trouble free piece of tech I have ever owned.

Amen!!

I've been saying this too whoever cares to listen since the day I bought mine!!
    justincase1911 likes this.
    01-08-12 06:02 PM

Amen!!

I've been saying this too whoever cares to listen since the day I bought mine!!
    I'm listening and agreeing brotha!
    01-08-12 07:36 PM
    A little odd - this is the first report of a bulge "developing" (in three hours) as it is a manufacturing defect that is either there on day one or it isn't - reference the thread that quarky_uk links to above.:
    01-08-12 07:39 PM
    i honestly dont think the bulge is a big deal. i dont use my pb in the tabletop so i inly know its there when i look for it.
    01-08-12 07:55 PM
    THanks for the feedback spo far guys. It seems I've been extremely lucky over the weekend. Not only did I not manage to find a single 32GB PB in stock, but I got broken into during Sunday evening while I was out with the family. Lucky you say...well if I did get the PB then it would be in the wind by now....and I wouldnt have gotten a 64GB PB for 229 .
    For info on the deal have a look at quidco and carphone warehouse in the UK. CPW has dropped the 64GB to 279 and quidco offer 50 back ontop if you order via them. I called them up to confirm the offer is still on considering the recent price drop and they said yes!

For the UK folks out there, heres the link: Carphone Warehouse Voucher Codes, Cashback & Discount Codes | Quidco

The offer is up for another 2 days, and also covers 16gb PB so get in there while you can.

Guess I'll be giving the PB another shot in the end .
    01-10-12 05:24 AM
    While I didn't have any bulge problems with my PB before I sold it, I did develop a bulge in my pants when I first used it.
    01-10-12 06:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD