OP is an avid enough follower to regurgitate analysis that was done months ago...
    03-29-12 01:26 PM
    with some apps being 700mb or more (im looking at you Modern Combat 2) im glad App world doesn't function on Bridge, if it did do you know how many people would have ultra high bills for going over their data allowance?

something does puzzle me though...

1) Nook books you "share" a nook... well then Branch out and use the Kobo Ereader that came installed
    2) Rhapsody app, how about getting a 64gb and loading your music on, then stop paying for a subscription?
    3) Pandora, could have been side loaded
    4) Fightin Words oh dear, cant have the exact same game on every device? did you even thing to check out the amazing games like Nova2, Modern combat, Asphalt 6, GT Racing HD, Air Attack, Uno, Rocket Storm, Run in Crowd, Doodle Blast, Runik, Bubble Birds, Pixelated, Switchballs.....
    5) Google Maps.. um... Google Maps works just fine for me? whats your issue?
    6) Hulu should have known this before buying, anyone with the knowledge of 2.0 coming out knows what apps arent availible
    7) Netflix same as with Hulu
    8) ANY decent ereader app Kobo for book, Zinio for apps, Sideload Kindle... theres three right there off the top of my head, and book readers only a dollar
    9) ANY decent movie app... what are you watching them on at the moment?

this last one is my main point really.
    you sold your PB, you dont have another Tablet, and you dont want another tablet. so all you have done, is Drop the playbook and everything it can do, in exchange for nothing, which cant do anything. you still dont have Hulu, Netflix, or anything else you listed, sure you do have Pandora and Rhapsody and fightin words, but you had that regardless of playbook ownership. i really dont understand the point of any of this.

your lack of interest in other tablets says to me that you don't have an interest in ANY tablet, even the PB, you bought it for no real reason, probably regretted spending the money immediately after purchase, and since it didn't replace every other gadget you own (or share???) then you tossed it aside?

I have no interest in any tablet right now, that is completely correct. But it wasn't for nothing. My Torch works perfectly minus the small screen and the fact that it is a phone. No movies or TV (ie hulu and netflix). I use the internet for those. I was hoping that the PB could be a larger non-phone friendly device for the non-phone stuff in my travels, and a portable device that I could use when not near an actual computer.

I'm very set in my ways that if I'm paying for subscriptions to things, I'd really prefer not to have to pay to have the same somewhere else. My kid uses the nook (in school and such) so if I had a nook reader then I could read all my PAID for books without having to pay for them again elsewhere. (I didn't care for Kobo). I don't play games really, only the one I mentioned. I was hopeful to be able to continue what I started there. Couldn't find google maps directly unless I went though other parties, which was the case for many ... like sideloading.

Again, all my preferences, but having to hunt, dig, search, and jump through hoops for my faves wasn't something that I had really anticipated. Worst of all, anyone unhappy with the PB seem to feel similarly on many levels. Who wants to do all that work and make all those compromises? Some maybe, unfortunately it's not something one would want to consider when purchasing a tablet.

Luckily I have my Torch and didn't have to compromise much of anything except losing some portability.
    jamesjmunro likes this.
    03-29-12 01:27 PM
    Pretty objective assessment IMO. Yes, Kindle can be side loaded and it's the best ereader available but general public WILL not side load these apps, nor do they recognize these even exist.

I'm keeping mine and trying to put it into the area you have well explained - for work, in my case in the office.
    frannip likes this.
    03-29-12 01:35 PM
    OP is an avid enough follower to regurgitate analysis that was done months ago...
    Very encouraging for any CB newbies. I'll make sure to do months of endless forum research and offer zero thoughts to anyone which it would be helpful for. That would definitely assist RIM sales knowing how happy all their consumers are and how perfect everything is.

At least I received alot of useful information that another reader might also find helpful before having searched months of forum posts to figure out.
    03-29-12 01:38 PM
    I will offer you $50.00 for your used PB. Must be in good working order, have the charger and the micro usb cable. All smudges must be removed. Offer good until midnight tonight EST.
    Wow, you don't think much of the PlayBook, do you, if you think someone should sell it "in good working order, have the charger and the micro usb cable" for 50 bucks?
    03-29-12 01:41 PM
    Very encouraging for any CB newbies. I'll make sure to do months of endless forum research and offer zero thoughts to anyone which it would be helpful for. That would definitely assist RIM sales knowing how happy all their consumers are and how perfect everything is.

At least I received alot of useful information that another reader might also find helpful before having searched months of forum posts to figure out.
    frannip, I think your assessment was very honest and very fair. I have no idea why anyone would take offense at it.
    03-29-12 01:43 PM
    A couple of your issues could be solved like pandora runs on my playbook. I use nobex radio to stream music "while bridged" works great.

I think my playbooks fails in some ways for me also.
    I understand that no one device is going to suit my ever need though.

So I look for what it does do and the fact is that is does a lot for me and I use it all the time.

I recommend you go out and buy a ipad,playbook and a couple Android tablets as well. All of these devices together may suit the needs of someone like yourself who seems to be a bit of a perfectionist.

Nothing wrong with that but one thing is for certain ,if you look for gadgets to perform to your every want and need perfectly ,your gonna have to carry a bookbag full of devices so you get what you need.

My Playbook is great and it suits me perfect.

May you have better luck with your next purchase.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9670 using Tapatalk
    03-29-12 02:06 PM
    I want to go on record as saying that I am an AVID berry lover. If you've seen any of my posts you will see how I've gone from iPhone to the Storm2, then Droid (cuz Storm2 croaked and no other touch options at the time) and then to the Torch 9850 as soon as it came out. I absolutely love my Torch!

Moving on ... with OS2 for the PlayBook out I finally decided NOW is a good time to get it at rock bottom prices. I was so excited when it arrived! Bridged my Torch, hooked up my Wifi, set up my emails, tested out the browser's flash capabilities, very exciting! And then the morning came where all its shortcomings hit me like a ton of bricks. I left for work, Playbook and phone in tow. Go to app world to get ready to check that out .... it doesn't work unless wifi connected. OK ... next, I go to you tube ..... It doesn't work unless wifi connected. OK ... next, go to rhapsody online to listen to my music (been a subscriber since they began) like I did at home to test my flash ... it doesn't work unless wifi connected! GREAT ! At this point I'm completely confused. Browsing the internet when only bridged is slower and more painful than just using my Torch. Bigger screen is pointless if it takes forever. At home I have a computer, no need for a tablet there. At work I have a computer, no need for a tablet there. Maybe my expectations of this tablet being my go-between work and home was unrealistic for my needs??? I figured, well at least let me connect to WIFI and download some apps that are important to me and see what happens.

I get home, am reconnected with my WiFi, and look for ...
    1) Nook books (I am a subscriber and share a Nook) ... not available on the Playbook ... OK
    2) Rhapsody app (it's on my Torch so I'm thinking that's a definite) ... Nope not available either ... OK next,
    3) Pandora, my favorite rhapsody alternative (that I also subscribe to) ... not there either ... REALLY?? Doesn't EVERYONE get Pandora?
    4) Fightin Words (on my Torch and would love a larger screen to play on) ... NADA.
    5) Google Maps ... NO
    6) Hulu (I subscribe to this too), NO.
    7) Netflix (I subscribe to this too), NO.
    8) ANY decent ereader app that is free or low cost since I already subscribe to one, NO.
    9) ANY decent movie app that is free or low cost since I already subscribe to two, NO.

So basically, in the business world if I was all about spreadsheets, presentations, word documents, jotting notes, etc the PlayBook is amazing. Anything else? I'm sure it COULD be amazing but for right now it has some very serious shortcomings FOR ME. I pay for all of those music, movie, TV etc subscriptions so that I have access to these things over the internet when away from its source. I always delayed getting a tablet (would only consider playbook) because my phone was pretty darn great and did most of what I needed. However I'm a firm believer that a phone should be a great phone first and some basics (like email, text, FB). All the other bells and whistles, a tablet!

I was under the impression that the bridging would substitute the WiFi connection at least enough to stream data. I figured I could download some apps that didn't require a Wifi connection to run (like ebooks) and I could still benefit from no WiFi connection. I was wrong in every assumption.

In all fairness, the playbook is an amazing device. It functions fantastically well for what it CAN do. Graphics are excellent. Sound is great! Yeah, I could PAY $20/month for 2gigs tethering to solve some of my issues, but I would likely blow through that in no time (no fault of the Playbook). The whole thing that attracted me to it in the first place was the bridging thinking I could do more with it (my fault).

My personal opinion is that it is really not READY for marketing to the general public and instead should be marketed to businesses for business needs. I am giving mine to a friend who needs it for exactly those purposes. Hate to see it go to waste.

I feel as though RIM's failure to market to the appropriate clientele is what will cause the demise of the PlayBook. I LOVE BERRY, but the PlayBook for me was a tremendous disappointment because I had expectations of it that were completely out of reach ... at least for today ... because of how it was marketed.

Bash me if you must ... this is entirely my own opinion. Hopefully this will help put some realistic thoughts into anyone considering the PlayBook so that it gets purchased and used for the appropriate needs.

Sorry RIM
    I'm not going to bash you, it's unfortunate that the Playbook does not efficiently do what it is you want it to do. But you do understand that not everyone uses their Playbook in the same way and for some of us it is more than adequate.
    frannip likes this.
    03-29-12 02:07 PM
    " I was hoping that the PB could be a larger non-phone friendly device for the non-phone stuff in my travels, and a portable device that I could use when not near an actual computer.
    "

That's exactly what the Playbook is???

03-29-12 02:19 PM
    I'm not going to bash you, it's unfortunate that the Playbook does not efficiently do what it is you want it to do. But you do understand that not everyone uses their Playbook in the same way and for some of us it is more than adequate.
    I absolutely do and respect that fact completely. But it appears by other replies in this thread that the part where I say "for me" and "my needs" doesn't seem to be understood in the same capacity.

My Torch does just about everything that I want. Having something substitute it for the other not absolutely necessary fun things that I like was a hopeful. I held out for the Torch because I didn't like any other phones out there, and that completely paid off. I have faith that this will too
    03-29-12 02:36 PM
    I never said it crashed. It just works much slower than my phone's browser when bridged, causing me to just refer to my phone.
    I know, it was regarding another post, relax ;-)
    frannip likes this.
    03-29-12 03:04 PM

If you had posted your list of wants prior to or just after acquiring the Playbook and asked for alternatives or similar apps, then you would have gotten help. You didn't ask for help. You posted a review based on limited info/experience. It's not a fair assessment.

It doesn't take months of searching the forums to find out about any of the apps you mentioned. Netflix/Hulu/Skype have been on-going topics almost daily. A simple Google search would tell you about the others.
    03-29-12 04:07 PM
    A couple of your issues could be solved like pandora runs on my playbook. I use nobex radio to stream music "while bridged" works great.

I think my playbooks fails in some ways for me also.
    I understand that no one device is going to suit my ever need though.

So I look for what it does do and the fact is that is does a lot for me and I use it all the time.

I recommend you go out and buy a ipad,playbook and a couple Android tablets as well. All of these devices together may suit the needs of someone like yourself who seems to be a bit of a perfectionist.

Nothing wrong with that but one thing is for certain ,if you look for gadgets to perform to your every want and need perfectly ,your gonna have to carry a bookbag full of devices so you get what you need.

My Playbook is great and it suits me perfect.

May you have better luck with your next purchase.

The iPad would do everything he wants with a slight more awkward multitasking interface.
    03-30-12 05:17 AM
    Dude, seriously, do some research before you buy things. Most of your complaints have been discussed earlier. You could save yourself lots of troubles if you do that.

I want to go on record as saying that I am an AVID berry lover. If you've seen any of my posts you will see how I've gone from iPhone to the Storm2, then Droid (cuz Storm2 croaked and no other touch options at the time) and then to the Torch 9850 as soon as it came out. I absolutely love my Torch!

Moving on ... with OS2 for the PlayBook out I finally decided NOW is a good time to get it at rock bottom prices. I was so excited when it arrived! Bridged my Torch, hooked up my Wifi, set up my emails, tested out the browser's flash capabilities, very exciting! And then the morning came where all its shortcomings hit me like a ton of bricks. I left for work, Playbook and phone in tow. Go to app world to get ready to check that out .... it doesn't work unless wifi connected. OK ... next, I go to you tube ..... It doesn't work unless wifi connected. OK ... next, go to rhapsody online to listen to my music (been a subscriber since they began) like I did at home to test my flash ... it doesn't work unless wifi connected! GREAT ! At this point I'm completely confused. Browsing the internet when only bridged is slower and more painful than just using my Torch. Bigger screen is pointless if it takes forever. At home I have a computer, no need for a tablet there. At work I have a computer, no need for a tablet there. Maybe my expectations of this tablet being my go-between work and home was unrealistic for my needs??? I figured, well at least let me connect to WIFI and download some apps that are important to me and see what happens.

I get home, am reconnected with my WiFi, and look for ...
    1) Nook books (I am a subscriber and share a Nook) ... not available on the Playbook ... OK
    2) Rhapsody app (it's on my Torch so I'm thinking that's a definite) ... Nope not available either ... OK next,
    3) Pandora, my favorite rhapsody alternative (that I also subscribe to) ... not there either ... REALLY?? Doesn't EVERYONE get Pandora?
    4) Fightin Words (on my Torch and would love a larger screen to play on) ... NADA.
    5) Google Maps ... NO
    6) Hulu (I subscribe to this too), NO.
    7) Netflix (I subscribe to this too), NO.
    8) ANY decent ereader app that is free or low cost since I already subscribe to one, NO.
    9) ANY decent movie app that is free or low cost since I already subscribe to two, NO.

So basically, in the business world if I was all about spreadsheets, presentations, word documents, jotting notes, etc the PlayBook is amazing. Anything else? I'm sure it COULD be amazing but for right now it has some very serious shortcomings FOR ME. I pay for all of those music, movie, TV etc subscriptions so that I have access to these things over the internet when away from its source. I always delayed getting a tablet (would only consider playbook) because my phone was pretty darn great and did most of what I needed. However I'm a firm believer that a phone should be a great phone first and some basics (like email, text, FB). All the other bells and whistles, a tablet!

I was under the impression that the bridging would substitute the WiFi connection at least enough to stream data. I figured I could download some apps that didn't require a Wifi connection to run (like ebooks) and I could still benefit from no WiFi connection. I was wrong in every assumption.

In all fairness, the playbook is an amazing device. It functions fantastically well for what it CAN do. Graphics are excellent. Sound is great! Yeah, I could PAY $20/month for 2gigs tethering to solve some of my issues, but I would likely blow through that in no time (no fault of the Playbook). The whole thing that attracted me to it in the first place was the bridging thinking I could do more with it (my fault).

My personal opinion is that it is really not READY for marketing to the general public and instead should be marketed to businesses for business needs. I am giving mine to a friend who needs it for exactly those purposes. Hate to see it go to waste.

I feel as though RIM's failure to market to the appropriate clientele is what will cause the demise of the PlayBook. I LOVE BERRY, but the PlayBook for me was a tremendous disappointment because I had expectations of it that were completely out of reach ... at least for today ... because of how it was marketed.

Bash me if you must ... this is entirely my own opinion. Hopefully this will help put some realistic thoughts into anyone considering the PlayBook so that it gets purchased and used for the appropriate needs.

Sorry RIM
    03-30-12 10:54 AM
    Well it IS a case of buyer beware.. and as a CB regular i cannot believe you didnt hop in here and checkout those "if only it had x, y, z app" threads!..

I suggest the samsung galaxy note 7 plus as the tablet for you..
    03-30-12 11:22 AM
    It really was no trouble at all. I enjoyed the hands on learning experience and sometimes just prefer my own opinion/experiences over what others might have said/felt. All in all, I really DID love the playbooks technical features, the feel and size of it, its seamless multitasking ability, amazing browser and flash capabilities. As a tablet it far exceeds the others IMHO.

I'm sure at some point, if we make enough noise, all those "wish list" desires will become available. I will definitely be back then .

Thanks all!!
    04-03-12 10:28 AM

So basically, in the business world if I was all about spreadsheets, presentations, word documents, jotting notes, etc the PlayBook is amazing. Anything else?
    Unfortunately the playbook will disappointment you in that area as well. I know I am.
    04-03-12 11:26 AM
    Unfortunately the playbook will disappointment you in that area as well. I know I am.
    I have no problems using the PB for business. Just don't use it much as a browser/media player. Been using it at work since the day it came out.
    04-03-12 11:32 AM
    Troll thread. Apple failed me because it does not have Bridge or Flash.
    Move along.
    04-03-12 11:42 AM
    Professional-Grade is my response....the earnings call today should be a homerun...
    I really wish people would retire the "Professional Grade" nonsense. It isn't and has embarrassed RIM enough. That is one that I would bet they would like to take back. If it is professional grade, I'd like to know the profession. Having Bridge certainly does not make it professional - it is limited to people with Blackberry phones (a minority of PB users). Beyond that, Docs to Go is mediocre and other business apps are as lacking as all other app types.
    kennyliu likes this.
    04-03-12 11:59 AM
    I really wish people would retire the "Professional Grade" nonsense. It isn't and has embarrassed RIM enough. That is one that I would bet they would like to take back. If it is professional grade, I'd like to know the profession. Having Bridge certainly does not make it professional - it is limited to people with Blackberry phones (a minority of PB users). Beyond that, Docs to Go is mediocre and other business apps are as lacking as all other app types.
    You're saying that bb owners are a minority when it comes to owning a pb? So the majority of owners bought a tablet that needed a bb to be useful? Although it think it was useful without having to own a bb before PIM came.
    04-03-12 12:05 PM
    Agree.

I move around alot in my line of work. I take pictures of projects on site with my BB Torch and bought the playbook because I needed a way to write reports in the field without lugging my laptop along and include the pics in them and send the word document off via e-mail. Simple right? Not very intense requirement for a tablet that is professional grade correct?

BUT, you don't get an easy way to transfer pictures from BB phones to PB. You can view the pics on PB through bridge but can't save it unless you do that silly screenshot thing! And I have to do 10 or more of them at one go and god knows how many times a day. I gave up! Then you can't insert pics into wordtogo! But your friend on an Android and iOS gets a better version of WordToGo. WTH!!!

Can't highlight or bookmark PDFs. Can't organize document folders or drag documents to folders in the native File Manager! Who exactly was PB created for?? My grandmother to look up recipes on the web??

So much things I love about the PB (size, QNX, flash in browser, speed, the looks, bridge) but it just fails so miserably in meeting the minimums for work. And I can tell you I didn't think I had to reseach on all these before buying the PB! Its like buying a ferrari only to find out that the engine has a limiter in place that only allows you to travel at 40mph on 2nd gear. Great looking car with so much potential but not very useful. No wonder people would rather buy a toyota made in cupertino! Jeezz!
    04-03-12 10:24 PM
    Not sure why you had app issues while bridged. All my apps work bridged. Youtube is specifically one you mentioned that I find works good over bridge.

Appworld is known not to work over bridge. That is about the only thing I know that does not.

I also a have a 9850 and find the bridge data speeds to be pretty darned good.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    04-03-12 10:48 PM
    Don't know what is wrong with yours but most things work using bridge.
    Almost none of the features/apps he listed works with the bridge either. Nook, hulu, none of them.
    sagec likes this.
    04-03-12 10:53 PM
    The only individual app that I cannot get to work using Bridge is Sketch W/ Friends, well that is apps that I have on my own Playbook. Maybe there are others, but I haven't seen any...
    04-04-12 12:05 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD